U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2019, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,767 posts, read 21,066,894 times
Reputation: 20862

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Does this answer your question?


"Unauthorized immigrants account for 18 percent of workers in agriculture, 13 percent in construction and 10 percent in leisure and hospitality, according to a 2016 report by the National Bureau of Economic Research. They make up 5 percent of the total private sector workforce and generate 3 percent of gross domestic product. Over 10 years, their departure would cost the economy nearly $5 trillion."




http://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/...206-story.html


Leaving aside E-Verify is based upon government databases that can be (and in a good number of instances) are filled with errors; there is the real nitty-gritty.


Business owners both GOP and DNC depend upon illegal immigrant labor. It is true in New York as it is in Florida, Texas, South Carolina, Alabama and so forth. Remove illegals from the scene and employers will either have to jack up their prices in attempts to find money for higher wages to induce Americans (not always successful), and or simply go out of business for lack of employees.


One of the largest groups hurt across the board would be women. Deprived of "cheap" domestic help they would either have to pay more, or be the ones stuck at home taking care of their own homes, children, elderly parents, and so forth. Oh and Mr. Chuck would have to get up and mow his own lawn and do the landscaping.


In order to remotely make E-Verify work would require a huge undertaking to verify all SS and other databases were correct. Do you know how many Americans/legal aliens under age 65 alone have Social Security numbers. For each that are potentially employable would require some sort of outreach to verify current information is correct.
I call BS on this opinion piece. Citizens held those jobs prior to the illegal invasion and citizens will hold those jobs after they leave. The revenue generated by cheap wages goes in the pockets as profit of the company owners. Boo hoo wealthy business owners will have to reduce their profits to pay a living wage to US citizens. There was 69 billion in remittances to Latin America and the Caribbean in 2016. Forty percent of that to Mexico.

"Women will be the largest group hurt because they will have to take care of their own homes, children and elderly parents" LMFAO. So we shouldn't try to reduce the number of illegal aliens working in the US illegally driving down wages because uptown wife's husband wont be able to afford to pay the nanny? And heaven forbid some dude has to mow their own lawn. Cry me a river. Seriously, this is the **** that is important to Americans.

And lastly, do you realize Social Security numbers are already in a database and used to verify who people are? Its a computer match. Takes a computer what, all of a minute. Back in my day working in government gimmie programs we had a really big book that had names and associated ss# for those whose income was from ss or ssi so we could verify income for eligibility. One actually had to look at the alphabetical list and match the name with the ss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2019, 10:23 AM
 
1,466 posts, read 411,913 times
Reputation: 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Although I do believe we need both of these AND a wall, illegals use stolen identities (papeles chuecos). Everify won't stop those and you're unfairly punishing the employer in those cases of they didn't know.

How many Democrats will vote for everify and the punishment when they don't get enough GOP votes?
There is a way to trace the fake IDs to find out they are fake. No one is monitoring this yet.
Also, tons of temp agencies (ive dealt with many of them) grab any illegals with fake IDs and send them to companies for work. They dont always check the IDs because they make money of the temp workers.

Theres alot of ways to nip the illegal works in the bud, but for some reason, the "wall chanters" refuse to look at prosecuting the people that hire them, especially the cash ones.

Not to mention that the government makes money off illegals paying into the system with these fake SS#s, but cant collect on it. They start over when they become citizens.

Its always about money, this issue will never be fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 10:33 AM
 
3,531 posts, read 623,567 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
There is a way to trace the fake IDs to find out they are fake. No one is monitoring this yet.
Also, tons of temp agencies (ive dealt with many of them) grab any illegals with fake IDs and send them to companies for work. They dont always check the IDs because they make money of the temp workers.

Theres alot of ways to nip the illegal works in the bud, but for some reason, the "wall chanters" refuse to look at prosecuting the people that hire them, especially the cash ones.

Not to mention that the government makes money off illegals paying into the system with these fake SS#s, but cant collect on it. They start over when they become citizens.

Its always about money, this issue will never be fixed.
Thank you for this.

Everything is getting worse and will continue to get worse as long as Trump and his Republicans are in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 10:49 AM
 
1,466 posts, read 411,913 times
Reputation: 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Thank you for this.

Everything is getting worse and will continue to get worse as long as Trump and his Republicans are in office.
I also forgot to mention that Republicans won’t get votes if they enforce laws that get their donors and base prosecuted for hiring illegals. Follow the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,767 posts, read 21,066,894 times
Reputation: 20862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I also forgot to mention that Republicans won’t get votes if they enforce laws that get their donors and base prosecuted for hiring illegals. Follow the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Thank you for this.

Everything is getting worse and will continue to get worse as long as Trump and his Republicans are in office.
I'm not sure how you are putting this on Republicans and Trump and claiming it will get worse as long as they are in office. Illegal immigration has been and ongoing and increasing problem through both Democratic and Republican administrations. Trump is actually trying to combat illegal immigration. Neither republicans nor democrats are serious about enforcing immigration laws or putting the onus on employers. They are all more interested in their own bottom line, money, power, votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 11:50 AM
 
64,762 posts, read 29,119,939 times
Reputation: 8277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I call BS on this opinion piece. Citizens held those jobs prior to the illegal invasion and citizens will hold those jobs after they leave. The revenue generated by cheap wages goes in the pockets as profit of the company owners. Boo hoo wealthy business owners will have to reduce their profits to pay a living wage to US citizens. There was 69 billion in remittances to Latin America and the Caribbean in 2016. Forty percent of that to Mexico.

"Women will be the largest group hurt because they will have to take care of their own homes, children and elderly parents" LMFAO. So we shouldn't try to reduce the number of illegal aliens working in the US illegally driving down wages because uptown wife's husband wont be able to afford to pay the nanny? And heaven forbid some dude has to mow their own lawn. Cry me a river. Seriously, this is the **** that is important to Americans.

And lastly, do you realize Social Security numbers are already in a database and used to verify who people are? Its a computer match. Takes a computer what, all of a minute. Back in my day working in government gimmie programs we had a really big book that had names and associated ss# for those whose income was from ss or ssi so we could verify income for eligibility. One actually had to look at the alphabetical list and match the name with the ss.
The farm that employed Mollie Tibbetts' illegal alien killer used that SS system to verify employees. As he was using a stolen identity that matched the stolen SS#, he appeared to the farm owners that he was legit.

It's doubtful e-verify would have identified him as an unauthorized worker, as well. E-verify misses 54% of illegal alien unauthorized workers because they're using stolen/forged IDs and SS#s. E-verify has no way to detect that.

We just need to close the southern border off to everything and everyone but verified international trade transportation or those with verified work visas. Require all foreigners to enter via airports or seaports, where they must submit a passport from their home country for entry into the US. The benefit of doing so is that we now have a documented identity for each alien, instead of them presenting at the southern border claiming they have no ID or documentation and saying whatever the hell they want as to who and how old they are. Track every alien admitted at an airport/seaport. If they overstay their visa, etc., deport them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 12:50 PM
 
5,847 posts, read 3,361,913 times
Reputation: 6876
There was a case recently of an Irish Independent Electrical Contractor who overstayed his Visa. ICE deported him. How would E-Verify have helped in this case? You want private homeowners hiring contractors to use E-Verify?

Years ago I hired a Nanny/Housekeeper for my Newborn. I went by word of mouth recommendations from friends. She was from Guinea. Was she legal? Was she a citizen? I never asked her. Paid her weekly wages in cash. Never entered my mind to even question her about her legal status. All I was concerned about was if she would be a good caretaker for my child, and her price was reasonable. She talked all the time about HER Country and family back home. But then my Irish Naturalized RN Aunt, did the same when I was growing up.

She became more than hired help. When I didn't need her help anymore, we both cried when I let her go. Wished her and her family good luck. I will never forget her. You people don't care about HUMAN relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
7,209 posts, read 11,958,885 times
Reputation: 5970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
There was a case recently of an Irish Independent Electrical Contractor who overstayed his Visa. ICE deported him. How would E-Verify have helped in this case? You want private homeowners hiring contractors to use E-Verify?

Years ago I hired a Nanny/Housekeeper for my Newborn. I went by word of mouth recommendations from friends. She was from Guinea. Was she legal? Was she a citizen? I never asked her. Paid her weekly wages in cash. Never entered my mind to even question her about her legal status. All I was concerned about was if she would be a good caretaker for my child, and her price was reasonable. She talked all the time about HER Country and family back home. But then my Irish Naturalized RN Aunt, did the same when I was growing up.

She became more than hired help. When I didn't need her help anymore, we both cried when I let her go. Wished her and her family good luck. I will never forget her. You people don't care about HUMAN relationships.
And you don't care about all the legal American citizens who have lost their jobs and livelihood to the scourge of illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,767 posts, read 21,066,894 times
Reputation: 20862
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The farm that employed Mollie Tibbetts' illegal alien killer used that SS system to verify employees. As he was using a stolen identity that matched the stolen SS#, he appeared to the farm owners that he was legit.

It's doubtful e-verify would have identified him as an unauthorized worker, as well. E-verify misses 54% of illegal alien unauthorized workers because they're using stolen/forged IDs and SS#s. E-verify has no way to detect that.

We just need to close the southern border off to everything and everyone but verified international trade transportation or those with verified work visas. Require all foreigners to enter via airports or seaports, where they must submit a passport from their home country for entry into the US. The benefit of doing so is that we now have a documented identity for each alien, instead of them presenting at the southern border claiming they have no ID or documentation and saying whatever the hell they want as to who and how old they are. Track every alien admitted at an airport/seaport. If they overstay their visa, etc., deport them.
Do we have the expectation that e-verify will be 100% effective? So we believe there so many other government agency verification systems are 100% effective.
How was the study conducted that states 54 % of illegal alien unauthorized worker were missed because of stolen IDs. According to statistics from DHS for FY2017 this is not the case. If you read the actual study, well here is a quote "Westat estimates that overall, E-Verify queries result in an accurate response 96 percent of the time and an inaccurate response 4.1 percent of the time. But only 6.2 percent of
all E-Verify queries relate to unauthorized workers. Westat estimates that, primarily
due to identity fraud, approximately half (54 percent with a plausible range of 37 to 64
percent) of unauthorized workers run through E-Verify receive an inaccurate finding of
being work authorized. As a result, the 54 percent statistic relates only to the 6.2
percent figure,
as shown in Graph 1 above, and means that of all E-Verify queries, only
approximately 3.3 percent are for unauthorized workers that were incorrectly found
work authorized. "
https://www.e-verify.gov/sites/defau...fyEval2010.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 02:23 PM
 
34,388 posts, read 15,491,495 times
Reputation: 9131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
There was a case recently of an Irish Independent Electrical Contractor who overstayed his Visa. ICE deported him. How would E-Verify have helped in this case? You want private homeowners hiring contractors to use E-Verify?

Years ago I hired a Nanny/Housekeeper for my Newborn. I went by word of mouth recommendations from friends. She was from Guinea. Was she legal? Was she a citizen? I never asked her. Paid her weekly wages in cash. Never entered my mind to even question her about her legal status. All I was concerned about was if she would be a good caretaker for my child, and her price was reasonable. She talked all the time about HER Country and family back home. But then my Irish Naturalized RN Aunt, did the same when I was growing up.

She became more than hired help. When I didn't need her help anymore, we both cried when I let her go. Wished her and her family good luck. I will never forget her. You people don't care about HUMAN relationships.

I feel that those who hire illegals or don't care one way or the other are not being humane to the American worker/taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top