U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:11 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,305,486 times

Advertisements

So let’s just get rid of speed limits then.
People are always in a hurry and WILL
speed to save precious time. We can also
end police speed monitoring and enforcement
as well.

The whole thing about enforcing speed limits
to save lives is fascist anyway. Speeders deserve
dignity!! They also help the economy by not being
late to work and getting to the store before it closes
to shop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 06:44 AM

74,422 posts, read 31,834,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
So letís just get rid of speed limits then.
People are always in a hurry and WILL
speed to save precious time. We can also
end police speed monitoring and enforcement
as well.

The whole thing about enforcing speed limits
to save lives is fascist anyway. Speeders deserve
dignity!! They also help the economy by not being
late to work and getting to the store before it closes
to shop!
Speed limits stop the vast majority. Walls as they can be built here will not stop a single person that wants to come. There are simply too many other ways to get here.

As long as the jobs are here, they will come. I would do the same.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:49 AM

65,006 posts, read 29,260,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No, I'm suggesting that a law on its own (and we already have a law requiring lawful presence in our country before you can have a job on the books legally . . . it just isn't being followed) isn't enough and won't come close solving the problem. That's not a reason not to have said law. But you need more than that if you're serious about solving the problem. That's where the wall comes in.
Exactly.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:17 AM

34,740 posts, read 15,367,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
My argument was that it will stop no one that wants to come here. As long as the jobs are here, they will come. I would do the same.
That does NOT men we should abandon ALL efforts to stop as many as we can.
Or are you suggesting we just throw in the towel and let EVERYONE in the world who wants to come here be allowed to do so without any effort to stop them?

I am NOT of the "defeatist attitude" claim we CAN"T DO ANYTHING about it.

Our history tell us we can do ANYTHING we put our minds to.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
That does NOT men we should abandon ALL efforts to stop as many as we can.
When we start doing that, we can discuss it.

Quote:
Or are you suggesting we just throw in the towel and let EVERYONE in the world who wants to come here be allowed to do so without any effort to stop them?

I am NOT of the "defeatist attitude" claim we CAN"T DO ANYTHING about it.

Our history tell us we can do ANYTHING we put our minds to.
My views are not unknown. Mandatory e-verify with strong enforcement and repercussions for hiring those here illegally. That will address the reason they come and those already here.

Nobody is pushing that. No one.

Why?

Old 02-24-2019, 10:46 AM

34,511 posts, read 15,571,486 times
The wall will stop many no matter how badly they want to come here. There are places on the border where the good barriers have been erected and it has reduced illegal entry significantly. Not all illegals are coming here for jobs either. Certainly criminals and terrorists aren't coming here to work. Unless we deny their kids our birthright citizenship and benefits removing the job incentive won't do it all on it's own. Many would still continue to work for cash. Better to deter as many as we can at the border with good physical barriers than to allow them to get in here where they are much harder to weed out and more expensive to do so.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:41 AM

20,910 posts, read 21,129,326 times
Quote:
We can not build a wall that will keep a single person out that really wants in. If the jobs are being offered, they are going to get in.
So we should just let them all in because if they really really want in they will find a way?

Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No, I'm suggesting that a law on its own (and we already have a law requiring lawful presence in our country before you can have a job on the books legally . . . it just isn't being followed) isn't enough and won't come close solving the problem. That's not a reason not to have said law. But you need more than that if you're serious about solving the problem. That's where the wall comes in.
agreed.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So we should just let them all in because if they really really want in they will find a way?
I've addressed what we should do. Address what I said or continue to make things up to argue against.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I've addressed what we should do. Address what I said or continue to make things up to argue against.
Why do you argue against the wall. There are posters who argue e-verify is not 100% and illegals who really want to work here get around it.

Most posters seem to feel a combination of a wall (physical barrier), e-verify, and stiff fines/punishment for employers who hire illegals is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or