Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 01:02 PM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do we have the expectation that e-verify will be 100% effective? So we believe there so many other government agency verification systems are 100% effective.
How was the study conducted that states 54 % of illegal alien unauthorized worker were missed because of stolen IDs. According to statistics from DHS for FY2017 this is not the case. If you read the actual study, well here is a quote "Westat estimates that overall, E-Verify queries result in an accurate response 96 percent of the time and an inaccurate response 4.1 percent of the time. But only 6.2 percent of
all E-Verify queries relate to unauthorized workers. Westat estimates that, primarily
due to identity fraud, approximately half (54 percent with a plausible range of 37 to 64
percent) of unauthorized workers run through E-Verify receive an inaccurate finding of
being work authorized. As a result, the 54 percent statistic relates only to the 6.2
percent figure,
as shown in Graph 1 above, and means that of all E-Verify queries, only
approximately 3.3 percent are for unauthorized workers that were incorrectly found
work authorized. "
https://www.e-verify.gov/sites/defau...fyEval2010.pdf
I posted a link to the study: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...12-16-09_2.pdf

And as to your faulty logic, why do you believe illegal aliens would not comprise 6.2% of the working population and therefore 6.2% of those employers tried to vet via e-verify? The Yale/MIT study concludes there are at least 22 million illegal aliens in the US. That's 6.8% of the US population. So, as to the 6.2% that comprise illegal aliens vetted via e-verify, e-verify misses 54% of them due to identity theft/fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 10:28 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Trump just announced increased funding for AI research. He obviously wants to move up the timeline for automating the workforce. I think we already have advanced AI already, but it’s classified. They will have to build off what the private sector has currently, while denying outsiders any practical way of weaponizing it.

So imagine widespread AI automation in 10 years instead of 20. That’s equates to 10’s of millions in fewer immigrants in the long run. Problem is, that’s when a lot and I mean a lot of Indians and Africans will be ready to migrate. 100 million easily.

IMO businesses will NEVER be directly targeted by enforcement. And it’s only logical that the government would never implement a viable Everify system, since their getting easy tax money out of it. You can only fathom as to why their letting illegals file for tax refunds
and credits. Maybe that’s going a “step to far”, for them.

Sad way to pad ones conscience. Slavery has different intensities like rape and murder. We’ve reached the manslaughter equivalent and somehow feel vindicated.

Last edited by UrbanQuest; 02-17-2019 at 10:38 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 07:36 AM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
who is talking about eTIN?
I dont know about eTIN but your post stating 4.4 million income tax returns filers used a ITIN because they were not eligible for a social. Most of those are working in the US legally. So you are talking about ITIN numbers in your attempt to justify illegal aliens working illegally in the US in that they contribute in taxes when in reality that number is largely legal foreign workers.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I posted a link to the study: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...12-16-09_2.pdf

And as to your faulty logic, why do you believe illegal aliens would not comprise 6.2% of the working population and therefore 6.2% of those employers tried to vet via e-verify? The Yale/MIT study concludes there are at least 22 million illegal aliens in the US. That's 6.8% of the US population. So, as to the 6.2% that comprise illegal aliens vetted via e-verify, e-verify misses 54% of them due to identity theft/fraud.
The logic is not mine. That came straight from the study conducted by Westat that you linked. 54% of the 6.2 %, not 54% of e-verifies.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:13 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
All this talk about the wall funding is really getting on my nerves. Simply because the wall is totally, absolutely unnecessary. If Trump and the Republicans were actually serious about illegal immigration, they could end it tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow. How? Make E-Verify mandatory for every single job hire, coupled with sky-high fines for violators. Overnight, millions of illegals would be thrown out of work. They'd have no choice but to go home of their own accord. And nobody in their right mind would bother coming over illegally, since there would be no jobs to be had, unless you were a citizen or had a valid work permit.

So, why won't they do this? It's a system which has proven to be highly effective and would require no time at all to implement. Maybe the whole wall thing is just smoke and mirrors to score votes in the next election? Sigh.
I haven't looked through every post but I'm sure it's been said already. You would still have under the table work, which accounts for a significant chunk of illegal immigrant jobs now. Requiring e-verify won't dissuade lawbreakers (both employers and illegal immigrants) from continuing to do what they already do in such cases: break the law.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I haven't looked through every post but I'm sure it's been said already. You would still have under the table work, which accounts for a significant chunk of illegal immigrant jobs now. Requiring e-verify won't dissuade lawbreakers (both employers and illegal immigrants) from continuing to do what they already do in such cases: break the law.
If as an employer you are unable to deduct this from your taxes the additional taxes you pay would go a long ways to covering the costs of your illegal employee's. Does it then not become financially smart to hire and pay people here legally?

Old 02-20-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Are you suggesting that if a law or deterrent or obstacle such as a wall, fence, locks, security system, prison, fines, etc. is not 100% effective in stopping illegal activity then there is no point in implementing any deterrents?

Old 02-20-2019, 07:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that if a law or deterrent or obstacle such as a wall, fence, locks, security system, prison, fines, etc. is not 100% effective in stopping illegal activity then there is no point in implementing any deterrents?
The argument is mandatory e-verify with stiff enforcement is a better deterrent but no one is pushing that.

Ask yourself why.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The argument is mandatory e-verify with stiff enforcement is a better deterrent but no one is pushing that.

Ask yourself why.
I know why.
It seems poster prospectheightsresident was arguing against e-verify because there will still be under the table cash payments to illegals.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:13 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
The logic is not mine. That came straight from the study conducted by Westat that you linked. 54% of the 6.2 %, not 54% of e-verifies.
You're still not getting it. Faulty logic. 6.8% of the US population are illegal aliens (Yale/MIT study). When employers use e-verify, they e-verify all hirees. To not do so would be illegal discrimination per the Civil Rights Act. So why do you think illegal aliens wouldn't comprise 6.2% of all those vetted via e-verify when illegal liens comprise 6.8% of the US population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration