U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:22 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,242,784 times

Advertisements

For those who think illegal immigration is something new, and for those who think farmers in California, Arizona and Texas relying on immigrant labor is also something recent, you need to watch the following move from 1949. Yes, that's 1949, seventy years ago! If nothing else, just watch the first 3 minutes or so, which outlines the issue behind the movie, and explains that, even back in 1949, farmers there were dependent upon Mexican labor to harvest their crops:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zmkpi

As as aside, it was one of Ricardo Montalban's early movies. Here is the Wiki article on it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Incident

That's correct: Even in 1949 it was difficult to get American natives to harvest crops along the border and they relied on Mexican labor to do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 10:07 AM

10,902 posts, read 7,719,564 times
Illegal immigration has always been a problem but it really exploded the day that our elected stopped enforcing immigration laws and set up so called Sanctuary states/cities.

It wasn't that long ago that border security was deemed important enough by both parties but now it has become a joke, a political football and the one man that actually wants to tackle it and do something about it is attacked for his attempts to protect America. Go figure.

I watched the first 3 minutes of the movie and it was funny to see Ricardo arrive by "De Plane De Plane"...

It looks like what was happening in 1949 is still happening today. Most migrant workers obey the law but some do not and they pay the price as the movie said in "human suffering and injustice". Trump is right to call what is going on at the border today a humanitarian crisis and he is also correct to try and help the people on both sides of the border by declaring a National Emergency.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:10 AM

3,250 posts, read 1,328,541 times
So, we can agree that we should have started building a wall at least 70 years ago, but since we didn't, we need to do in now.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:15 AM

12,678 posts, read 8,033,790 times
Hard to beat these Lefties with their ever expanding discovery of new facts.
Now they have discovered that immigration has always been a problem.

Did their teachers never require reading of such things as "Grapes of Wrath" or "The Harvest Gypsies"? I know it is hard for some of them, but history did not begin the day they were born.
Be advised, Lefties: We live today, right here in America. No one is trying to stop immigration. We are opposed to immigration that is illegal. It is illegal for good reason.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hard to beat these Lefties with their ever expanding discovery of new facts.
Speaking of facts, here's another fact: Even back in 1949, American natives did not want to pick crops, and so farmers relied on immigrant labor. If American natives did not want to pick crops in 1949, what makes anyone think they'd be willing to do it now?

Old 03-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Speaking of facts, here's another fact: Even back in 1949, American natives did not want to pick crops, and so farmers relied on immigrant labor. If American natives did not want to pick crops in 1949, what makes anyone think they'd be willing to do it now?

That is true. Have you ever worked out in a garden for a few hours under the hot sun, it is hard work, never mind doing it all day long like those migrants do.

In the movie you linked they said that MOST migrant workers follow the law and honor the agreement between Mexico and the US. We still have that agreement today and it works. What is not working are the ones that sneak in, present false documents or otherwise lie to beat and con the system. They are criminals that will no doubt go on to break other laws.

I don't know why this is such a difficult concept to understand?

LEGAL immigration is GOOD and a POSITIVE for America and the people involved.

ILLEGAL immigration is BAD and a NEGATIVE for America and the people involved.

It is as simple as that.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
That is true. Have you ever worked out in a garden for a few hours under the hot sun, it is hard work, never mind doing it all day long like those migrants do.
Yes I have, and no, I would not want to do that all day long.

Quote:
In the movie you linked they said that MOST migrant workers follow the law and honor the agreement between Mexico and the US. We still have that agreement today and it works. What is not working are the ones that sneak in, present false documents or otherwise lie to beat and con the system. They are criminals that will no doubt go on to break other laws.
That had nothing to do with my point. Yes, I agree they should be arrested, etc etc. But the reason I posted this was: 1) to show there is nothing new about the problem, and 2) to demonstrate that even 70 years ago farmers relied on immigrant labor. I'm glad you concur with my 2nd point.

BTW, if you watch the whole movie, it presents the illegal immigrants as, basically, victims of the smugglers. So, sympathy toward illegal immigrants is also nothing new.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:27 PM

34,507 posts, read 15,571,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I don't know why this is such a difficult concept to understand?

LEGAL immigration is GOOD and a POSITIVE for America and the people involved.

ILLEGAL immigration is BAD and a NEGATIVE for America and the people involved.

It is as simple as that.

I wonder how many times it has to be repeated that we have unlimited visas for farm/crop pickers. Why would the growers need illegal aliens then? It's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I wonder how many times it has to be repeated that we have unlimited visas for farm/crop pickers. Why would the growers need illegal aliens then? It's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work.

There is nothing wrong with a foreign person getting a Visa and coming to work. I live in a tourist area and every Summer we have thousands of college aged young people that come to work. Most of them are coming from Eastern Europe on J1 Visas. They work hard to bankroll some money for college and they have some fun too and then they go home at the end of the Summer. I have known a few from Ireland that cleaned houses in addition to another job and they left a week early to go check out NYC.

We need the workers because we have too many jobs and not enough bodies to fill them.

There is nothing wrong with Visa/ work programs because the people that attain them do so through Legal channels.

I also agree that illegal aliens are victims of people that take advantage of them and a wall would help to stop the bad people from exploiting them.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:21 PM

12,678 posts, read 8,033,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
What's that got to do with stopping illegal immigration?
Aren't you just trying to change to topic to include all immigrants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or