U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:59 PM

9,758 posts, read 13,835,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I have no problems with this. I also know 2 almost 3 languages. In Europe, many know 2,3,4 languages. This way you can accomodate more people (depending on your profession). My husband is a physician and saw a job where he needed to know 2 languages and he did not apply. No big deal, it just meant that area had many that were of a specific culture. People in this country need to loosen up and smarten up. Learn another language, it is not beneath you.
You're right, it is not beneath me. I happen to speak several languages, some of them quite fluently. Hopefully those who plan to live in the US and don't speak English yet will also take heed of your wise comment.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:16 PM

15,181 posts, read 10,293,883 times
Quote:
I have no problems with this. I also know 2 almost 3 languages. In Europe, many know 2,3,4 languages. This way you can accomodate more people (depending on your profession). My husband is a physician and saw a job where he needed to know 2 languages and he did not apply. No big deal, it just meant that area had many that were of a specific culture. People in this country need to loosen up and smarten up. Learn another language, it is not beneath you.
You have completely missed my point; perhaps intentionally. The issue is not the requirement of foreign languages for specific positions -- I clearly recognize the necessity, such as your husband’s situation. The issue is; the requirement for Spanish fluency to accommodate individuals who have no legal right to work in this country.

I personally don't need to "loosen up" -- I speak another language.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:52 PM

11,879 posts, read 25,497,285 times
The ability to speak a diverse number of languages is a good thing. However, when one enters a country that speaks a majority language, it's a good idea to learn that language, such as English.

I was a US Army Soldier that lived in Germany for two years. I felt it was my duty to learn the language of my host country, even though I was a member of the military and afforded every opportunity to live in a separate society.

I LOVED speaking another language and my German friends appreciated me for my willingness to speak the language of their home country.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,639,359 times
Quote:
Unlike Europe; the language of the whole USA is English.

Yes; there are a few people here who speak Spanish, Navajo, etc. but I see no reason to learn those tongues.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:33 PM

12,547 posts, read 12,082,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The ability to speak a diverse number of languages is a good thing. However, when one enters a country that speaks a majority language, it's a good idea to learn that language, such as English.

I was a US Army Soldier that lived in Germany for two years. I felt it was my duty to learn the language of my host country, even though I was a member of the military and afforded every opportunity to live in a separate society.

I LOVED speaking another language and my German friends appreciated me for my willingness to speak the language of their home country.
I think that is a sign of respect for the people in that country too.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:44 PM

15,181 posts, read 10,293,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I think that is a sign of respect for the people in that country too.
Absolutely! Something glaringly absent in the vast majority of illegal aliens currently in our country. They have been indoctrinated with a sense of entitlement, and exhibit an unprecedented level of arrogance. The pandering by our government and the corporate ‘masters’ has only served to reinforce these behaviors.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:29 AM

27,237 posts, read 27,207,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiperD View Post
Your IQ must be through the roof if you feel you can learn to speak French (or any other language) "in a heartbeat". Most (working) adults never reach complete fluency in a second language.
Languages come easily to me.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM

25,100 posts, read 24,549,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiperD View Post
Your IQ must be through the roof if you feel you can learn to speak French (or any other language) "in a heartbeat". Most (working) adults never reach complete fluency in a second language.
I don't know about that. And, I don't agree with the IQ statement either.

My much better half is FLUENT in a number of languages: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese and Manderine

She also speaks, but does not consider herself fluent in German and Italian.

Some people just love languages

Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,401,777 times
I find it difficult to communicate with people who cannot speak English when they provide a service that has many nuances. I currently am having a woman from Brazil who speaks mostly Portuguese and a little English. I practically have to be around every single time she and her assistant clean for 5 hours! She cannot distinguish "glass cleaner with no ammonia" or "mop the floor along the grain" or "please don't spray windex inside the microwave at an angle where the cleaner gets in between the plastic liner and the glass" and other similar instructions that are just impossible to translate. I have more than a couple of times tranlsated my instructions from English to Portugues using BabelTongue or other free translators but I can't seem to get the nuance down pat! They clean very well but I'm tied to the house when they are here. I am seriously considering another Portuguese woman who moved down here from New Jersey. Now she speaks decent English as well as Portuguese, and boy, assuming price is not going to be materially different, this one gets my business.

I think they should at least familiarize themselves with the English pertinent to their trade. If they are in retail or in service, it becomes imperative!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 AM

9,758 posts, read 13,835,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I find it difficult to communicate with people who cannot speak English when they provide a service that has many nuances. I currently am having a woman from Brazil who speaks mostly Portuguese and a little English. I practically have to be around every single time she and her assistant clean for 5 hours! She cannot distinguish "glass cleaner with no ammonia" or "mop the floor along the grain" or "please don't spray windex inside the microwave at an angle where the cleaner gets in between the plastic liner and the glass" and other similar instructions that are just impossible to translate. I have more than a couple of times tranlsated my instructions from English to Portugues using BabelTongue or other free translators but I can't seem to get the nuance down pat! They clean very well but I'm tied to the house when they are here. I am seriously considering another Portuguese woman who moved down here from New Jersey. Now she speaks decent English as well as Portuguese, and boy, assuming price is not going to be materially different, this one gets my business.

I think they should at least familiarize themselves with the English pertinent to their trade. If they are in retail or in service, it becomes imperative!
Have you considered asking your agency for housekeepers who already speak English? I am assuming you are hiring your help legally - there are housekeepers out there who speak English too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration