Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I am much more disturbed by the lack of command of English in the general English speaking population.
Your point being?

Some Americans do not have a good command of our language-------others do.

That is true of all societies......some folks are better @ language comprehension than others.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM

10,111 posts, read 15,771,374 times
It bother me if its in a setting like a fast food place and it hinders the service they provide me. A lot of them are rude when I ask them to repeat themselves becuse they're accent's so thick. So its insulting because someone who doesn't speak English probably is an illegal because you need a certain amount of fluency to pass the citizenship test or get a green card. Arrogance turns me off and its very arrogant for someone to live illegally in my country, refuse to speak my language and act that they are entitled to benefits. My own parents are Asian immigrants and I was born in the U.S. I speak Chinese with my parents but we don't expect peopel to adapt to us the way some other immigrants do.

The only times I've been a mean customer is when the employee did not speak English. I'm a very laid back friendly person and understand when people make mistakes and will tip a waitress well even if she gets my order wrong by mistake. But if I'm at McDonalds I will yell at some guy who has me repeat my order 3 times and still gets it wrong because he can't speak English. At that point what really makes me angry and nasty is not that he got my order wrong but the fact that this guy is in my country and doesn't speak English.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM

36 posts, read 129,546 times
Wow, I was shocked to find that many in the poll are that annoyed with it. Perhaps I haven't experienced it enough, but the rare occasions I have had to help out someone, it didn't bother me.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:01 PM

645 posts, read 905,906 times
My mother's parents spoke "broken" English. They never learned to read or write in English. Coming here at the turn of the century, they learned it from their children once they started school. With her limited language skills my grandmother became a very successful entrepreneur!

What pains me is our Commander in Chiefs" language skills. I wish he would hire a linquist to help him figure out the really BIG words??

Again, this thread is going because of people's hatred towards immigrants. Most of the posters are good Christians, with no tolerance. Hmmmm, what would Jesus say?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:25 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post

Again, this thread is going because of people's hatred towards immigrants. Most of the posters are good Christians, with no tolerance. Hmmmm, what would Jesus say?
I don't hate immigrants. I don't hate illegal aliens. I DO hate what their doing to this country's infrastructure, as my taxes are being used to subsidize their illegal presence here.

As for what Jesus might say, let me leave you with this...

Biblical immigration

Deut. 19:14
Quote:
Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the land that the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it.
("Landmark" refers to territory, boundary, or border.)

Moses further declared in Deut. 27:17
Quote:
Cursed be he that removeth his neighbour's landmark. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Deut. 32:8
Quote:
When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people.
(Notice that God "separated the sons of Adam." God "set the bounds of the people.")

Acts 17:26
Quote:
And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation.
(There's those pesky borders and boundaries again. )

Titus 3;1-2
Quote:
Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.

Luke 2;1-5
Quote:
And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed. (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
(Even Jesus' parents followed the secular law and submitted themselves to the taxing authority of Rome.)

Acts 24;16
Quote:
I am exercising myself continually of committing no offense to GOD and men.
(That means not breaking man's laws.)

Rom 13;1-4
Quote:
Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resists the power, resists the ordinance of God, and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Will you not then be afraid of the power? Do that which is good, and you shall have praise of the same. For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if you do that which is evil, be afraid: for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon he that does evil.

1Pet 2;13-15
Quote:
Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well-doing you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men.

This last one kinda sums the whole thing up for me...

Lev 19:33-34
Quote:
And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him. But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

So the contrast here is between the rules that apply to 1) the stranger passing through, versus the rules that apply to 2) the stranger who was dwelling with the Israelites.

The point of the passage was INTEGRATION into the Israelite community by the stranger.

The passage is saying not to apply the same criteria to the one who is merely stopping in versus the stranger who is to be considered a part of the community.

Now here is the point that matters: in order for the stranger to be considered part of Israel, the attitude of the Israelites was that they were required to "love him as thyself"...which is a high standard.

What did that "Stranger" have to do in order to be considered PART OF ISRAEL FIRST?

The answer is that the stranger had to:

1) Become an Israelite
2) Agree to be Bound by ALL the laws of Israel
3) Agree to follow ALL of the rules of Israel
4) Agree to the SAME penalty as those who were part of Israel.

That may sound casual to those who read this today, but there are two very important points:

1) Part of the Israel Law had "Death by Stoning" for many offenses, so joining the tribes who will stone you to death for breaking the rules has serious consequences.

2) The other part - is that in order to join Israel, he had to be circumcised.

So, instead of the responsibility being on Israel to treat that PERMANENT stranger as part of the tribe, YES - that is what they had to do,

But ONLY AFTER that stranger had agreed to abide by ALL OF THE LAWS OF ISRAEL, with death following shortly for many infractions.

Last edited by GuyPinestra; 07-09-2008 at 01:24 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM

219 posts, read 423,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
My mother's parents spoke "broken" English. They never learned to read or write in English. Coming here at the turn of the century, they learned it from their children once they started school. With her limited language skills my grandmother became a very successful entrepreneur!

What pains me is our Commander in Chiefs" language skills. I wish he would hire a linquist to help him figure out the really BIG words??

My mother was from Mexico and also had broken English, but she worked her behind off to speak as best she could and taught herself to write and also became an entrepeneur. She was treated badly by others because she didn't speak as well as the natives - but it made her stronger, she is my hero for putting up with all that and never feeling hatred towards any of them for the way they treated her.
BUT she followed the laws and was here legally.

Don't worry about our President he is human, so just because he is not as polished as these robots we call democrats he is not worthy? I think it
is ok to make mistakes.

Nobody here hates LEGAL immigrants. We don't know who is legal or illegal, but there are some pretty good indicators. Why should we have to guess? It should not even be an option to be here illegally and break the law.

As for the WWJD - GuyPinestra that was an awesome post! (I repped you! )

Old 07-09-2008, 01:21 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post

As for the WWJD - GuyPinestra that was an awesome post! (I repped you! )
Aw shucks...

Old 07-09-2008, 01:59 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,834,468 times
Sorry; I do not see any person getting a Rep for quoting phrases or verses from any religious printed book. I am not anti religious but then again if I were to quote something from Kings James version 0f the Bible would I get any Rep? .... doubt it. I would gladly give 10 Reps to any person who is willing to give some PERSONAL advice/experience he/she has gone thru. That advice could possibly be of some help to others on C-D. Hope I did not offend anyone as just trying to be realistic. Excuse me, have to take my afternoon nap as I occasionally get senile. Steve

Old 07-09-2008, 02:04 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,720,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I don't hate immigrants. I don't hate illegal aliens. I DO hate what their doing to this country's infrastructure, as my taxes are being used to subsidize their illegal presence here.

As for what Jesus might say, let me leave you with this...

Biblical immigration

Deut. 19:14
Quote:
Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the land that the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it.
("Landmark" refers to territory, boundary, or border.)

Moses further declared in Deut. 27:17
Quote:
Cursed be he that removeth his neighbour's landmark. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Deut. 32:8
Quote:
When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people.
(Notice that God "separated the sons of Adam." God "set the bounds of the people.")

Acts 17:26
Quote:
And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation.
(There's those pesky borders and boundaries again. )

Titus 3;1-2
Quote:
Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.

Luke 2;1-5
Quote:
And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed. (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
(Even Jesus' parents followed the secular law and submitted themselves to the taxing authority of Rome.)

Acts 24;16
Quote:
I am exercising myself continually of committing no offense to GOD and men.
(That means not breaking man's laws.)

Rom 13;1-4
Quote:
Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resists the power, resists the ordinance of God, and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Will you not then be afraid of the power? Do that which is good, and you shall have praise of the same. For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if you do that which is evil, be afraid: for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon he that does evil.

1Pet 2;13-15
Quote:
Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well-doing you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men.

This last one kinda sums the whole thing up for me...

Lev 19:33-34
Quote:
And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him. But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

So the contrast here is between the rules that apply to 1) the stranger passing through, versus the rules that apply to 2) the stranger who was dwelling with the Israelites.

The point of the passage was INTEGRATION into the Israelite community by the stranger.

The passage is saying not to apply the same criteria to the one who is merely stopping in versus the stranger who is to be considered a part of the community.

Now here is the point that matters: in order for the stranger to be considered part of Israel, the attitude of the Israelites was that they were required to "love him as thyself"...which is a high standard.

What did that "Stranger" have to do in order to be considered PART OF ISRAEL FIRST?

The answer is that the stranger had to:

1) Become an Israelite
2) Agree to be Bound by ALL the laws of Israel
3) Agree to follow ALL of the rules of Israel
4) Agree to the SAME penalty as those who were part of Israel.

That may sound casual to those who read this today, but there are two very important points:

1) Part of the Israel Law had "Death by Stoning" for many offenses, so joining the tribes who will stone you to death for breaking the rules has serious consequences.

2) The other part - is that in order to join Israel, he had to be circumcised.

So, instead of the responsibility being on Israel to treat that PERMANENT stranger as part of the tribe, YES - that is what they had to do,

But ONLY AFTER that stranger had agreed to abide by ALL OF THE LAWS OF ISRAEL, with death following shortly for many infractions.
Please, anyone can take scripture and use it for their own personal argument.Even the devil himself quoted scripture when he was tempting Jesus in the wilderness.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,720,457 times
Leviticus 19:34 – "The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you; you shall love the stranger as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God." Or as Jesus said so clearly, "I was a stranger and you welcomed me

Illegal immigrants are strangers and aliens right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration