Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:32 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I brink up illegal immigrants because this is an immigration forum. [Mod Cut].
I wasn't referring to you, however should you want this to be about illegal immigrants then perhaps you should be more specific when titling your threads.
Immigrant- Resident in our nation on legal terms.
Illegal Immigrant- Resident in our nation that has not gone through the appropriate routes to become a legal citizen.
That's why I "brink" that up
[moderator cut: orphaned response]

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: orphaned response to deleted comments

Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Dont you reserve the right to refuse service to anyone? My local bakery refuses service to anyone who doesnt speak english and has a sign on his door that says "No hablo espanol". Its kind of odd at first to see him turn people away, but I definately dont feel bad for them. Learn english or leave.
We do but my CEO chooses not to. Unforunately i'd be out of a job and would be classified as a bigot by the local (bleeding-heart pro-illegal) media.

Quote:
Most immigrants I know use the ATM or go online. Shoot who visits a bank anymore?
Mach50, a lot of immigrants like to get a lot of cash out of the bank. I'm not talking $500 or $1000 (which i would never carry with me.) I'm talking like $3k on the light side $5k average and as high as $10k. No way you're getting that out of an ATM. This week i had someone want to take out $6k and didnt speak one word of english. What i gotta know is; How in the h*^$ do you get $6k in the US bank and not know any english?!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:49 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
The stats dont lie, 84% of Asians learn english in their first 10 years here where as just over 15% of hispanics learn english in their first 10 years here. There is a definate difference in cultures.
What stats are you talking about? From some magical source that you will tell us why you're not citing? Or just making it up?

I have no problem with people not speaking English because really, how do I know that they don't speak English? I've been accosted in stores for being a "goddamn immigrant" who "can't speak English" when I speak Spanish or Portuguese- despite being my 2nd and 4th languages respectively. I've found that the people who seem to be the most vocal about people not speaking English definately aren't the best English speakers themselves.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:00 PM

374 posts, read 231,319 times
Quote:
How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
Why do I care what someone else speaks. So what. It's called mind your business and worry about yourself.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Why do I care what someone else speaks. So what. It's called mind your business and worry about yourself.
This aint a great philsophy if your occupation involves customer service. Believe me.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Did you make your screen name just so you could disagree with everyone for the sake of being opposite? I dont care what people are speaking as background noise, its more about people I have to talk to that bothers me.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
I have never met an immigrant who didn't know basic English.
\

Wow, I've met lots who don't speak a word of English--especially in South Florida.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
\

Wow, I've met lots who don't speak a word of English--especially in South Florida.
THANK YOU!!! I have too, but these people dont seem to agree.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Did you make your screen name just so you could disagree with everyone for the sake of being opposite? I dont care what people are speaking as background noise, its more about people I have to talk to that bothers me.
Still waiting for the source of your statistics or your admission that you made them up. As time goes on and this query gets repeated everyone will reach the conclusion that you made them up. Lying is apparently a regular way of life on this list.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Still waiting for the source of your statistics or your admission that you made them up. As time goes on and this query gets repeated everyone will reach the conclusion that you made them up. Lying is apparently a regular way of life on this list.
S/he has no source for their statistics. And when statistics are presented that go against what they are trying to prove, they conveniently ignore the post, much like they are ignoring your request. [moderator cut: off topic]

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: do it, dont say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration