Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:06 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times

Advertisements

Again, I want to ask one question.

How many of those hispanic women who claim foodstamps speak english? I am sure those who speak english are doing just fine, its the ones that dont that are probably struggling.

This was in the Washington Post I believe in December, and it gave the stats about english skills vs. affluence among Hispanics and it concluded that 91% of hispanics who recieve welfare do not know english beyond pre-school level (which is like, nothing).

On the contrary, hispanics who do speak english at a proficient level claim welfare at a mere 19% whereas hispanics who speak no english claim welfare at a staggering 51%.

English gets you far in this country. When someone doesnt speak english, they are failing themselves, failing those around them, and failing to make themselves productive members of American society.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:29 PM

451 posts, read 310,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post

How many of those hispanic women who claim foodstamps speak english? I am sure those who speak english are doing just fine, its the ones that dont that are probably struggling.

This was in the Washington Post I believe in December, and it gave the stats about english skills vs. affluence among Hispanics and it concluded that 91% of hispanics who recieve welfare do not know english beyond pre-school level (which is like, nothing).

On the contrary, hispanics who do speak english at a proficient level claim welfare at a mere 19% whereas hispanics who speak no english claim welfare at a staggering 51%.

English gets you far in this country. When someone doesnt speak english, they are failing themselves, failing those around them, and failing to make themselves productive members of American society.

these fgures are wrong

Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post

I think learning English is why certain other immigrant groups do quite well. People from India don't have to have La Raza style racist groups, they don't seem to need affirmative action, they don't seem to demand special rights and exemptions from the law although I'm sure there are some here illegally, but they seem to have a very low welfare rate and a willingness to learn the language of this country.

I was always impressed with Vietnanese and others recent immigrants who encouraged their children to learn English and you even see the grandparents speaking to the children in English even if they have a thick accent.

It's a vicious cycle with some groups. They cling to their old ways, their own culture, they insist their children "learn their own language" and keep them from learning much English. The children are never allowed to view themselves as American and so grow up feeling they're on the outside, from a different culture and people.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:33 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I was always impressed with Vietnanese and others recent immigrants who encouraged their children to learn English and you even see the grandparents speaking to the children in English even if they have a thick accent.
And your not impressed by people like Jessica Alba's grandfather? Her grandfather didn't want her to speak Spanish in hopes that she would be more American.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
It's obvious what Whites are going to be the ones who get the most welfare. They make up around 70% of the population. It makes sense.
It's obvious that the group having the highest illegitimacy rate has the highest welfare rates. That's a given. When over half the "hispanic" girls have babies before they are 18 years old, it's obvious that most of them will end up on welfare. And when a group has an over 50% school drop out rate, you can predict that group will require Medicaid, WIC, and all the other welfare programs.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
And your not impressed by people like Jessica Alba's grandfather? Her grandfather didn't want her to speak Spanish in hopes that she would be more American.
I have friends like that -- parents who wanted them fluent in English so they could excel --- but that seems to be more the attitude of Mexican immigrants who came a while back. I think that used to be the case more -- but since the late 1980s not so much.

I think the nature of immigration from Mexico changed with that big amnesty and when it became so heavily dominated by illegal immigration. You can still come across responsible immigrants from Mexico - legal and who don't seem to believe they're entitled, some who actually seem to want to be American -- but they aren't the ones making all the noise.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I have friends like that -- parents who wanted them fluent in English so they could excel --- but that seems to be more the attitude of Mexican immigrants who came a while back. I think that used to be the case more -- but since the late 1980s not so much.

I think the nature of immigration from Mexico changed with that big amnesty and when it became so heavily dominated by illegal immigration. You can still come across responsible immigrants from Mexico - legal and who don't seem to believe they're entitled, some who actually seem to want to be American -- but they aren't the ones making all the noise.
The thing that's "in" now is learning both languages at once. Not just learn English and forget Spanish.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:19 PM

65 posts, read 168,250 times
Ahh did I really just sit through a Verizon Wireless commercial in Spanish on CNN?!?!?! WTF?!?!?! Good Lord. I heard about these commercials on this site, but this is my first experience. I guess I had to see it to believe it

Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprincess View Post
Ahh did I really just sit through a Verizon Wireless commercial in Spanish on CNN?!?!?! WTF?!?!?! Good Lord. I heard about these commercials on this site, but this is my first experience. I guess I had to see it to believe it
I only see Spanish channels on Spanish T.V.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:04 AM

451 posts, read 310,674 times
Quote:
I think learning English is why certain other immigrant groups do quite well. People from India don't have to have La Raza style racist groups, they don't seem to need affirmative action, they don't seem to demand special rights and exemptions from the law although I'm sure there are some here illegally, but they seem to have a very low welfare rate and a willingness to learn the language of this country.

It's a vicious cycle with some groups. They cling to their old ways, their own culture, they insist their children "learn their own language" and keep them from learning much English. The children are never allowed to view themselves as American and so grow up feeling they're on the outside, from a different culture and people.
If I were you I would not praise indians that much, they come here, create
oportunities only for their fellow indians, put down americans more than any other race I know, take their money and invest it in India, export jobs to India more than anyone, they keep their culture and language in the US, then smile to "stupid americans" to keep their status, and I know what I am talking about, I've worked with hundreds of them.

We are so stupid in this country, being fixated on migrant workers, using them as scapegoats, these migrant workers support the economy from the ground-up, indians get to positions of some power and abuse it,I know this is true of other races but I think Indians over-do-it, I guess they'l keep laughing for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration