Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:47 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times

Advertisements

Now here is a INTELLIGENT 8th grade student who understands the reasoning of SPEAKING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE IN PUBLIC ( in his/her case in school). Kids being kids will always say something cruel about someone else knowing the person does not understand what is being said. KUDOS to him/her for understanding what many Adults do not understand. Steve

Old 04-26-2008, 03:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
If another person and I both know a language that YOU don't, we can talk about you behind your back...with impunity.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:59 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
I would like for you to find anywhere in the constitution, or anywhere in our nations laws, where it states that the national language of the United States is English? You won't find it, the US is one of few nations that doesn't have a national language. So, sorry to say but live with it. As a previous poster stated most immigrants, regardless of their homeland, don't fluently learn English, but it is their second generation that does. According to the MLA (Modern Language Association) 46,951,595 legal Americans do not speak English or 18% of the nation.
18%? yes we do definetly have an immigration problem here. I speak Spanish as well as English and partly because I lived in Santa Barbara, California for a few years where you couldn't get by without it if you had to work. And the truth of the matter is that by the 18% learning to speak English will make it easier for that 82% to communicate which equates to less social dysfunction as well as less discrimination.

Let me ask you how many countries you can go to that will accomodate you not speaking their language? I think we're the only one. Though learning a second language is great and I encourage it, it is out of respect that someone want to learn a new language and culture and so if you live in the united states and have no intention of even learning a few basic words, you have no respect for this country and how would this country and it's people respect you?

Old 04-26-2008, 04:24 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
18%? yes we do definetly have an immigration problem here. I speak Spanish as well as English and partly because I lived in Santa Barbara, California for a few years where you couldn't get by without it if you had to work. And the truth of the matter is that by the 18% learning to speak English will make it easier for that 82% to communicate which equates to less social dysfunction as well as less discrimination.

Let me ask you how many countries you can go to that will accomodate you not speaking their language? I think we're the only one. Though learning a second language is great and I encourage it, it is out of respect that someone want to learn a new language and culture and so if you live in the united states and have no intention of even learning a few basic words, you have no respect for this country and how would this country and it's people respect you?
I have done a lot of traveling around the world, and I would say MOST countries you will be able to find someone that speaks English. I think even though Americans have not demanded they learn English, Americans taking their business, money and jobs to other countries has made these countries realize they should know English.

50% of the Western Hemisphere speaks Spanish, we get many tourists from latin america, many latinos come to work here, there is no official language here, why doesn't it make sense that Spanish would be spoken here in America?

The Latin American countries are experiencing strong economic growth and they are becoming important commercial partners.

By learning Spanish fluently you can often understand enough Italian and French to get by in communicating with people who speak those languages.

Last edited by Mach50; 04-26-2008 at 04:35 AM..

Old 04-26-2008, 04:31 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I have lived in Neighborhoods in RI where French was the dominant language (Woonsocket) and I have also lived in neighborhoods where Portuguese was the dominant language (Fox Point)....there were neighborhoods in Boston where Italian was the dominant language and streets in Brooklyn where Yiddish or Polish was the language of everyday life. I moved to Vista, Ca where many folks speak Spanish. .

I relish those different flavorings to our melting pot. In a couple of generations, the grandchildren will have to take courses to learn their grandparents language......its not a biggie to me. Welcome! !

Old 04-26-2008, 05:57 PM

36 posts, read 226,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Hmmmm, I have never heard anyone say that before. Isnt there enough "inventory" in this country?
If you can't get an American white even if you are an American, you are looked as second class citizens no matter what you do in life or how much you contribute to American society. In America, you aren't ambitious enough if you don't marry white. The American Society of Rules. However, it doesn't matter how you do it but that you do it.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
If you can't get an American white even if you are an American, you are looked as second class citizens no matter what you do in life or how much you contribute to American society. In America, you aren't ambitious enough if you don't marry white. The American Society of Rules. However, it doesn't matter how you do it but that you do it.
Are you sure that you mean 'White' as in literally skin color or 'White' referring to the so-called WASP culture?

Trust me: not all white skinned people are accepted by polite society.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 PM

36 posts, read 226,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Are you sure that you mean 'White' as in literally skin color or 'White' referring to the so-called WASP culture?

Trust me: not all white skinned people are accepted by polite society.
WASP culture or attitude. Because they are lot of minorities who take that attitude. Look at any corporate magazine of any minority; what does she look like and act?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:58 PM

62 posts, read 97,799 times
Quote:
Do you hear yourself!!??!!

"Its ok for my mom to live in this country and know no english because everyone around her knows spanish." SHE NEEDS TO LEARN ENGLISH, PERIOD. This is America, not Mexico.
why does she NEED TO PERIOD?!!! if she can get by with spanish only, i don't see a reason for her to learn english, other than self improvement. Now personally, if i decide to move to a different country, one of the first things i would do is try to learn the language, but only after other priorities in my life is taken care of. Such as a job, security for my family, etc. Now if the country i move to, can accomodate me without having to learn the language, then yes, maybe it won't be as much of a priority, but i would still do it for personal self improvement, but that is me.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:50 AM

786 posts, read 2,664,615 times
Quote:
Dont you reserve the right to refuse service to anyone? My local bakery refuses service to anyone who doesnt speak english and has a sign on his door that says "No hablo espanol". Its kind of odd at first to see him turn people away, but I definately dont feel bad for them. Learn english or leave.
No wonder he's just a baker...that's pretty stupid turning away paying customers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration