Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 PM

31 posts, read 66,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I see it all the time. It does happen, maybe not where you are, but in OC it is a daily occurence. And if this is true, why is it that only hispanics feel like they are being singled out? Maybe because they are the only race that refuses to learn the English language in mass.
Uh...who said that only hispanics feel like they are being singled out.

I just thought of another reason why the sign is meant to be inflammatory. If a person doesn't speak english, they won't be able to read english either. So they wouldn't understand the sign. In my mind that is the way the owner is trying to show how anti-immigrant they are.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,384 times
Quote:
I see it all the time. It does happen, maybe not where you are, but in OC it is a daily occurence. And if this is true, why is it that only hispanics feel like they are being singled out? Maybe because they are the only race that refuses to learn the English language in mass.
If you knew what you were talking about you'd know Hispanic isn't a race.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:55 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:

I know so many Hispanics that do speak English in mass! Almost every young person who was born here, actually I know many of my own relatives who raised their Mexican kids knowing English only, they live in Oceanside, San Juan Capistrano, Tustin you name it.

I LIVE IN O.C. and I never see Hispanics demanding Spanish. They don't need to because of our close proximity to Mexico there are already tons of Spanish speaking people and businesses that they can go to.

Why would they need to demand it here?

I could understand you being irritated in Maine or Iowa but ocexpo lives in a very bi/multi language speaking area...you should just move to be around more English only minded people like yourself. O.C. is not that conservative.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Because young non-hispanics need jobs too
Not here they don't. Fast food does not pay well enough. Doubt it does in OC either.

Still waiting on the source of the numbers you quoted. Some of us presume they are Mod Cut but we like to give the opportunity to demonstrate integrity. Rare here though among the true believers...

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: language

Old 04-10-2008, 06:00 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
Of the 28,101,052 legal American residents who do not speak any English, 18,850,543 speak languages other than Spanish. To keep referring to people who speak only Spanish leads many to believe that certain posters not only have an issue with others not speaking English, but with people of Latino origins in general.
Hispanic is not an appropriate term. It is similar to calling an African American a "negro". Latino would be the appropriate term to call a person from most Spanish speaking countries when you aren't sure of what specific country they are from.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:07 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
Quote:
Its not saying NO MEXICANS though. It isnt a racist post. They just want people to speak english or not speak at all. And, yes there are plenty of people who go into restaurants/stores and cant speak english.

The other two signs are RACIST signs. The top one isnt.

And why doesnt this offend asians? Because Asians learn English!!! Hispanics......dont. But either way, this is not a racist sign like the others are. There is an OBVIOUS difference.

[moderator cut: personal insult].
Those pictures add nothing to this post...this is about people coming to this country who do not speak our language...it is widely known that many of the illegals do not speak our language...thus illegal immigration fits in tightly with this thread...those pics do nothing other than show their posters' ability to ad nothing of substance to this argument...

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: edited linked post

Old 04-10-2008, 06:22 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Those pictures add nothing to this post...this is about people coming to this country who do not speak our language...it is widely known that many of the illegals do not speak our language...thus illegal immigration fits in tightly with this thread...those pics do nothing other than show their posters' ability to ad nothing of substance to this argument...
The pictures posted are in direct response to the following post
Quote:
Dont you reserve the right to refuse service to anyone? My local bakery refuses service to anyone who doesnt speak english and has a sign on his door that says "No hablo espanol". Its kind of odd at first to see him turn people away, but I definately dont feel bad for them. Learn english or leave.
One would assume to properly debate a subject the poster would would read all posts to have a greater understanding of the subject at hand in it entirety. In fact, had the previous poster been completely aware of the subject being discussed, s/he would see that the OP was speaking of immigrants, suggesting that they mean persons of other nations here legally. Which would make one question why the previous poster consistently keeps bringing up illegal immigrants.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:23 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilulissat View Post
Uh...who said that only hispanics feel like they are being singled out.

I just thought of another reason why the sign is meant to be inflammatory. If a person doesn't speak english, they won't be able to read english either. So they wouldn't understand the sign. In my mind that is the way the owner is trying to show how anti-immigrant they are.
THE OWNER IS NOT Mod Cut ANTI IMMIGRANT. He just wants people to speak english, period. He is fine with immigrants who can speak english, just not those who cant. Stop generalizing, its not fair.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: language

Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
The pictures posted are in direct response to the following post

One would assume to properly debate a subject the poster would would read all posts to have a greater understanding of the subject at hand in it entirety. In fact, had the previous poster been completely aware of the subject being discussed, s/he would see that the OP was speaking of immigrants, suggesting that they mean persons of other nations here legally. Which would make one question why the previous poster consistently keeps bringing up illegal immigrants.
I brink up illegal immigrants because this is an immigration forum. [Mod Cut]

Last edited by ontheroad; 04-10-2008 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Personal remarks are against ToS

Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,384 times
Quote:
THE OWNER IS NOT Mod Cut ANTI IMMIGRANT. He just wants people to speak english, period. He is fine with immigrants who can speak english, just not those who cant. Stop generalizing, its not fair.
What about fairly recent immigrants?!?!

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: edited linked post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration