U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:49 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,032,294 times

Advertisements

How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:50 PM

493 posts, read 442,966 times
Quite a lot...even more if they are here ILLEGALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Quite a lot...even more if they are here ILLEGALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I totally agree. Hearing Mod Cut makes me want to strangle myself. This is Mod Cut America, LEARN ENGLISH!

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: foreign language/language

Old 04-10-2008, 02:54 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I totally agree. Hearing Mod Cut makes me want to strangle myself. This is Mod Cut America, LEARN ENGLISH!
And if you go to Europe...as a tourist...LEARN THE LANGUAGE. Don't expect them to cater to you in English, like most tourists do!

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: edited linked post

Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And if you go to Europe...as a tourist...LEARN THE LANGUAGE. Don't expect them to cater to you in English, like most tourists do!
I dont mind tourists, that is different. Tourists leave and you can usually tell when someones a tourist. I am talking about those who are living in the country.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,117,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
A tourist has no plans on putting down roots and planting themself permanently in a foreign country. They are tourists. Passing through.

An Immigrant is putting down roots. LEARN THE LANGUAGE OF THE LAND AND LEARN IT WELL.

Most people in Europe have no problem speaking English to a tourist who needs directions. Most people in Europe speak more than one language because of the way the nations are situated. No big Deal.

If you're an IMMIGRANT, learn the language of the land. PERIOD.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
A tourist has no plans on putting down roots and planting themself permanently in a foreign country. They are tourists. Passing through.

An Immigrant is putting down roots. LEARN THE LANGUAGE OF THE LAND AND LEARN IT WELL.

Most people in Europe have no problem speaking English to a tourist who needs directions. Most people in Europe speak more than one language because of the way the nations are situated. No big Deal.

If you're an IMMIGRANT, learn the language of the land. PERIOD.
Your right. If I were to move to France, I would learn French in a heartbeat. I wouldnt leach off them for years and years. And if France required me to learn French, that would be fine because I am going to a country where that is what the people speak. People need that same mentality here.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times
It is threads like this that demonstrate your xenophobia. There is no law or dirctive or even social custom that requires one to learn English or any other language.

When I was a beginning engineer I worked in an operartion in NYC where the standard language was, in fact, French. There were a number of reasons for it but you could also get by in English or Spanish. There was always someone around to translate when it got tough. Two of the staff members were Nobel Laureates by the way.

We often wander the strip with various relative visitors where the group consists of English Speakers, Spanish Speakers and some very competent bi-linguals. It is most interesting to hear a risque story told in two languages at once. On the strip one can do almost as well in Spanish as in English. The same set of people also work about the same in Puerto Vallarta where you can also get by quite nicely in English or Spanish.

I am particularly impressed with the ability of some of you to detect illegality by how the Spanish is spoken. Hey if you could learn to do that in English we could greatly simplify the court system.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM

3,295 posts, read 4,424,799 times
There is NO reason why an immigrant planning on staying here can't learn to speak English. I'm not talking about being totally fluent, I'm talking about being able to speak it enough so the people whom they are speaking with understand what they are saying. They will find that speaking English will make their lives a lot easier. Just go ask anyone in an Emergency Room or on line getting their drivers license.

I'm not saying they should stop speaking their native tongue. Not at all. But in dealing with the general public, they should automatically speak English. An immigrant learning English shows me they want to assimiliate into American society; not keep to their own.

America is no longer a melting pot; it's a salad bowl.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 PM

1,268 posts, read 817,960 times
I have never met an immigrant who didn't know basic English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration