Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 01:20 PM

185 posts, read 355,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I hate to tell this to everyone here but I doubt Mexicans will be the last wave of mass immigration to the US.

You're probably right. Muslims are more-or-less quietly assembling as we speak. When they decide to make their move I can just imagine the mass migration as illegal aliens flee back south.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:21 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
"In 1908 the Dillingham Commission was created which reported about the rising immigration to the United States. The Commission stated that immigration was the cause of rising urban crime, reduced literacy rates and urban slums that were developing in cities."

Old 04-11-2008, 01:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
I wouldn't feel mean if I were you for wanting to stop illegal immigration but I do think the way Americans are handling this in the typical fashion that history has portrayed wrong time after time.

I think a lot of the "feel mean" is because US is top gun, bulldog, drill sergeant of the world right now, US is changing the landscape of this world one nation at a time, all the while neglecting our own nation.

With being top dog, brings a lot of guilt.
Actually; China is our present 'counterweight' in the superpower arena these days.

As for my feeling 'guilt'; that died once I saw those ingrates flying the Mexican flag at their illegal immigrant 'rights' rallies 2 years ago.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:36 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
Quote:
?Huh? I was breathing way before that, don't presume I am a child because I am not a scorned person that shares your views. I have been very upfront my mother became a citizen under the 1986 amnesty, through good parenting I have become a great asset to America.
My apologies, I got you confused with ProLogic.

If your mother became legal through IRCA, you should know about all the ENFORCEMENT measures that were a part of that bill, and frankly you should SUPPORT them because they were part and parcel to the law that legalized your mother.

Or is one of your 'assets' the ability to pick and choose which laws, or parts thereof, that you will respect and obey?

Old 04-11-2008, 01:41 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Study after study has confirmed as a group that 'Hispanic' kids tend not to do as well in school.

Just look at the high drop out rates, teen pregnancy, etc.

So; please explain why prior to WW II, AJA (Americans of Japanese Ancestry) children did much better in school than Mexican-American kids despite the two groups sitting side by side in the same classrooms.

That quote was from Thomas Sowell; the noted sociologist......from the book 'Race and Ethnicity'

The 'race card' dare not be used as a comeback------it would really make Latino kids look stupid.

Cultural differences, in that some Asian culutures' parents demand excellency in school.

PRE-WW2, Mexicans were here to WORK. Up until recently, even the children would work to support thier families.

mexican culture always put more of an emphasis on working instead of school.

and in the present, mexicans are traditionally lower class, and thus receive worse schooling than whites or middle class asians. thats fact.

why do you think blacks do just as bad in school? they arent immigrants.

No, they too were forced in to the lower class by racism, and get the bad schools as well in their districts.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Four huge differences here:

#1: the vast wave of Italian immigration (mostly legal BTW) was all but stopped by 1920.

#2: many of the above who could not make it here in the USA returned to Italy

#3: it is quite easy to cross the US/Mexican border compared the the ocean hence much more opportunity for illegals from SOB.

#4: most Italian parents insisted that their children learn English not Italian.

hahah, you are ridiculous! you cant even look at a straight fact , something that cant be argued without admitting a truth! you just go off tangent talking about different issue.

And how do you know Italian parents insisted their kids learned English? and how do you know Mexican parents don't do the same?

This was regarding assimilaton...not how easy it is to cross the border.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I've known many people who years ago, came illegally, many as young kids. I've even known a number of adults who, some years back, came illegally on their own, and managed to 'slip in' to the system....and 98% of THESE people (the ones I've known) ARE grateful...some of them VERY grateful. And NONE of them 'romanticize" the "good life" back in Mexico. In fact, I've known a few 'old timers' who don't even want to VISIT there, so 'bitter' are their memories of what they once went through. How quickly we forget. By the way, a NUMBER of these people see continuing illegal immigration as a "problem"..Hypocrites? I don't think so....times change. What once was "OK" now no longer is.

I can't speak for others, but my "gripe" isn't with these long-established folks...it's with the newer arrivals, many of whom arrive with an entirely DIFFERENT attitude...PLUS the sheer VOLUME of the recent years....PLUS the fact that they ARE getting pretty explicit about demanding 'rights' as if it was their due.

I've never spoken up (nor will I EVER) for massive, wholesale deportations of people who've been here for some years. But I want the problem acknowledged, not "justified". I want it to STOP. And I'm tired of being called "mean" because of my views....and I'm REALLY tired of being told my feelings are "just because they're brown".

Those people who you knew ARE what most immigrants are. the vast majority is like the people you knew.

I cant believe you believe media depictions over your own experiences.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:54 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
And how do you know Italian parents insisted their kids learned English?

You're absolutely right, and congratulations for pointing this out...I'm impressed. The way those Italian parents brought their kids up not learning English was just SHAMEFUL, I agree. I always wondered why I could never understand a word whenever I heard Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, or Lee Iacocca talking. These guys should have been ashamed of themselves for not learning English.

But you're right..it's not THEIR fault..it's their PARENTS', for teaching them that they weren't "American", they were really Italian.

Thanks again for your insight. Everything now is beginning to make more sense..

Old 04-11-2008, 02:16 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have a legal right to live in my house because I followed the proper procedures. Had I simply removed the lock on a house I admired and moved in, I would have no legal right to homeownership.

All you need to do is demand that you be recognized as an 'undocumented homeowner'. After all, the only thing standing between you and ownership of that home is a piece of paper!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:17 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltz View Post
The Italian-American mafia, at it's height, never numbered more than a few thousand members.

Gangs comprised of legal and illegal Hispanic immigrants, and even American-born Hispanics (Mexicans, El Salvadorians, etc -- these aren't White Argentines or Uruguyans) are in the size of small cities!
Your right, in Chile, they have a neo-nazi organization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration