Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 05:41 PM

62,857 posts, read 29,085,707 times

Advertisements

The migrants told investigators they paid between $15,000 and $18,000 each to be smuggled into the U.S. on the boat.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/au...tGK?li=BBnb7Kz

Where did they get that kind of money to be smuggled into our country? I thought they were all poor, starving and needing a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 05:52 PM

6,342 posts, read 2,691,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The migrants told investigators they paid between $15,000 and $18,000 each to be smuggled into the U.S. on the boat.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/au...tGK?li=BBnb7Kz

Where did they get that kind of money to be smuggled into our country? I thought they were all poor, starving and needing a job.
Here is where....

Quote:
Migrants sent $40.6 billion to Mexico in cash transmissions, known as remittances, including $4 billion in March alone, a record for a single month.
https://www.voanews.com/americas/mex...0-billion-2020

Old 05-05-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
I thought that money was to support their families in Mexico. How does it happen that these illegal aliens have family in the U.S.? Did they come here illegally to?

Old 05-05-2021, 07:18 PM

It's American dollars not pesos for God's sake! Talk about grasping at straws............

Old 05-06-2021, 06:45 AM

At current exchange rates, $100 USD is around $1,900 MXN. That is about a weeks worth of wages for a lot of manual labor jobs outside of the major cities.

[url]https://findanyanswer.com/how-many-pesos-is-considered-rich-in-mexico[/url

If the dollars mentioned were pesos the article would have mentioned it. An article written by an American would never put a dollar sign in front of an amount and leave out the part that he was speaking of pesos. Yes, grasping at straws again.

Regardless, the question still remains is where do these so-called poor and starving people get the money to pay coyotes to smuggle them into our country?

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-06-2021 at 07:01 AM..

Old 05-06-2021, 07:25 AM

24,446 posts, read 17,191,355 times
When I lived and worked in a largely Brazilian community some were illegal but most were not but all were sending money back to their families. They worked hard but they put very little back into the local economy. They lived cheaply driving old trucks and sneaking "cousins" into the houses they rented that were meant for 4 but actually had 8 of more coming and going. I knew one guy that had a 10 year plan to work like crazy, send as much money back to his family as he could and then when he was done he was going to buy a ranch and live the good life "back home".

I think it was Sean Hannity that years ago suggested a small tax of a penny or 2 be placed on every dollar that is wired out of the country. It seems like a good idea.

The answer to your question OldGlory is that legal and illegal aliens are sending money back to their families.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When I lived and worked in a largely Brazilian community some were illegal but most were not but all were sending money back to their families. They worked hard but they put very little back into the local economy. They lived cheaply driving old trucks and sneaking "cousins" into the houses they rented that were meant for 4 but actually had 8 of more coming and going. I knew one guy that had a 10 year plan to work like crazy, send as much money back to his family as he could and then when he was done he was going to buy a ranch and live the good life "back home".

I think it was Sean Hannity that years ago suggested a small tax of a penny or 2 be placed on every dollar that is wired out of the country. It seems like a good idea.

The answer to your question OldGlory is that legal and illegal aliens are sending money back to their families.
If they are sending money back to their families in their homelands to pay a coyote to get them illegally into our country then they are also breaking the law. The question still remains how are some of their families here but some are in Mexico? The answer is that those here are also illegal aliens. Entire families are violating our immigration laws which means they have no morals or scruples. I ain't buyin the starving routine either. Have you seen those hordes of people? They all look well fed and clothed. Besides, being hungry or poor does not give anyone the right to violate our immigration laws and take food and jobs from Americans for themselves.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:19 AM

I'd like to see even one article whereby the quoted dollar amounts paid to coyotes are said to be in pesos rather than U.S. dollars. I'll wait! Doesn't matter anyway, no so-called starving illegal alien would have even one red cent to pay a coyote on their own. For the most part their family already here illegally are sending them money to join them in our country. Entire families with no respect for our immigration laws and the rightful citizens of our country. They lie, steal jobs, taxes and resources from Americans and break other laws to remain in our country and these are the kinds of people that Biden and the left want to make citizens of our country? We have enough criminals of our own to deal without putting up with millions of illegal aliens in our country also breaking laws.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:59 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,190,459 times
reading the article is pretty sickening. No, not the part about the boat captain kneeing the LEO trying to escape.

The part about 2 American men, who serve our country, who threw themselves into great danger trying to save the survivors from the wreck. They could have just as easily died.

and this, from another article:

Quote:
A total of 96 personnel responded to the incident, officials said, including personnel from the Coast Guard, U.S. Border Protection, U.S. Park Rangers and U.S. Department of the Interior.
and this
Quote:
The judge appointed an attorney to represent Hurtado after finding that Hurtado likely could not afford one on his own. A lawyer from Federal Defenders of San Diego said Hurtado has been unemployed for over a year, had no substantial assets and was responsible for supporting his wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration