U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 11:24 PM

330 posts, read 204,022 times

Advertisements

By definition a immigrant is simply someone who leaves their native land to live in another one. The legality of that is an aside.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:10 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,339,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Construction jobs used to pay pretty well. Not anymore.
This is true. The low wages that immigrants are willing to work for have driven a lot of Americans out of the construction trades. I have personally witnessed this happening. To say that they only do jobs that Americans don't want to do is entirely inaccurate.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:32 AM

6,826 posts, read 4,190,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Construction jobs used to pay pretty well. Not anymore.
Finally we got back to the original topic.

I would counsel the OP to get vocational training and abandon construction work. Wages in construction are permanently depressed now due to the ample supply of non-citizens willing to work for less and the eagerness of contractors to hire them.

Plus, a lifetime of construction work does grave damage to your body. Retirement is supposed to be fun. Don't spend it crippled. I've seen it happen too many times.

Consider becoming an HVAC technician or go into appliance repair. Times change and successful people change with them.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 196 times
Donít you have to have a pretty good command of the English language to pass the citizenship exam?

Old 04-04-2019, 08:11 PM

1,955 posts, read 546,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
By definition a immigrant is simply someone who leaves their native land to live in another one. The legality of that is an aside.
Under US Law an immigrant is someone with an immigrant visa.

Illegals are not immigrants. No matter what the agenda pushers and cronies demanding cheap labor, tell you. .

Old 04-04-2019, 09:05 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,041,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof2divas View Post
We are still looking to move back to Phoenix at some point in the next couple years as we are starting to get things ready now just in case it is sooner. I was wondering if there are still a lot of illegals there or are they just passing through? I know I used to see them in Chandler when we lived there before, waiting as day workers. I don't have a problem with illegals as long as they intend to work and not suck the system. That is a totally different topic that I don't want to get into.
Working in construction trade as I do I really don't mind working with Mexicans as they are very hard workers. I hope I am not digging myself a hole asking the above question! I really don't mean to stir up anything.
What an odd question. Do you think we all interview illegals as to their intentions? With the way handymen and gardeners keep disappearing, it impossible to even know the intentions of people born in America.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Under US Law an immigrant is someone with an immigrant visa.

Illegals are not immigrants. No matter what the agenda pushers and cronies demanding cheap labor, tell you. .

Since you are getting nit picky, the the correct term is alien. A person cannot be illegal. Illegal is an adjective. Most of the current people entering our state from the caravan are asylum seekers so they are not illegal. They have entered legally. Not sure what you would call them, other than "asylum seekers"

Old 04-05-2019, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 81 times
"A person cannot be illegal" - Merriam-Webster disagrees.

But after the "asylum seekers" fail to show up to their immigration court hearing, what should we call them ? "asylum seekers past expiration date" ? (just google it for multiple sources confirming this is a significant number of cases)

I get most of them are just looking for a better life, but we have a system for a reason. Come through the front door, respect the rules of the land you are moving to. If you don't, don't get all offended if people call you "illegal".

Old 04-06-2019, 10:20 AM

An asylum seeker who doesn't show up for their court hearing becomes an illegal alien by legal definition. I said you can't BE an illegal because illegal is an adjective and the previous poster was being nit picky about semantics.

I spend most of my time with people defined by those terms or legal residents who are refugees. Believe me, they don't get offended. They don't even have time for that. They are busy trying to survive. Oh and all the asylum seekers I have personally engaged with in the last few months who have been dropped off at the Phoenix bus depot after leaving the ICE detention center have tracking devices on their ankles so if they don't show up for their court hearing they can easily be picked up and deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or