Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 07:19 AM

209 posts, read 502,819 times

Advertisements

We are still looking to move back to Phoenix at some point in the next couple years as we are starting to get things ready now just in case it is sooner. I was wondering if there are still a lot of illegals there or are they just passing through? I know I used to see them in Chandler when we lived there before, waiting as day workers. I don't have a problem with illegals as long as they intend to work and not suck the system. That is a totally different topic that I don't want to get into.

Working in construction trade as I do I really don't mind working with Mexicans as they are very hard workers. I hope I am not digging myself a hole asking the above question! I really don't mean to stir up anything.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:32 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
They’re around so you’ll have to ask them their intentions. I don’t see why this of all things is what you consider important to your move.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 AM

673 posts, read 465,835 times
I get the question as I worked construction for over thirty years. Just keep in mind that an employer is taking a big risk in hiring someone that isn't vetted (is that the right term?). Heck, I didn't care what anyone was as long as they were paying taxes like me and not a criminal. I hate criminals.

So yes, they are around but anyone that hires an illegal is pushing the envelope. Even for gardening.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof2divas View Post
We are still looking to move back to Phoenix at some point in the next couple years as we are starting to get things ready now just in case it is sooner. I was wondering if there are still a lot of illegals there or are they just passing through? I know I used to see them in Chandler when we lived there before, waiting as day workers. I don't have a problem with illegals as long as they intend to work and not suck the system. That is a totally different topic that I don't want to get into.

Working in construction trade as I do I really don't mind working with Mexicans as they are very hard workers. I hope I am not digging myself a hole asking the above question! I really don't mean to stir up anything.
How did you know they were illegal? Did you ask each of them for paperwork to confirm their citizenship?

Old 04-01-2019, 09:22 AM

209 posts, read 502,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
How did you know they were illegal? Did you ask each of them for paperwork to confirm their citizenship?

More of an assumption since they never spoke English. We used to have them come into the shop I worked and and could tell the false social security cards.

My question was more to see if many from the caravans are staying in Arizona or moving on? The news you really don't get a good take on what is going on just their spin where as people that live there see things differently.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:37 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,005 times
Just like anything with the media it's way overblown. I'm sure there are some illegal immigrants here (mostly that work as seasonal/ temporary labor) but I'm not sure I've ever really noticed or if I suspected as much and it's not like I've ever asked anyone outright to show me their papers.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:00 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Just like anything with the media it's way overblown. I'm sure there are some illegal immigrants here (mostly that work as seasonal/ temporary labor) but I'm not sure I've ever really noticed or if I suspected as much and it's not like I've ever asked anyone outright to show me their papers.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:01 AM

179 posts, read 325,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof2divas View Post
More of an assumption since they never spoke English. We used to have them come into the shop I worked and and could tell the false social security cards.

My question was more to see if many from the caravans are staying in Arizona or moving on? The news you really don't get a good take on what is going on just their spin where as people that live there see things differently.
The caravan is/was seriously overblown, at least where Arizona is concerned. The vast majority aren't crossing the border here.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times
There are no Illegals here, just immigrants.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:25 AM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
The demand here for cheap labor draws immigrants. The immigrants are punished, but not those that hire them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration