Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 07:02 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Thank you Sassy -

BTW - where did I say it was not true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
No doubt Mexico treats their people worse, I agree. But you really don't see a lot of people begging for change outside of border cities.

The only point I can see bringing up the homeless is why aren't these people out working the jobs that illegals are? 744k is a lot of frigging people, that's the entire population of San Francisco.
I had a great time in Mexico back in 1998...I stayed in resort hotels in Cancun and Mexico...but I was pretty much there during the night...during the daytime...I was exploring that region of the country...seeing the mayan ritual areas and climbing the Chitzen itza pyramid were two cool things that I did there...I ate at restaurants (luckily I didn't get sick...which I have heard has happened to other americans vacationing down there) and I saw people begging...I have never been to the mexico border on either side...and probably don't intend to...although I would love to check out the areas where No Country for Old Men was filmed here in Texas...but the border is a violent place (the vast majority of that exists on the mexican side), but the bottom line is...If I advocate for a voice for the middle class in this land...illegals are a clear threat to that...not to mention they do bring in a much higher (per capita) proportion of crime into this country...and crime not only pisses me off, but crime committed by people who already broke the law in the first place pisses me off even more...
I'm sorry Mach50 for your insisting that I'm a simple minded redneck from Texas...I assure you I'm not...but my Texas heritage is something that I am quite proud of...regardless of where I go in this country (which Los Angeles is more than likely where I'm headed if I do leave North Texas) I will make my feelings heard about this problem...I will not hesitate to join protesters in the LA/OC area who feel the same way I do...I don't think that makes me an angry person (they're are many other things on my mind besides illegal immigration), I think it makes me a concerned citizen looking out for his country and voicing his opinion.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:53 PM

49 posts, read 118,510 times
Quote:
I do not agree. These people are poor that are crossing the borders. They do not have the time or the money it takes to do it the legal route. If I were desperate to feed my family I would do the same thing.

yet they have the time to stand in welfare lines, get food stamps, free food, free health care and NO THEY DON'T PAY TAXES. You must be here LEGALY to get a SS# and/or work and pay taxes. If you don't have one then you are not legally working and paying taxes here. You need to open your eyes. Move to a neighborhood like mine, where americans are jobless and illegals are everywhere, yes everywhere. You just haven't been exposed to what a lot of us here have seen and live around.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If they take care of their own then there is no reason for them to be heading for El Norte to be supported by hapless gringos in the first place. The fact that there are millions of them here illegally leads me to suspect that they don't take care of their own after all. They send them here.
But in a sense, don't you see, that IS 'taking care of them'...by referring them to a place where they'll be taken care of by OTHERS. They're 'taking care" of the problem of angry, disaffected citizens, by sending them to a place where they can direct their anger at someone who will LISTEN.

Look at it THIS way...if your "kids' start to 'get to you', you can either 'lose your temper' at them, and end up doing something you might regret..OR you can send them over to your next door neighbor's house. He'll take care of them, undoubtedly feed them, and so on....and YOU will then be free to do more INTERESTING things, secure in the knowledge that your neighbor is 'taking care' of your kids. He's got nothing ELSE to do, after all....and he LOVES 'kids'.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
As usual another cop out!! Well, if you don't care about Mexico and their problems, maybe you could get to work on OUR problems in this country because I think President Bush can use all the help he can get and none of it too soon!
Right, and illegal mexicans coming across our border in large numbers is one of OUR PROBLEMS here in the US. It has gotten out of hand. They should take the troops from Iraq potrol the border and start shipping the "illegals" back to where they come from. They will take care of all the high taxes we are paying in one lump sum.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:20 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,092,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Thank you Sassy -

BTW - where did I say it was not true?
No I guess it was the rest of my post you were questioning.
I may have covered those others in another post.

Last edited by sassyone; 04-13-2008 at 08:40 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That paragraph I agree with-------word for word.

Yet; this country supplies de facto free medical, etc. care to illegal immigrants-----------US Veterans should come first-------way first.

And; this coming from a borderline 'peacenik' here------myself.
I agree. It is shameful how our vets are treated. Thank you to those of you who have served, by the way! I also agree that those vets should get those benefits we are so willing to give over to illegals. We have so many problems within our own, we need to worry about all them, our own citizens, not supporting another nations citizens.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM

White Chocolate, there may be border towns that are worse than others, but I have never felt unsafe in Nogales anywhere. In saying that I don't think I would be running around there at night. You might come away with a different outlook, I'm not say about illegals, but the people there in general. The only was I ever see begging there are the ones that have some Indian in them( I know Bear will jump on this) and even the Mexicans shun them. I myself cannot turn away from a child so I always end up with these trinkets they sell.
Sassy

Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty704 View Post
yet they have the time to stand in welfare lines, get food stamps, free food, free health care and NO THEY DON'T PAY TAXES. You must be here LEGALY to get a SS# and/or work and pay taxes. If you don't have one then you are not legally working and paying taxes here. You need to open your eyes. Move to a neighborhood like mine, where americans are jobless and illegals are everywhere, yes everywhere. You just haven't been exposed to what a lot of us here have seen and live around.
I understand your frustration, but I live in Arizona and very close to a border town. Why not are the Americans taking those jobs? I just saw on the news last night, I cannot remember what state, but they owned a factory and since they could not hire illegals then even the Legals were afraid to work there and he was moving his business to Mexico.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I live in an agricultural city, and illegals ruin a lot of the stuff here. Some illegals went swimming in an artificial lake at the great new park our city built and one drowned. There were signs in English AND Spanish warning people not to swim in the lake. Now his illegal relatives are suing the city and blaming them for his death. The cops set up a checkpoint in town to gauge how many people drive without a license, the number was about 5 in 7. I can't tell you how many times I open up the paper and read about a DUI or a hit and run where the driver at fault was an illegal with no license and no insurance. I can't tell you how many Mexican flags I see flying when I drive through certain neighborhoods. I've spoken to second generation Mexicans who talk about how the gringos stole California and Texas from Mexico and that they're going to take them back someday. Plus, I can't stand the second generation Mexicans who all try to act like gangsters. They always threaten people when they get upset and say that their cousins will come and jack that person up. It just disgusts me to hear them talk and try to intimidate and threaten normal people who want to make something of themselves. It's just a pattern of disrespect and crime.
You sound like you live in my city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration