Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:19 PM

79 posts, read 211,531 times

Advertisements

Mexico has plenty of opportunity and you can make something happen in Mexico. The fact is it is easier because the dollar is so much higher than the peso. If all things were equal many would not come.
If you could walk 50 miles or less and make 5 times or more in a day what you are making where you are at. No matter what the job. Doesn't matter the work. Would you do it? Would you do it if it meant sneaking around some border folks?

I know people in Mexico, yes even on the border who do not have to sneak over to work. They have work and prospects. They have vision for the country.
It is simply a matter of the exchange rate and the Corporations that are using the workers.

Penalize heavily the companies until there is no advantage and there will be no advantage. Give people food on the border if they are hungry...but i tell you that is not the motivation.

And if you Canadiens think we are jerks for it...well why dont you set up a shuttle service and a few million to Toronto. That city could use some counter culture.

Bringing the value of the peso up is the tough part. I think what could happen is if many million Americans moved to Mexico. We could revolutionize the country. Americanize it. What it needs is righteousness, human rights, honest politicians, fair hourly wage. They have a beautiful situation. They should be rich. Tourism, culture, good land and hard working people. The right man and a whole lotta love could make something to rival America. I am all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 12:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,160,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Of course it is the fault of the Mexican government, I don't deny that.
The Mexican Government has the responsibility to care for THEIR people. The United States does not have the responsibility - PERIOD.

BTW, you did not address the FACT that many of the illegals pay, literally, 1000's of Dollars to Coyotes to bring them to the United States. If these people have that much money to come to the US ILLEGALLY - why shouldn't they spend that money (or less!) to come to the US Legally?

Will you please answer this very basic question Sassy?

Old 04-12-2008, 12:24 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,128,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The Mexican Government has the responsibility to care for THEIR people. The United States does not have the responsibility - PERIOD.

BTW, you did not address the FACT that many of the illegals pay, literally, 1000's of Dollars to Coyotes to bring them to the United States. If these people have that much money to come to the US ILLEGALLY - why shouldn't they spend that money (or less!) to come to the US Legally?

Not everyone does it through a coyote.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:25 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,462,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Not everyone does it through a coyote.
That wasn't the question.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:26 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,128,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
That wasn't the question.
Any post is fair game.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:30 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,087,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

They sell whatever they have and any money they can scrape together from their families. Why don't you check and find out what it costs and how long it takes to come here legally.
Not all can afford a coyote to bring them, maybe those are the majority of the ones that die in the desert.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 PM

334 posts, read 826,114 times
Greatday: "Mexico is a very rich country - Mexicans should be pestering their government to expand their (Mexicos) economic power -"

Mexico IS expanding its economy, and rapidly. And conditions for all citizens improve daily. I just don't get why so many of you want/expect Mexico (or any other country) to become exactly like the US? What in the hell for???? I LIKE being in a country that has religion and family values as well as respect for each other . . . .

Old 04-12-2008, 12:39 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,729,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I'm saying that they are hungry, there are many women, children and men living in the dump in Nogales, I have been there and have taken food and clothing there, and it goes on with other groups weekly.
There are approximately 6,655,176,526 people in the world. It has been estimated that at about half of them would come to the U.S. if it were all possible. In my opinion, Mexico's proximity to our southern border doesn't give them automatic first call to come here.

There is no doubt that many of Mexico's people are poor. But why do they dserve our compassion and tax dollars at the expense of our own fellow citizens? A study in 2006 showed that there are approximately 37 million poor Americans who are not doing as well as many south of the border. They certainly cannot gather the thousands of dollars many "poor" illegals manage to give to coyotes to illegally come here.

Quote:
37 million poor hidden in the land of plenty

Americans have always believed that hard work will bring rewards, but vast numbers now cannot meet their bills even with two or three jobs. More than one in 10 citizens live below the poverty line, and the gap between the haves and have-nots is widening

37 million poor hidden in the land of plenty | World news | The Observer
This is merely a glimpse of the poverty amongst our own citizens. Why are we so worried about taking care of another country's poor when so many of our own citizens have fallen through the cracks?

Additionally, there are varying gradients of poor. I'm poor when compared to a standard middle class family. I would say that my grants and loans for college probably allow my lifestyle to fall somewhere in the upper lower class or lower middle class, however you want to look at it. But there is poor and then there is abject, without hope, destined to die a slow and agonizing death from disease or starvation, poverty. If human compassion is indeed your motivation for your support of illegal immigration, then surely there must be a yardstick by which you would agree to measure need.

Why should the United States continue to receive unchecked, all of Mexico's poor and uneducated? If poor and uneducated people are what you are looking to import into the United States in the name of human compassion, then I suggest that we begin importing our illegal aliens from the following fifty poorest countries in the world. Please note that Mexico is no where to be found on this list.

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

Compassion is a lovely human trait which seems to be in short supply in this world--but if you look at the enormous amount of our tax dollars which go towards the care and feeding of millions of people who are in our country illegally, compared to our own citizens whose nightmare of poverty is ever present and neverending, how can you defend the fact that we would allow our own children to go hungry in order to assure prosperity and the good life for law breaking non-citizens.

Charity begins at home.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:40 PM

79 posts, read 211,531 times
Your killing your own arguement. Sounds like it is easier to stay there and smarter. Build the country. Is there no love or vision for Mexico among illegals? If they love it so much why don't they stay and fix it. Why come here and fly the Mexican flag and rant about rights instead of going back to the country you love to make it what you want it to be.
If they don't love the country then they should be grateful enough to be here to criticize Mexico with the rest of us.
Its amazing. Here one person is saying...Hey enough, build a wall. We dont want so many that are illegal!
And you call him a evil racist and a hater.
But the truth is you are here because apparently you dont love Mexico enough to stay there and build it up...like America was built up.
What is with that???
I would move my whole situation to Mexico . Its nice. I think if whole cities of Americans moved down there and started flying our American flag and changing the laws to favor our needs and made the native people pay for foodstamps and medical marijuan and medical procedures and then protest outside the government offices about the border laws. lol Wow.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:44 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,087,108 times
Compassion is a lovely human trait which seems to be in short supply in this world--but if you look at the enormous amount of our tax dollars which go towards the care and feeding of millions of people who are in our country illegally, compared to our own citizens whose nightmare of poverty is ever present and neverending, how can you defend the fact that we would allow our own children to go hungry in order to assure prosperity and the good life for law breaking non-citizens.

Charity begins at home.

Do you agree then that it is up to OUR GOVERNMENT to take care of the problem?
Why do you think that our government has done zip to really do a thing regarding the border issue? I do not think the intend to do anything either, just more talk and no action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration