Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:47 PM

18,456 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
If it were your child, what would you do? We bring kids here that were badly
injured in Iraq for care. We bring children from many countries with extremely bad deformaties and have them treated here. Those families do not pay for it, they would not be able to afford it. What is the difference with a Mexican child?
The difference is that in this case, an American may die so that a citizen of another country can live. Why do we even bother to HAVE a country if we dont put our citizens first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
injured in Iraq for care. We bring children from many countries with extremely bad deformaties and have them treated here. Those families do not pay for it, they would not be able to afford it. What is the difference with a Mexican child?
Mexico is among the top wealthiest nations, it produces more billionaires than Great Britain. Mexico has nationalized health care, and believe it or not, Mexico has some excellent medical centers.

What this is about is not that these people cannot obtain health care in Mexico because they can but Mexico charges them on a sliding scale but if they come here they expect to be given everything competely free and have the US taxpayers provide it all for them. Not only that -- they know that they will be given first dibs, that Americans and American children will be allowed to die in order for them to be given preference.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
are you a spokeshole for national council of la raza or something? you are totally avoiding the issue that AMERICANS are being made to receive transplants behind ppl from other countries, some of whom like in the article don't seem to be too appreciative for all of the FREE healthcare that they have received.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Spin it anyway you choose. It will not alter the fact that illegal aliens are receiving expensive (tax-funded) organ transplants that U.S. citizens should be receiving. Of course, your only concern is illegal aliens -- to heck with legal citizens. As another heartless individual once said, "Let them eat cake!"
No Doubt...I'd like to use a four letter word there but I don't want the wrath of the C-D pc machine to come down on me...I can't believe this...remember that Duke University transplant done on an illegal alien girl...she later died and the family tried to sue the medical portion of the school...I felt sorry for her death, but my lord...sue people who tried to save a person's life who was in this country illegally?!?!
Exedous, I'm trying to be civilized here, but your comparison about the Iraq War is downright retarted...this coming from someone who opposed it from the beginning.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:16 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
A number of years ago I worked as an RN in an ICU for people recovering from heart surgery. We would not infrequently have patients from other countries, mostly India and countries in the Middle East. At that time, India did not have hospitals that could perform valve replacements and correct heart malformations in children. The Indian government PAID for their citizens to receive care in the US or other country. After the surgery,the patient and a family member would stay in the country until the patient was well enough to return to India. Their care was then handed over to a physician in their own country.

The healthcare system in Mexico can hardly be compared with that in Iraq. The Iraqi system is almost overwhelmed from the numbers of injured patients they have to care for. There is no reason Mexico cannot provide dialysis or chemotherapy for it's citizens. It is just so much easier to let them all head for the US and take advantage of us.

There was a case recently of a woman who was in the country illegally who was demanding the she be allowed to stay in the US and be provided with taxpayer funded chemotherapy. Mexico City opened a new hospital for patients with cancer in 2006. This hospital is also affiliated with an excellent US hospital, meaning that if a physician in Mexico had any question about this woman's care they could contact one of the oncologists in the US and discuss it with them. (which they could probably do anyhow, whether they were affiliated with the hospital or not) In short, there was nothing we would be doing for her that could not be done in Mexico City. But that's beside the point, isn't it? We OWE them unlimited access to our healthcare system in spite of the fact that they can't/won't pay. No doubt LaRaza and MALDEF took up her case and she is here receiving chemo.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
No Doubt...I'd like to use a four letter word there but I don't want the wrath of the C-D pc machine to come down on me...I can't believe this...remember that Duke University transplant done on an illegal alien girl...she later died and the family tried to sue the medical portion of the school...I felt sorry for her death, but my lord...sue people who tried to save a person's life who was in this country illegally?!?!
Exedous, I'm trying to be civilized here, but your comparison about the Iraq War is downright retarted...this coming from someone who opposed it from the beginning.
Quote:
Duke University Health System has reached a settlement with the family of Jesica Santillan, the Mexican teenager who died on February 22, 2003 after receiving a mismatched blood type heart-lung transplant.

The terms of the settlement were sealed but included an agreement that neither the hospital nor the family is allowed to comment. Jesica's mother Magdalena did not file a lawsuit saying she did not want to relive the ordeal in a courtroom.

Duke offered a settlement immediately following the death which would have established a $4 million health care fund in Jesica's name for treating Hispanic children but the offer was rejected.
Of course it was! They want those $$$$.

Duke reaches settlement with Jesica Santillan's family; terms sealed | Transplant News | Find Articles at BNET.com

Old 06-29-2008, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mexico is among the top wealthiest nations, it produces more billionaires than Great Britain. Mexico has nationalized health care, and believe it or not, Mexico has some excellent medical centers.

What this is about is not that these people cannot obtain health care in Mexico because they can but Mexico charges them on a sliding scale but if they come here they expect to be given everything competely free and have the US taxpayers provide it all for them. Not only that -- they know that they will be given first dibs, that Americans and American children will be allowed to die in order for them to be given preference.

Here's one that hit closer to home. When I heard it, my blood boiled: My brother contracted liver disease 2 years ago. He deteriorated very quickly. Because of his condition and lifestyle, he was deemed a bad risk for a liver transplant. Medicare and Medicaid both denied him that ultimate, and possibly life-saving procedure. My brother worked all his life, paid his taxes, played by the rules and wasn't a problem, but died 1 month shy of his 46th birthday without a wife or kids of his own, last November 26th. Meanwhile, in LA there is a woman, illegally here from somewhere south of the border (notice how I didn't say the 'M' word here!), who is awaiting her FOURTH liver transplant. FOURTH!!!!!???

One would think that after the third rejection of a valuable commodity -- a liver-- that the doctors, and indeed Medicaid and Medicare, would deem her a bad risk and deny her the fourth liver, leaving her to recieve dialysis to the tune of $60,000 a year, plus whatever assistance she can glean from American sources, and just take her chances.

I realize that dialysis is a hardship in anyones life, no matter where they're from, but this is ri-goddamn-diculou s, already. If this womans tissue is simply unable to sustain a transplant (not to mention the cost of anti-rejection drugs), why do they keep letting her get another one? I wonder, if I wrote her a letter and told her that MY BROTHER DIED so SHE COULD HAVE FOUR LIVERS, what would be her response?

Old 06-29-2008, 06:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russia1513 View Post

Here's one that hit closer to home. When I heard it, my blood boiled: My brother contracted liver disease 2 years ago. He deteriorated very quickly. Because of his condition and lifestyle, he was deemed a bad risk for a liver transplant. Medicare and Medicaid both denied him that ultimate, and possibly life-saving procedure. My brother worked all his life, paid his taxes, played by the rules and wasn't a problem, but died 1 month shy of his 46th birthday without a wife or kids of his own, last November 26th. Meanwhile, in LA there is a woman, illegally here from somewhere south of the border (notice how I didn't say the 'M' word here!), who is awaiting her FOURTH liver transplant. FOURTH!!!!!???

One would think that after the third rejection of a valuable commodity -- a liver-- that the doctors, and indeed Medicaid and Medicare, would deem her a bad risk and deny her the fourth liver, leaving her to recieve dialysis to the tune of $60,000 a year, plus whatever assistance she can glean from American sources, and just take her chances.

I realize that dialysis is a hardship in anyones life, no matter where they're from, but this is ri-goddamn-diculou s, already. If this womans tissue is simply unable to sustain a transplant (not to mention the cost of anti-rejection drugs), why do they keep letting her get another one? I wonder, if I wrote her a letter and told her that MY BROTHER DIED so SHE COULD HAVE FOUR LIVERS, what would be her response?
I am so sorry to hear of your brother's death. I lost a dear brother 2 years ago, so I can certainly relate to your pain. I also had a friend who died while waiting for a heart transplant; which also makes stories such as this even more disturbing.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
are illegal aliens stealing organs, or forging documents to get ahead on the organ donor list?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:29 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russia1513 View Post

No offense to your loss, but why on earth would you send a letter criticizing someone for trying to stay alive?
She didn't kill your brother.
Blame the system, instead of trying to make someone feel bad for trying to stay alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration