Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you think we should prioritize immigration?
Secure the borders first, then worry about those here illegaly 5 20.00%
Work on our borders at the same time as removing illegal immigrants 15 60.00%
Secure our borders and give those here amnesty 5 20.00%
Worry about those here illegaly now, and worry about the border later 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,338,368 times

Advertisements

The question was how do we "prioritize" illegal immigration?

Well, I think since the economy comes first, IMO, then illegal immigration has to be part of the solution to the economic recession (which, of course, is not true really, because it doesn't meet the definition since we've had "growth", but guess what - growth with no jobs! Growth for whom?).

Anyway, it's part of that issue, which is the #1 issue right now, I believe. Illegals depress wages, take our benefits that WE pay for, and bring down the value of our properties, etc. We must stop the companies who hire them, and stop all benefits, and add a wall for good measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,089,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The fence has proven to slow down the number of illegals seeking to cross the border illegally.

As for those here already, some law enforcement agencies are now doing "sweeps" into neighborhoods that are known to house illegals. Numerous arrests that result in deportations are happening.

All a very good thing
I'm not saying that it will not slow them down, but slowing and stopping are two different things. I would think that the sweeps may work better, I guess time will tell.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:36 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,200,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I'm not saying that it will not slow them down, but slowing and stopping are two different things.
No one - NO ONE has ever said nor implied that the fence will "STOP" all illegal border crossings.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,629,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Put laws in place which fine employers, no more jobs for illegals = self-deport. Then put a enforce border up.
You're absolutely right. The tough on illegals laws passed by Arizona and Oklahoma, which requires MANDATORY e-verification of an employee's legal status, the removal of the business license of repeat offender unscrupulous EMPLOYERS OF ILLEGALS, plus proof of legal status to receive any state social services, DRIED UP THE JOBS FOR ILLEGALS, and resulted in a mass exodus of illegals from those states. This self deportation cost the American taxpayers very little. These laws work!

The unscrupulous employers of exploited illegals have made enough billions to be able to hire legions of lobbyists/activists on all of these forums to use fearmongering tactics to try to convince everyone of the "dire consequences" to the economy if these illegals are kicked out. Actually, all the employers of illegals are worried about are the dire consequences to their own personal pocketbooks.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
No one - NO ONE has ever said nor implied that the fence will "STOP" all illegal border crossings.

Then it is a lot of money spent for not.
I would also add that the economy should be first and 2nd health care.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,200,144 times
Quote:
Then it is a lot of money spent for not.
I would also add that the economy should be first and 2nd health care.
Not a waste of money at all -

Old 04-15-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Not a waste of money at all -
You know how many times the "fence" has been discussed, and where does it stand now? We are still talking about the fence, and it is not being built.
You may think it is the answer, but I don't. If our government would work with the Mexican government and come up with a solution that would allow worker to come here and work and go home might be the answer. I don't think these people want to be away from their families anyway. I talked to one guy that had just been deported and he said, "I will go again tomorrow".
I also live in Arizona, just like you and AZ Bear, and they are NOT gone.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times
Securing the border and working on rounding up illegals can be done at the same time. 2 different departments...
Recall our troops from Europe, Korea and Japan and station them on the border to support the border patrol agents. Use the Army corp of engineers and navy see bees to build the fence.
Crack down hard on all business and land lords who accomadate illegals. Deport 100% of all illegals.
As for who we allow in.
1. Must prove they have the ability to support themselves and their families.
Most other countries require a minimum amount of cash in the bank.
2. A complete background check to include medical as well as criminal history.
3. Applicant must pay for all costs up front. Just like every other country.
By no means is the USA honor bound or legally bound to provide a free ride to any applicant. We don't need anymore dead weight.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Securing the border and working on rounding up illegals can be done at the same time. 2 different departments...
Recall our troops from Europe, Korea and Japan and station them on the border to support the border patrol agents. Use the Army corp of engineers and navy see bees to build the fence.
Crack down hard on all business and land lords who accomadate illegals. Deport 100% of all illegals.
As for who we allow in.
1. Must prove they have the ability to support themselves and their families.
Most other countries require a minimum amount of cash in the bank.
2. A complete background check to include medical as well as criminal history.
3. Applicant must pay for all costs up front. Just like every other country.
By no means is the USA honor bound or legally bound to provide a free ride to any applicant. We don't need anymore dead weight.

I agree with #2 and possibly#1 given that they have a chance to get on their feet first with a job etc.
I don't understand why anyone thinks the government will pull military out of other countries and put them on the border, it is just not that big a priority to them.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times
Quote:
I agree with #2 and possibly#1 given that they have a chance to get on their feet first with a job etc.
I don't understand why anyone thinks the government will pull military out of other countries and put them on the border, it is just not that big a priority to them.
The issue with #1 is that if they have no money when they come here they start out as an undo burden. Thats why other nations require that applicants be financially stable first. Its a good policy.
The border issue? Why are we paying to patrol someone elses borders when we have a big problem with our own border? Use our troops. We are paying them anyway. Its cost neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration