Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you generally characterize your encounters with other immigrants?
Most immigrants are friendly to me. 27 55.10%
Some immigrants are friendly to me. 6 12.24%
Rarely are immigrants friendly to me. 6 12.24%
Some immigrants can be downright rude to me. 6 12.24%
Other/No Opinion 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,684,666 times

Advertisements

How would you generally characterize your encounters with other immigrants?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,684,666 times
Many immigrants often snub me, especially at my job, because I am not like them, or because they are bitter. Many are new immigrants who know no english, but most of the time, they treat me like dirt, and I am usually friendly to them. Maybe this is a generalization, but I observe them being kind to others like them, but to people who arent, many are just downright rude and obnoxious. Again, I am not saying all immigrants, just many that I have encountered.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,455,213 times
It's hard to generalize. Many legal immigrants are very pro-America and pro-American, some will tell you that all their life they wanted to come here and become American and are glad they finally made it. They tend to fit in well with Americans, they make an effort to fit in and are interesting and help us see our country through their perspective.

Some though seem to only be here for our money. They don't really like America but love dollars. They have no interest in being a part of us.

Even with illegals there are different kinds. Some are just here to work for a while and plan to return home "some day". They are more like visitors, sometimes friendly and curioius about life here. They don't really seem to think they're entitled in any way, and some will admit that they may be deported at some point and so they'll go home.

Others seem to believe they are entitled. They prove they have no respect for the legal process, they don't care that there are others who have followed the laws and are "in line" ahead of them but they arrogantly believe that for some reason they should be rewarded for breaking the laws. They have no desire for fair immigration policies, they care only that they get at the dollars -- or government handouts one way or another.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:43 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,433,566 times
Honestly I find immigrants more friendly than Americans, sometimes??

When we lived in NYC almost all of our friends were immigrants or 2nd generation, some were married to Americans.

Asians in CA/Silicon Valley/OC can be somewhat distant, but polite (I found Asians much more friendly and open on the east coast).

East Indians/Pakistanis are very nice and humble to me, we have very close friends.

Europeans tend to be very open minded and here to experience life, we have brittish, Irish and German immigrant friends.

Latin Americans are always nice to me, I would say some Puerto Ricans I have met can be a little impolite at first but more have been nice.

I lived in Australia, so New Zealanders and Australians are always a great find.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:49 AM

1,268 posts, read 1,126,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Honestly I find immigrants more friendly than Americans, sometimes??

When we lived in NYC almost all of our friends were immigrants or 2nd generation, some were married to Americans.

Asians in CA/Silicon Valley/OC can be somewhat distant, but polite (I found Asians much more friendly and open on the east coast).

East Indians/Pakistanis are very nice and humble to me, we have very close friends.

Europeans tend to be very open minded and here to experience life, we have brittish, Irish and German immigrant friends.

Latin Americans are always nice to me, I would say some Puerto Ricans I have met can be a little impolite at first but more have been nice.

I lived in Australia, so New Zealanders and Australians are always a great find.

The Canadians down in Mexico are by far nicer than the Americans.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 AM

334 posts, read 825,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
The Canadians down in Mexico are by far nicer than the Americans.
Absolutely, in my experience. There are just a lot of "ugly Americans" in Mexico, who often receive what they put out, resulting in a lot of the stories about how bad it is in Mexico.

The other day at a one of the gringo hangouts , one of the feo's was loudly announcing that it is the duty and obligation of every Mexican here to speak English, because "we" have the $$$ that supports them! And he is not alone in that respect . . . . Wonder what WAS in his next drink .

The ones with the toughest times are the Mexican Americans who flash their "wealth" in the faces of those who stayed to make Mexico what it is today.
If you don't respect the Mexican people, or the British, or the French, or the ???? -- stay "home".

Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,334,029 times
What's an "feo"?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM

334 posts, read 825,851 times
feo is spanish for ugly

Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,592,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
If you don't respect the Mexican people, or the British, or the French, or the ???? -- stay "home".
Finally, some justification of what we're saying here in the U.S. about illegals and other foreign nationals habitually denigrating Americans and American laws!!! Thank you Dave. Did you know that I've literally been spit on by foreign nationals as I've walked by here in my own country?

I'd answer the poll above were there a category that matches my experience in Los Angeles: all legal immigrants from everywhere in the world with possible the exception of two countries = fantastic people, a great asset to the U.S., and I'm glad they are our newest citizens; and all illegals = amongst the worst, most vicious and heartless people I've ever encountered.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,433,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Finally, some justification of what we're saying here in the U.S. about illegals and other foreign nationals habitually denigrating Americans and American laws!!! Thank you Dave. Did you know that I've literally been spit on by foreign nationals as I've walked by here in my own country?

I'd answer the poll above were there a category that matches my experience in Los Angeles: all legal immigrants from everywhere in the world with possible the exception of two countries = fantastic people, a great asset to the U.S., and I'm glad they are our newest citizens; and all illegals = amongst the worst, most vicious and heartless people I've ever encountered.
You know I live in Orange County, CA and I have lived in San Diego, Silicon Valley, Long Beach, Miami, NYC, and I have never seen a foreign national spit on someone.

I am just curious what were the steps leading up to being spit on?

Where do you people live that you recieve this kind of treatment? (FastFilm I believe you said you live in the Inland Empire?)

Ask yourself if you walk around high and mighty looking down on people?

Honestly I have many white, black, indian, and asian friends and I have never heard of them having such problems like described here, I really must wonder if you are just asking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.