Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think non-english broadcasts should be taken off mainstream television and radio?
Yes 14 31.82%
No 29 65.91%
No opinion 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I'm not arguing that Mexican immigration is not causing problems, nor am I saying that we shouldn't try to curtail it - but some ideas (such as the original post on this thread) as simply unworkable, unnecessary, and unwise.

Ken
I agree that the original subject is a stupid one intended to be punitive rather than constructive, but I don't think that any legal immigrants are a problem. The problem is with illegal immigration of any character, Mexican or otherwise. I think that there is a huge difference between immigrants and illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I say take them off until the hispanic dropout rate improves signficantly.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:05 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,092,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I agree that the original subject is a stupid one intended to be punitive rather than constructive, but I don't think that any legal immigrants are a problem. The problem is with illegal immigration of any character, Mexican or otherwise. I think that there is a huge difference between immigrants and illegal aliens.

I have not noticed a big difference between legal or illegal except in the way they dressed, and that was before they settled into our society.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:09 PM

38 posts, read 182,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I doubt that there is anything to be concerned about on Sabado Gigante either or any other bimbo ridden buffoon sketch comedy program they put on. However, there are programs on the news which gives out information targetted specifically for the illegal immigrant crowd which I have watched.

Spanish language news does a very good job at giving them the heads-up about immigration crack downs. They have access to a lot of consumer information that is not covered on other English language networks. Sales targetted specifically toward their community, various community services which are not advertized on English langugage networks.
So what's wrong with that?
The spanish news will broadcast about the latest raid after the fact, it's not like Telemundo knows when a factory will be visited by the immigration department before it happens.
The TV stations DO target their audience regardless of their language. NBC and CBS main demografics don't care when Vallarta Supermarkets have onions and mangoes on sale.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:09 PM

Also they drive different cars as they 'settle'.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:11 PM

38 posts, read 182,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Looks like your a regular watcher.

Univision is owned by Haim Saban, an egyptian man who lives in California.
Telemundo is owned by General Electric and NBC, and their President is an Anglo American..

It's all about catering to your target market.
yes thank you, you say it much better than I ever could.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:11 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I have no argument with that - but I have a real problem with the general anti-Hispanic views I see so often on this board. They seem to think that all Spanish speaking folks in America are here illegally. I have news for those folks - they are NOT. There are many foreign-speaking folks here quite legally - and not just from Mexico. My next-door neighbors are from China and they have their aged father with them. He's here legally, he speaks no English and at his age, the fact is he probably never will - and there is NO WAY I would try and deny him foreign language broadcasts. This is supposed to be a country of free enterprise, if the market is there for foreign broadcast, newspapers or whatever, then there is no reason they should be banned.

Freedom of the press, means freedom of the press. Limiting newspapers etc based on language, religous or ethnic affiliation or any other such nonsense is not something belongs here in America. If folks want live in a culture that thinks that way, they should move to Iran - and then see how much they like it. It will not be tolerated here.

Ken

Old 04-16-2008, 03:13 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_Mom View Post

Finally, my kids will be exposed to all kinds of bigotry, it's only fair some of it comes from inside the home.
Well I guess that's another dose of those good old-fashioned "family values" we keep hearing about from SOB. If you don't think there is a difference in your children's mind about the bigotry they hear from others on the street and that which you infuse them with at home, then you really need to get out more. I hope your children won't think it's ok to be a bigot just because they have to grow up around one.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:13 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_Mom View Post
So what's wrong with that?
The spanish news will broadcast about the latest raid after the fact, it's not like Telemundo knows when a factory will be visited by the immigration department before it happens.
The TV stations DO target their audience regardless of their language. NBC and CBS main demografics don't care when Vallarta Supermarkets have onions and mangoes on sale.
That's right, stations know their target audience - and that's the way it should be.
You won't find Geritol ads on MTV.

Ken

Old 04-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I have no argument with that - but I have a real problem with the general anti-Hispanic views I see so often on this board. They seem to think that all Spanish speaking folks in America are here illegally. I have news for those folks - they are NOT. There are many foreign-speaking folks here quite legally - and not just from Mexico. My next-door neighbors are from China and they have their aged father with them. He's here legally, he speaks no English and at his age, the fact is he probably never will - and there is NO WAY I would try and deny him foreign language broadcasts. This is supposed to be a country of free enterprise, if the market is there for foreign broadcast, newspapers or whatever, then there is no reason they should be banned.

Freedom of the press, means freedom of the press. Limiting newspapers etc based on language, religous or ethnic affiliation or any other such nonsense is not something belongs here in America. If folks want live in a culture that thinks that way, they should move to Iran - and then see how much they like it. It will not be tolerated here.

Ken

Wait until you get to Arizona and you will see what we are talking about. If you are fairly young and speak nothing but Spanish, that means you have not gone to school here -- good chance of being illegal, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration