U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 05:45 PM

597 posts, read 1,785,841 times

Advertisements

Members of the WSU College Republicans are considering taking legal action against two professors who made strong comments to the students, said Dan Ryder, a WSU student and College Republicans executive.

The College Republicans held the demonstration to show their support for a proposed fence or wall along portions of the U.S./Mexico border. They erected a chain-link fence on the Glenn Terrell Mall to illustrate their stance on the matter.

A number of yelling matches broke out between the College Republicans and the counter-protestors.

At one point, John Streamas, assistant professor of comparative ethnic studies, allegedly called Ryder “a white sh--bag.”

Ryder is considering taking action against Streamas. He’s still deciding if he’ll pursue it within WSU’s legal system or with external authorities.

Streamas admits to using the phrase, but it has to be taken in context, he said. Streamas said when he first arrived at the demonstration site, someone connected with the university said something “extremely racist” to him and left. He was angry, but didn’t direct the comment at any particular student, he said.

When trying to contact Streamas, the voicemail recieved said, “I don’t care about the hurt feelings of one white person. The feelings of one little hurt white boy who’s got all his white-skinned privilege are nothing compared to the hundreds of people he offended with his racist fence."

I'm sad to report that my alma mater is not going to fire professor Streamas for his racial comments. Who's the one being racist here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 05:48 PM

From the AP:
A Washington State University assistant professor who used a vulgar racial term during a heated political dispute with Republican students was “immature” and “thoughtless,” but his actions did not constitute discrimination, a new report concludes.

John Streamas has also called WSU a “racist university” and contended that some say WSU should stand for “White Supremacist University,” said the report from the university’s Center for Human Rights.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:59 PM

IMO this is a pervasive disease in academia. I know this for a fact, especially since I deal with many people every day who have PhD's. When they say PhD stands for Piled Higher and Deeper--it is the truth! There is no honest debate when it comes to issues like these with these 'intellectuals', it immediately becomes a race issue and if you don't agree with what they say, you're a close-minded bigot. To them: border fence=racism. Ridiculous

Old 12-20-2006, 06:41 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,892,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
Wow!!................................
Noljos, don't be surprised. He says also that all black people should go back to Africa, all Asians back to Asia, that no one but whites has ever created anything, that American Indians were "Savages" and "ran around scalping each other", that Israel is apartheid and terrorist, that illegal migration into the U.S. is an intentional movement to "destroy" the white race, and that countries that are white (and he includes the USA in this) are being overrun by "brown" people. Oh, I forgot..if you're Hispanic, your being called "caucasian" on Census reports only inflates the crime level of non-Hispanic Whites! He makes false assertions about Israel, Jews, tied to outrageous insults, questions proof of the Holocaust, defends the anti-Holocaust conference in Tehran recently, and then claims he's Jewish on his mother's side, but "self-hating" when challenged on his false facts. On one posting he claims his mother is a Polish Jew. On another he says she's a second generation Jew. It really depends on the posting as to which lie is told. This one is a charmer! He calls the Bible nonsense for added measure and Republicans "scum".
Several posters have already called him on his bigotry and put him on ignore. I choose to confront him wherever he chooses to spread his hate. His written skills are pretty good, but his intellectual ability is rather limited. He's one of the easier bigots to deconstruct. Just a little background fyi.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Members of the WSU College Republicans are considering taking legal action against two professors who made strong comments to the students, said Dan Ryder, a WSU student and College Republicans executive.

The College Republicans held the demonstration to show their support for a proposed fence or wall along portions of the U.S./Mexico border. They erected a chain-link fence on the Glenn Terrell Mall to illustrate their stance on the matter.

A number of yelling matches broke out between the College Republicans and the counter-protestors.

At one point, John Streamas, assistant professor of comparative ethnic studies, allegedly called Ryder “a white sh--bag.”

Ryder is considering taking action against Streamas. He’s still deciding if he’ll pursue it within WSU’s legal system or with external authorities.

Streamas admits to using the phrase, but it has to be taken in context, he said. Streamas said when he first arrived at the demonstration site, someone connected with the university said something “extremely racist” to him and left. He was angry, but didn’t direct the comment at any particular student, he said.

When trying to contact Streamas, the voicemail recieved said, “I don’t care about the hurt feelings of one white person. The feelings of one little hurt white boy who’s got all his white-skinned privilege are nothing compared to the hundreds of people he offended with his racist fence."

I'm sad to report that my alma mater is not going to fire professor Streamas for his racial comments. Who's the one being racist here?
Let's try to focus on this issue guys. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:05 PM

211 posts, read 219,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Noljos, don't be surprised. He says also that all black people should go back to Africa, all Asians back to Asia, that no one but whites has ever created anything,
Please find the posts for these alleged comments. I never said any of them.

You continue to put words in my mouth I don't say.

I'm going to start writing in my responses to you "What do you expect from a guy who advocates child molestation."

Quote:
that Israel is apartheid and terrorist
It is, and I proved it to you several times. Please check the thread on US presidents. Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, the UN, and several other groups condem Israel for war crimes and apartheid policies in the West Bank.

Please see: http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tml#post222275

Problem with you Momark is everytime I source and cite for Israel's war crimes and apartheid you simply ignore it and go back to insults.

Quote:
Oh, I forgot..if you're Hispanic, your being called "caucasian" on Census reports only inflates the crime level of non-Hispanic Whites!
It does.

Quote:
He makes false assertions about Israel, Jews, tied to outrageous insults, questions proof of the Holocaust, defends the anti-Holocaust conference in Tehran recently,
Please quote my "false assertions" about Jews and where I ever once questioned the Holocaust or defended the Holocaust conference.

Will you do this? Doubtful. You continue to put words in my mouth but refuse to quote me. What can we expect from a guy who advocates for child molestation?

Quote:
This one is a charmer! He calls the Bible nonsense for added measure and Republicans "scum".
I actually called both Democrats and Republicans scum.

Quote:
I choose to confront him wherever he chooses to spread his hate.
Yet you refuse to pull up quotes of what you allege I said, and then you also refuse to counter my points and just resort on insults. Quite sad.

Quote:
He's one of the easier bigots to deconstruct.
You haven't deconstructed anything.

And then when I posted information on Israel's apartheid and warcrimes you simply ignored them. It's quite sad that Israel can commit apartheid and warcrimes and people are too stupid to actually look outside the US media or turn off the tv.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 PM

17 posts, read 8,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuCoop21 View Post
IMO this is a pervasive disease in academia. I know this for a fact, especially since I deal with many people every day who have PhD's. When they say PhD stands for Piled Higher and Deeper--it is the truth! There is no honest debate when it comes to issues like these with these 'intellectuals', it immediately becomes a race issue and if you don't agree with what they say, you're a close-minded bigot. To them: border fence=racism. Ridiculous

the fence is a racial issue and therefore, it will never be built......

Old 04-30-2010, 07:35 PM

10,833 posts, read 11,564,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raui View Post
the fence is a racial issue and therefore, it will never be built......
Way to reply to a post from 2006!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration