Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you heard someone say they were illegal, you would?
Probably ignore it 18 40.00%
Call ICE or the Police 17 37.78%
Confront them in some way (verbal or confrontational) 5 11.11%
Other/Not sure 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times

Advertisements

Here, it would not do any good to call ICE or the police. Nothing will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:19 PM

162 posts, read 326,309 times
I would try to find out where they work and go after his/her employer. Again, illegals are here because somebody is working them.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:48 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
I wouldn't do anything... I think calling the authorities would make me feel like a bad person. What if they were just trying to feed their family or something? You/I don't know. It's not my business where someone lives, although it might be the government's.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 AM

402 posts, read 1,061,070 times
Quote:
I wouldn't do anything... I think calling the authorities would make me feel like a bad person. What if they were just trying to feed their family or something? You/I don't know. It's not my business where someone lives, although it might be the government's
Well, we are an extension of the governments eyes and ears...and that is about all we can be, If we make no reports then we haven't done oour part. It does not make me feel like a bad person to speak up. after all I have family and friends who are also trying to take care of their families and can't get decent jobs because the illegals have the best ones and can make ends meet because they pool their money and expenses by living several families to one house/apartment. And on top of that, they have money left over to send back to their home land. If citizens tried to do that, the housing authority would be on them in a flash. No I don't feel bad when to report them when my own family and friends are struggling.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Well, we are an extension of the governments eyes and ears...and that is about all we can be, If we make no reports then we haven't done oour part. It does not make me feel like a bad person to speak up. after all I have family and friends who are also trying to take care of their families and can't get decent jobs because the illegals have the best ones and can make ends meet because they pool their money and expenses by living several families to one house/apartment. And on top of that, they have money left over to send back to their home land. If citizens tried to do that, the housing authority would be on them in a flash. No I don't feel bad when to report them when my own family and friends are struggling.
Some people enjoy being a part of the rat line, it works in certain states that have their cars registered in one state and live in another, Oregon/Washington.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
I would do what I have already done when I meet illegals.

I tell them:
1) I think it is wrong.
2) I think it is really risky now-a-days.
3) They should not ask for benefits.
4) They are making it tougher for us already here.

Am I going to turn them in? it would depend. But most no, but I do ask who their employers are.

Put it this way, I know of a midsize landscaping company here in SoCal that hires illegals, (actually they service most of Newport Beach where ocexpo lives) they drive white clean trucks. The owners are White, they own a house in Riverside where they put these illegals up, about 7 guys living in this house. They live to work, work to live, they don't complain. I tell them the 4 things above, they realize it but know they need this job.

I know another lady who came illegally to be with her sick mother who is a US citizen. The daughter could not become a US citizen because she was already 18 when the Amnesty took place and missed it (she was living in Mexico at the time). She re-united with her mother, she is not seeking benefits or work, she is living with her mom to last out the rest of her days. What am I going to say to her?

Last edited by Mach50; 04-22-2008 at 11:46 AM..

Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
This is the only thing I can find on the ICE website:

To report any suspicious activity please call 1-866-347-2423. Emailed reports of suspicious activity or "tips" are not accepted at this time.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:48 PM

402 posts, read 1,061,070 times
Quote:
If I hear one say they are illegal, (which is not often because I don't speak Spanish or any other language other than English) then I call ICE, it does no good to call the police,
Quoteing my own post here...... and asking Mach50,

Quote:
I know another lady who came illegally to be with her sick mother who is a US citizen. The daughter could not become a US citizen because she was already 18 when the Amnesty took place and missed it (she was living in Mexico at the time). She re-united with her mother, she is not seeking benefits or work, she is living with her mom to last out the rest of her days. What am I going to say to her?

Are you saying it is my resposibillity to first ask these illegals what their family/financial situation is before I consider reporting to ICE?

I don't see that as my problem, my problem is having my own family members suffering and even possibly haveing to ask for benefits because they can't get jobs in our own country. Compassion and concern first starts with family then country, Illegals are on the very bottom of my list for compassion.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:24 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,385 times
I tell them before they attempt to cross that is is extremely dangerous, the heat of the desert and the bandits. I doubt that it has ever changed their minds, but they are told of the pitfalls. I know they are desperate or they would not risk their lives to come here.

The ONLY time I would turn one in would be if they were robbing, stealing and the such. I have a few times called the border patrol,but that was ONLY when they asked to have the border patrol called and were too exhausted to go on and wanted to go home.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Quoteing my own post here...... and asking Mach50,

Are you saying it is my resposibillity to first ask these illegals what their family/financial situation is before I consider reporting to ICE?

I don't see that as my problem, my problem is having my own family members suffering and even possibly haveing to ask for benefits because they can't get jobs in our own country. Compassion and concern first starts with family then country, Illegals are on the very bottom of my list for compassion.
I thought the question said "what would you do?" I don't expect you to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration