Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If the only hispanics in the country were here legally, we would not be having these problems, now would we?
"Mestizos" have been persecuted for as long as they've existed. Mexicans paved the way for the Black's CR movement yet nobody ever talks about how the Mexicans overcame adversity. They may of been considered White by law, but nobody really considered them White (if you don't believe me, read up on the lynching of American Mestizos).

Bigots and racists will always make up an excuse to hold their prejudices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
The biggest problem I have with some of you here is how many posts I read speaking of all the illegals. I too am firmly against illegals.

Posts about....... "when I went to the emergency room there was nothing but illegals there." How do you know they were illegals, or was your racist predisposition coming out? You walk in and see a few Hispanics and just assume the room is full of illegals? That is morally wrong folks.

You drive to a construction site and run into Jose........."damnn illegal." WRONG folks!

If I was hispanic, here legally, working hard and someone came along and treated me like crap on the assumption that I must be illegal, I'd be ready for a fist fight.

The problem with illegal immigration is not the people themselves, IT IS OUR FEDERAL AND STATE GOVERNMENTS, failing to do anything about it!

As a heinz 57 white guy, I'll be the very first to admit, if I had of been born Hispanic and was stuggling in Mexico to make $4 a day to try and feed my family, I would be trying for that border crossing too. Miost of us would. You can't blame them. We all need to keep pressuring our government for change, not take it out on some poor guy named Jose who many, or MAY not be illegal.

Just my two cents.
Good post.

What I am finding is Americans using the illegals as an excuse to be racists or at least more race conscious.

Shoot I drive a nice car, dress good, make great money, I DON'T look illegal!!! Yet I have some very ignorant people asking what race I am? Staring at my family when we walk into nice places.

I thought I was going to get into a fist fight this past weekend, when some white guy had the guts to ask me and my wife what race we are, then when we said Mexican they snubbed us.

And it is always the white people that behave this way, it is not asians, blacks...just white.

Last edited by Mach50; 04-23-2008 at 09:22 AM..

Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
And it is always the white people that behave this way, it is not asians, blacks...just white.
That's the sort of broad statement for which other posters have been criticized. I for one experience constant disrespect to outright malevolence from people of hispanic descent, yet I would never generalize that any but the illegals, whom I know to be nasty in Los Angeles, constitute recognizable offenders (see past posts about police records of illegals who trashed my cars, etc.) All of my friends, whether naturalized citizens, of Asian, African, Jamaican descent or whatever, are against illegal immigration. Law-abiding citizens of whatever background should be too.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Good post.

What I am finding is Americans using the illegals as an excuse to be racists or at least more race conscious.

Shoot I drive a nice car, dress good, make great money, I DON'T look illegal!!! Yet I have some very ignorant people asking what race I am? Staring at my family when we walk into nice places.

I thought I was going to get into a fist fight this past weekend, when some white guy had the guts to ask me and my wife what race we are, then when we said Mexican they snubbed us.

Boo Hoo.

You don't think that you look illegal? Take off the sombrero. My legal Mexican American son in law, who lives in Houston, doesn't seem to have your problem. He is totally fed up with illegal Mexicans though, unlike you.

With the illegal Mexican horde increasing day after day, with the seething resentment building up in American citizens against illegals, your talking about getting into a fist fight, or a lot worse, may soon be very prophetic.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
How do you know they were illegals, or was your racist predisposition coming out? You walk in and see a few Hispanics and just assume the room is full of illegals? That is morally wrong folks.

First of all being anti-illegal is not racist. Keep in mind as you read my answer that I live in a rural southern town of about 2500 totally different than those that are in SoCA and other boarder towns. If you’re not a white Baptist you stick out like a soar thumb. We also know, unless you have your head stuck in the sand, that the US is being overwhelmed by and influx of illegal aliens mostly of Hispanic decent. Although I don’t know all the specifics, I sure gaining legal entry into the US, (Green card, Work Visa, etc.) is not easy as pie and one must fulfill some requirements to do so
To answer the question, the No. 1 reason is language. If a person cant not speak any English doing business in an English speaking society, I would assume they are illegal. This based on the fact that 1. Every legal immigrant I have ever known speaks at least enough English to communicate basic necessities and usually speaks English well, 2. Common sense dictates that if one is going to be in a foreign country legally, they make the effort to learn a bit of the language and customs

No. 2. Having no medical or auto insurance, no ss#, no id or several different ids. This is not common practice for legal immigrants. How do I know, I can get enough info from overhearing the translations. Cops can ask for proof of insurance and DL
Indication # 3. My sleepy town of 2500 went from 3 English-speaking Mexicans to over 2000 in one year. Guess where they work, Tyson plant. How do I know, I see them.
[Indication #4. I have not observed one person of Hispanic decent in my town paying for anything with a check or debit card, always cash or food stamp card. Coincidence? ]
Indication #5. Lined up outside the post office sending money too Mexico. Coincidence?
Indication #6. Living 10+ in a single family dwelling.

The legal immigrants I know or have known, speak English, have insurance, one DL a social, a checking account, aren’t at the post office every Friday sending there money abroad.

Travelmate, If you were Hispanic and legal in the US which scenario would fit you.
The things I stated of course are not proof positive that someone is illegal, but come on if it walks like a duck! I don’t treat people like crap because I think they are illegal. I think if that were the case there wouldn’t be so many illegals here. And I don’t believe I am immoral for making these observations.
I have to agree we need to continue to pressure our government, but ultimately, yes you can blame the illegals. Instead of fighting to improve their own government they chose to break US law and come here illegally. If you commit a crime don’t whine about being treated as such.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:11 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
When it is estimated that 1/3 to 1/2 of the hispanics in Texas are illegal you don't need too many guesses. Our school district has had a 40,000 + increase in hispanics in the last five years - how many do you think are illegal?

If you have lived around illegals and have any powers of observation at all, you can tell...

Old 04-23-2008, 11:38 AM

655 posts, read 916,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Illegal aliens threaten<br>U.S. medical system

Bankrupt hospital serving Hispanic immigrants closing | NSHP - National Society for Hispanic Professionals (from the National Society for Hispanic Professionals)

Illegal Immigrant Births - At Your Expense, Taxpayers Foot Bill For Roughly 300,000 Children Born Into Citizenship When Their Parents Are Illegal - CBS News

I too would go somewhere where I didn't have to pay a dime for medical care or pay taxes. Are you going to pony up some more of your pay check for this? Give away your Social Security benefits? How about the health care workers who lost their jobs due to these closing hospitals? Is that just collateral damage in order for illegal immigrants to have a better life, free medical care, and benefits some Americans can't even get? I don't "assume" anything. It's put in front of me.

Strawman's arguement. I asked, when you go the emergency roomand see a hispanic there, who are you to assume they are illegal????????????????

Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 AM

655 posts, read 916,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Theres 12 million of em. I dont seek your permission to sort and deport them. All your PC BS about racisim and profiling dont scare white folk no more.
No it doen's scare them, but the ones who will reside in their trailer park for life, with this type of mentality........it scares them, trust me.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:50 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Strawman's arguement. I asked, when you go the emergency roomand see a hispanic there, who are you to assume they are illegal????????????????
If you spend any amount of time working in a hospital frequented by a sizable number of illegals, you very quickly get to be real good at picking out who is illegal. You don't like that? That's too bad. Stores hire people who are good at watching the floor via hidden camera and picking out who it is that is going to shoplift. This is no different.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:54 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,092,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If you spend any amount of time working in a hospital frequented by a sizable number of illegals, you very quickly get to be real good at picking out who is illegal. You don't like that? That's too bad. Stores hire people who are good at watching the floor via hidden camera and picking out who it is that is going to shoplift. This is no different.
With your attitude, I hope you are not working around them or with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration