U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 11:24 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,892,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
The United States does not import illegal immigrants, Illegal immigrants make a personal decision to come to this nation.
We are importing them if we tolerate their presence in this country instead of actively working to deport them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 11:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,853,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
We are importing them if we tolerate their presence in this country instead of actively working to deport them.
We are not importing them, the immigration laws are not being enforced. Importing is when you intentionally bring something into the country, this is not what the United States does to illegal immigrants. Did you mean the United States is not exporting them out of the country?(deportation)

Old 12-31-2006, 11:31 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,853,842 times
Texan born,

I take the illegal immigration issue in stride, not as a negative. I never stated illegal immigration is postive for the United States. I'm sure if folks didn't complain and whine so much over illegal immigration, it would have a much lesser effect of them straining to become angry and frustrated over the issue.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,719 times
Default Reading about the illegal immigration and wanting to move home with my Swed. husband

I lived in Waco and in Quitman when I was younger. I moved to Sweden in 1997 after being married in Aug. of 1996 to a Swedish man that I met on the internet and I was a widow before that raising my son on my own. After being in Sweden for ten years, I want to move back home. Upon moving to Sweden, we talked it over and we decided that it was best if I homeschooled my son so that he would grow-up with both languages and now my son is 13 yrs. old and he is fluent in Swedish and English. I enrolled him into a Swedish public high school this past August because after being tested he was place in the 11th grade and most of his classmates are 17 or 18 years of age.

I have recently received information on how to go about getting a VISA for my Swedish husband of over 10 years and you would not believe what hoops one has to jump through just to get one. It is easier for an illegal immigrant to live in the USA than someone whom which is married to an American citizen. Just because I have not lived in the USA for the past 10 years I might not be able to sponsor my husband for his VISA unless I move back to the USA and get a job and establishing a residence for six months. I really think that it sucks! Especially since we do have a house here that we are planning to sell and with that money we can buy a house there. My husband will be still working for the Swedish company here in Sweden but as a contractor and working over the internet so he won't be stealing any American's job and he will be earning over 5000usd per month before paying American taxes. My son is now a dual citizen so Sweden will even pay part of his tuition for university. He will receive 450 usd a week to use towards it.

Here in Sweden immigrants have a lot of rights. I know this because I am a homelanguage teacher for American English here in Sweden and in the city in which I live in there are over 48 different homelanguages taught and would be move if they could find teachers for the other languages. Immigrants here are provided with free Swedish classes,free medical and they even get *startbidrag* a start up allowance in which they can buy furniture and other things that they might need to get set up (if they are not married to a Swede) and then they get social welfare which for a family of 3 is over 14,000sek taxfree (2000usd) a month to pay for their living expenses (rent, utilities, food and etc.). I work 27 hrs a week teaching plus a few hours a day at home doing lesson plans, correcting papers etc. and my income is 14,350sek and after taxes 10,284sek (1469usd). Even though, I am an immigrant I am sick and tired of paying taxes to take care of those that sit on social welfare and I am wanting to go home to the USA but can't because of the immigration policies for having to have a income to support a family of 3 before I can get a VISA for my husband.
I know that there are many problems in the states with illegal immigrants but there should be some exceptions for people that are married to an American for so long.
Sorry for such a long post but since I am in the process of trying to get an immigrant over there legally I thought I would post. Thanks for listening I needed to vent a bit.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:43 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,951,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECowgirl View Post
I lived in Waco and in Quitman when I was younger. I moved to Sweden in 1997 after being married in Aug. of 1996 to a Swedish man that I met on the internet and I was a widow before that raising my son on my own. After being in Sweden for ten years, I want to move back home. Upon moving to Sweden, we talked it over and we decided that it was best if I homeschooled my son so that he would grow-up with both languages and now my son is 13 yrs. old and he is fluent in Swedish and English. I enrolled him into a Swedish public high school this past August because after being tested he was place in the 11th grade and most of his classmates are 17 or 18 years of age.

I have recently received information on how to go about getting a VISA for my Swedish husband of over 10 years and you would not believe what hoops one has to jump through just to get one. It is easier for an illegal immigrant to live in the USA than someone whom which is married to an American citizen. Just because I have not lived in the USA for the past 10 years I might not be able to sponsor my husband for his VISA unless I move back to the USA and get a job and establishing a residence for six months. I really think that it sucks! Especially since we do have a house here that we are planning to sell and with that money we can buy a house there. My husband will be still working for the Swedish company here in Sweden but as a contractor and working over the internet so he won't be stealing any American's job and he will be earning over 5000usd per month before paying American taxes. My son is now a dual citizen so Sweden will even pay part of his tuition for university. He will receive 450 usd a week to use towards it.

Here in Sweden immigrants have a lot of rights. I know this because I am a homelanguage teacher for American English here in Sweden and in the city in which I live in there are over 48 different homelanguages taught and would be move if they could find teachers for the other languages. Immigrants here are provided with free Swedish classes,free medical and they even get *startbidrag* a start up allowance in which they can buy furniture and other things that they might need to get set up (if they are not married to a Swede) and then they get social welfare which for a family of 3 is over 14,000sek taxfree (2000usd) a month to pay for their living expenses (rent, utilities, food and etc.). I work 27 hrs a week teaching plus a few hours a day at home doing lesson plans, correcting papers etc. and my income is 14,350sek and after taxes 10,284sek (1469usd). Even though, I am an immigrant I am sick and tired of paying taxes to take care of those that sit on social welfare and I am wanting to go home to the USA but can't because of the immigration policies for having to have a income to support a family of 3 before I can get a VISA for my husband.
I know that there are many problems in the states with illegal immigrants but there should be some exceptions for people that are married to an American for so long.
Sorry for such a long post but since I am in the process of trying to get an immigrant over there legally I thought I would post. Thanks for listening I needed to vent a bit.
SECCowgirl, that is sad. Now perhaps you can see that the U.S. government and the corporations don't want someone of your husband's (and your) caliber here. That would cost them too much; bite into their profits. The corps and the politicians want cheap, slave labor. Ready-made serfs straight from the third world are easy to minipulate into votes, and in many other ways. You're too close to the outgoing middle-class in this country - sad to say but I do believe it is true. I'm not one for conspiracty theories, or never have been in the past, but it's obvious to me there is an agenda to dumb down the country both economically and otherwise.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:01 PM

4,297 posts, read 7,904,791 times
Why not simply turn arrested violent (I.E. illegals who commit violent crimes, felonies, and driving cars w/o licenses) illegal immigrants into labor instead of simply expelling them? And show footage of illegal immigrants being forced to do backbreaking work for no pay (and it is legal to force convicts to do prison work) to people in places with a lot of illegal immigrants.

I have no pity for illegal immigrants who commit violent crimes after coming to the U.S.

Attach ankle tracking bracelets to such prisoners.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:21 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,951,745 times
Well Vicman, the best policy would be to never encourage them to come here in the first place then you wouldn't have to contend with the violence.

Their ILLEGAL immigrants, and while people like SECCowgirl and her husband try to get here LEGALLY, they are turned away. Yet H1B visas are given out like candy to those who will work at 1/2 or 2/3 the wage of an American professional. Can you not see that there is an agenda here to get rid of the middle-class in this country? Perhaps you are profiting from this influx of illegals, or just simply choose to look the other way because you haven't been affected.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:41 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,683,884 times
This maybe stupid and simple, but lets just invade or buy Mexico. Then there is no longer a border to jump. We gain, they gain.. everyone is happy. Ok maybe not the Drug runners, and the elected officials in Mexico.. but too bad.

We can rebuild Iraq (sorta), I think Mexico is more stable, we could do far more good by making them part of America than by trying to build a fence..

As for the Swede.. Sorry to hear your troubles. But dont think coming back here will change the supporting lazy people living off the welfair system.. it is a major problem here too. Foodstamps, Medicade, Welfair.. all given to illegals here as well.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:46 PM

4,297 posts, read 7,904,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Well Vicman, the best policy would be to never encourage them to come here in the first place then you wouldn't have to contend with the violence.

Their ILLEGAL immigrants, and while people like SECCowgirl and her husband try to get here LEGALLY, they are turned away. Yet H1B visas are given out like candy to those who will work at 1/2 or 2/3 the wage of an American professional. Can you not see that there is an agenda here to get rid of the middle-class in this country? Perhaps you are profiting from this influx of illegals, or just simply choose to look the other way because you haven't been affected.
"Well Vicman, the best policy would be to never encourage them to come here in the first place then you wouldn't have to contend with the violence. "

The American companies who hire them aren't going to like that at all. A better policy for stopping illegal immigration is to simply force companies to weed illegal immigrants and to stop hiring them. The problem is that the companies don't want to do that.

You know, the companies WANT the U.S. to have an ambivalent view towards illegal immigrants; the companies would hate to see the illegals become citizens because then this means the companies would have to give them the same pay as regular American citizens. At the same time, companies don't want to be completely deprived of illegal immigrant labor.

Also, the only "illegal immigrants" that are violent from the get-go seem to be members of drug gangs. Guess who finances drug gangs? People on both sides of the border.

By the way, I said before that I have not been effected in any negative ways by illegal immigration; I live in west Houston over by Rice University. I have not had any accidents with illegal immigrants. Maybe I had lower food prices, but I will never know if I did, considering I don't ask "Do you hire illegals?"

If you believe the companies are in a conspiracy to impoverish the American public, go after the companies! Don't hire illegal workers - do not work for companies that profit from illegal labor - Do not buy products from illegal labor. Making border security laws will never work, considering the companies will ensure that such laws will never happen (thank the lobbyists). Do not buy any sort of illegal drug, and beat the hell out of any friends who do.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:49 PM

332 posts, read 339,601 times
To the people whining about us complaining about illegal immigration.

How would you like it if you had to sit up all night listening to music you can't understand, cleaning up beer bottles everyday out of your yard, being talked about constantly in spanish, but you can't say anything back because you don't understand what their saying!

My cousin is now serving 40 years in jail for man slaughter because he hit a woman driving and killed her 2 year old son. Now I was sad and sorry for the kid, but the woman driving the car was illegal and she ran the red light!

The Americans shouldn't have to pay to support criminals (illegals); your all saying they help us, I think of illegal immigration as a positive thing...just think about what your saying. "Oh I don't mind supporting people who kill americans, burn down our flag, invade our neighborhoods and trash them."

I mean seriously, just think about what your saying. If people like ya'll ran this country we'd all be screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or