U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:14 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,711,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
Let me know how well diplomacy is working between the U.S. and Mexico in regards to illegal immigration, poverty, and the drug trade. So how are a majority people with a dismal primary school education supposed to change a country rooted in racism, classism, and sexism?

If the richest nations in the world are not to aid the most unfortunate, then who will?
How about their own damn country for one!!!! We dont even take care of our own!!!!! Lordy you people are going to end up regretting this someday!!!! we can only bleed so long before we run dry people!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 10:17 AM

436 posts, read 491,034 times
Illegal immigration getting w-o-r-s-e-r?

Priceless.

Texas. Home of 'no child left behind'.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 AM

354 posts, read 762,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
How about their own damn country for one!!!! We dont even take care of our own!!!!! Lordy you people are going to end up regretting this someday!!!! we can only bleed so long before we run dry people!!!!!!
I guess you don't support giving aid to Africa to stop the AIDS epidemic. I guess you don't support giving aid to the Sudan to stop genocide. I guess you don't support giving aid to other poor countries because, gosh darn it, your healthcare bills are a bit high and you're sick of hearing Spanish in your neighborhood.

Our GDP is valued at TRILLIONS of dollars (yeah, illegal laborers' contributions are included in that) and I'd estimate that our foreign aid is MAYBE two percent TOTAL. Give me a break.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:05 AM

2,798 posts, read 9,718,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
First, energy and resource consumption:

1 American = 2 Europeans
1 American = 7 Mexicans
1 American = 15 Haitians
1 American = 30 sub-Saharan Africans

How about taking a smaller piece of the pie so that "their own damned countries" have snowflake's chance in Hell of doing exactly that -- take care of their own people!

Second, stop meddling in the internal affairs of countries far and wide. A big part of Central and South America's problems are directly related to U.S. meddling. And I don't mean just unfair trade and commodities policies. I'm talking about coup d'etat of democratically elected leaders (as recent as 2002). Insertions of DICTATORIAL puppet regimes. Breaking up of whole countries so as to take control of this or that region. Clandestinely orchestrating civil wars -- sometimes behind the back of our very own Congress. And we sit back and ask "why can't they just make it on their own?" How arrogant can we get?

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-23-2007 at 02:25 AM..

Old 01-23-2007, 04:43 AM

634 posts, read 2,558,632 times
Quote:
I guess you don't support giving aid to Africa to stop the AIDS epidemic. I guess you don't support giving aid to the Sudan to stop genocide. I guess you don't support giving aid to other poor countries because, gosh darn it, your healthcare bills are a bit high and you're sick of hearing Spanish in your neighborhood.

Our GDP is valued at TRILLIONS of dollars (yeah, illegal laborers' contributions are included in that) and I'd estimate that our foreign aid is MAYBE two percent TOTAL. Give me a break.
I don't suppose you're aware that the U.S. borrows $1-3 Billion dollars a day by selling treasury bills to foreign investors such as China...and that even a member of the fed board stated the U.S. is just about financially insolvent.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:18 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,711,438 times
Quote:

When they start coming here and expecting things from us, then yes I would have a problem with it. As far as I know they are not coming here and commiting crimes and over abusing our systems and taking things and telling us they deserve more are they?

I keep forgetting we are the worlds care takers. I am still waiting to see a difference.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 AM

436 posts, read 491,034 times
"..Insertions of DICTATORIAL puppet regimes. Breaking up of whole countries so as to take control of this or that region. Clandestinely orchestrating civil wars.."

We could start by teaching our young children truths about American history, not fables, irrelevancies, and deletions from historical fact that continue to be perpetrated in the classroom to this day. I believe this would help make us a more ethical society by acknowledging truths from childhood forward.

America, and England (and all powerful nations) before, have a long history of the exploitation and repression of people on their lands, on their colonies, and through the use of deadly force to achieve the desired results of their ruling classes. Anyone who doesn't see that this behavior continues is either naive, or unwilling to admit it.

When we hear that America is 'protecting her interests', then we are hearing a real truth. The question then becomes, ' Do the ends justify the means?'

Questioning, speaking out, and working to change political policy is not un-American. Not speaking out, blindly accepting the path of the ruling class against what we believe to be wrong - that's un-American.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
I live in a somewhat small city in Central Texas( Waco)

it use to be a fairly safe and nice city, but now it over ran by illegal aliens and omfg its crazy, just a week ago 10 cars were stolen out of my neighborhood within a 2 day period, a few days before it happened my mom caught two "hispanics" (not trying to sound racial) stealing a car, we know they were cause the man ran outside and the two men hurry up and got in there car and drove off!

I swear it seems like Waco is turning into Mexico, they've turned my neighboorhood into a wasteland our crime rate is steadily increasing! I was standing in line one day at the store and a woman was in front of me and she couldn't count, so the cashier was trying to tell her what to do, but the woman couldn't understand english! and the cashier didn't understand Spanish

I mean if your going to illegally sneak over to America at least learn some type of English I mean were forced to learn spanish at school. But seriously it's getting way out of hand and I'm sick of it. I know there trying to find jobs, but I mean there takign all the low paying jobs that we have, no place near my home is hiring really and it needs to be put to a stop!

How is Ilegal Immigration in your areas?
Do we have freedom of speach here or will it be blocked??

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanS View Post
Not to belittle the immigration problem, but how are we to take you seriously when your English is poor?? " Immigration getting worser".

I mean, I'd correct my 6 year old with such poor usage of the English language!!
Don't worry about our english, it will not be the language here before too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcity View Post
momof wrote:

"When you first asked about these "asian" areas as that was where you are interested."

What's wrong with liking certain authentic foods that can only be found in certain areas only?

"I would not say that he is "wealthy" by any means nor does he probably live in a wealthy gated community"

Assumption

"Yes, he has isolated himself, isolated himself in areas of like people from his own country."

Assumption

"He is clouded by his own circumstances and does not see how the flood of immigrants, illegal and legal, can someday cause this great country of opportunity to not be so great."

Assumption.

Synopsis wrote:

"I wonder if the same applies to the impact of illegal immigration. Could it be that you are as good at filtering out the negative impact of illegal immigration because it doesn't fit in with your preconceived notions of all who are against illegal immigration as racists, or in the very least, dimwitted an unable to accept change?"

Assumption and contradicting with momof. See how much you guys assume?

"I have a mental picture that you are somewhat isolated from society based upon your viewpoints."

Oh, please. His view point is different, so he MUST be isolated from society. HUGE ASSUMPTION.

"You don't live day to day in a world where the negative impacts of illegal immigration are so very apparent. Maybe a gated community or such? Do you have several of these workers doing your garden and tending to your estate?"

Assumption.

"You chastised madmann about his lack of proper English, but you will support and defend those who do not speak a lick of English (or refuse to do so) with great zeal."

How do you differenciate the ones who are in the process of learning and trying and the ones who are not? I guess you just lump them all together as Hispanics, whether they are trying to learn or not, whether they are legal or not, and whether they're from Mexico or not. Your view is: They don't speak English; they are bad bad bad!

"but fail to see the hard facts that those of us in the middle class see on a day-to-day-basis. Such as escalation in crime, the loss of jobs to illegal immigrants, language barriers everywhere you turn, hospitals being overrun and forced to close because of supporting anchor babies, lawsuits against cities that try and do what the federal government “should” be doing to protect its citizens; the list goes on and on and on."

Assumption

Did I over stated my point when I said these individuals assume too much?
What all am I allowed to say on here without having my reply blocked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Just to offer additional insight as to why the Hispanic community in general is feeling somewhat of a backlash might be because of organizations such as La Raza and Lulac, who have vigorously defended the plight of illegal aliens, and specifically those of Hispanic descent.

I truly wish that there were more Hispanic leaders that would step up to the public forum and denounce these tactics and support our immigration laws instead of trying to usurp them and undermine efforts to put an end to illegal immigration.

An example of such is this; at this very moment, the city of Farmers Branch is trying to implement laws that will curtail the scourge of illegal immigrants in their community. They are asking for laws that will prevent landlords from renting to illegal immigrants, and businesses from hiring illegal immigrants, among other things.

The city council of Farmers Branch has NOT pointed out any specific race, they only target ILLEGAL immigrants. But who comes arrives on the scene to fight these ordinances, that will be voted on by the city of Farmers Branch? None other than Lulac and the ACLU, which decrie these ordinances as racist.

I feel for those Hispanic citizens (and non-citizens who are here legally) that just want to live your lives as other American citizens. It is people such as yourself that have truly built this country into what it is.

However, the Hispanic community does need to step up and take action against these so-called "leaders" and prevent them from further tarnishing the reputation of the Hispanic community.
Oklahoma has just implemented House Bill 1804 to curtail illegal immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Bluegrass, I agree that the entire argument should be a moot point. How ironic is it that the argument even exists. Well, it would not exist save for those who want to use the backs of these illegal immigrants to fatten their own pocketbooks. The corporate lobby wants cheap, ready-made serfs to do their bidding at a far lower wage than what an average citizen is able to take, and the politicians are looking for votes. It all comes down to money, and power.

The thing that really concerns and puzzles me are those citizens that look upon this as a compassion issue, and don't realize or either choose to ignore the hugely negative impact that illegal immigration has on our economy and society as a whole. It's my opinion that for the most part, these people don't see this impact on a daily basis. We have cow-towed to the illegal immigrant lobby and the politicians long enough, we need to stand up and let our politicians and corporations know this isn't acceptable. Unless we do this in a resounding manner, and very soon, we will never see it resolved - ever.
People are fleeing entire cities to get away from the illegal immigrant boom, who are becoming an increasing power in the US, and fueled by the desire for more and more profit from the wealthy, corporations, and politicians. I've joined an outift called numbersusa (NumbersUSA) where you can make your voice be heard through internet faxing, phone calls, and contributions. If more people did this, perhaps we could make a difference. As it stands, the politicians choose to ignore us because they can. Make sure they can't ignore their constituents and say something if you dare..
You just gained another member. I know it can be done as Oklahoma governor just signed House Bill 1804.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Cathy the reason the illegal immigration has gone overboard, is people have allowed their frustration and anger to boil over, only to decrease their ability to cope with the situation. I don't feel threatened by illegal immigration, and i happen to live in Los Angeles County, because I take it as a positive.

BTW, worser ain't a word. lol
We shouldn't have to cope with it, the United States laws should. But they have put on blinders and refuse to hear the legal citizens of the USA.

Last edited by Yac; 09-17-2007 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: 6 posts ina row...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I dont care what color or nationality someone is who wants to be American,,, I also dont mind the blending of cultures,, I just want it done fairly, legally, and with some semblence of security for all of us.. and I think everyone here would agree on that point.. this isnt a racist attitude its one of self preservation

In SOCAL there are more than 57 languages taught in the public schools, not including ebonics.. a nice way of saying ghettotalk
I happen to be white.. but I worked the ghetto of south central my whole career and learned "ghettoeze" to effectively communicate with the public. In the 80s the mexicans began moving in and instead of being absorbed by the community they created their own.. instead of embracing American culture they brought their third world attitudes and expectations with them,, and many.. not all,, but many were not willing to assimilate and drifted back and forth across the border escaping prosecution for their crimes...

Im not talking about the peaceful mexican husband and wife that came here to better themselves,, Im talking about the next generation of gangbangers they created by having their children in poverty here (with our crazy policy of the baby is American when born here)
Substitute
Cubans, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani etc etc etc.... the plague is the same.. we all pay for it and it has changed America. I consider myself a liberal conservative... and Im ready to accept SOME of the worlds masses but not an open door...
Life in California in unbearable in many urban places. We see the flight to rural America... but "rural" America is fast becoming overwhelmed with its own set of problems. What eventually will happen is our social system will collapse because ther wont be enough people willing or able to pay into it... and then there will be anarchy

Tell me one other country that has the same lax standards we do... there isnt one. It looks like we are all going shafted by politicians (Kennedy/McCain bill)living in protected walled worlds.

Im not sure where you got your percentage stats.. mine differ.. the hispanic population is the majority here now.. stats are skewed because reporting is estimated because no one really knows how many illegal immigrants are here.. take a drive around L.A. ,, one hour will have you unscientifcally realizing non hispanics are the minority

Education,, English as a second language.. second to what.. english is the language of America... my wife worked her ***** off in bay area ghetto schools,, spanglish is whats taught and accepted,, cultural diversity shoved down everyones throats by liberal administrators...
yuch.. its a mess.. and getting worse
I agree and disagree with ya in some points, I, myself being an "illegal immigrant" as you call it, was brought here by my parents and basically grew up here. I tried to go back to Mexico when I became an adult, but in Mexico I had a lot of catching up to do to be able to get a career and a decent job. Here I work as a 3D Artist in the entertainment industry, I overpay my taxes, and never file for tax return. I "blended" into this society yet I retain my identity.
Before I tell you how I agree with you, let me just explain something quickly:
There's no real advantage for being here illegally. Most do it our of despair because doing it legally means lots and lots of paperwork, and 10 years of waiting, and very likely 10 years of living in misery or your kids never getting an education (my parent's business went under after a great economical crisis, they paid all of their debts and came to the U.S. so they could give us an education, they busted their asses cleaning toilets and fixing cars in the freezing cold). Whose fault is it? not that particular Mexican or illegal immigrant, nor the American citizen. These two are just victims. It is the policy makers of both countries, Mexico and the U.S. Mexico is guilty of not providing enough jobs for it citizens and drowning in corruption, and the U.S. government for having poor and abusive international relationships with it's neighbors because of corruption and personal agendas.
What I'm trying to say is that the illegal immigration problem is not really a problem, but the byproduct or outcome of many other problems.

I agree with having a more controlled not so open door system but that itself has it's own bag of issues:
Like, trying to patch up the border with a bigger fence, will only make people climb higher or dig deeper. Changing our policy to grant citizenship to "us" here, will only help the one's already here, not really helping the illegal immigration problem, many still will come. (plus, granting citizenship in such a grand scale will allow some of the criminals you were talking about to get a citizenship and well, continue their crime spree with newly acquired rights.)
Changing the world politics, and cleansing both governments of corruption sounds more like a movie and is very likely impossible, yet it would be the ideal solution.

I agree that kids should be taught English. I believe the ESL programs are complete crap. I would suggest taking the kids and throwing them into English only classes. That's how I learned English fast. Catering and teaching kids on their native languages only means you are reinforcing the isolation of their culture and language.

So, basically I agree that the U.S. needs to fix the problem, that if this continues it will affect the economy even more (right now it has allowed the widening of the gap between the wealthy and the middle class) by keeping low salaries low.
But I also think that there's no easy way of doing it, that if you just "fix" the illegal immigration problem, you are ignoring the bigger issues that are causing people to fly to the U.S.

ok, if you have any questions about someone living the other side of the story, just ask away, I'm sure you have a crap load of questions.

Last edited by djaguilar; 02-20-2008 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 PM

7,352 posts, read 9,000,971 times
Yes, doing it legally means 10 years of waiting. That's what many people do. The U.S. is a sovereign nation, with legal borders. Neither the Mexican government nor the Mexican people have a right to crash U.S. borders, and then cry "foul!" when they get caught. Illegal immigrants in the U.S. have already shown their willingness and ability to march for what they consider to be their "rights." The question is: why don't they do it in their own country? It's up to the Mexican government to provide education, health care, and employment for their citizens. It's not up to American citizens to do this. And it is up to Mexican citizens to put an end to corruption in their government. It's not up to Americans to do this. I'm very sorry that Mexico, and Mexican citizens, appear unable to get their country under control. But forcing themselves on the American people is completely unacceptable. Illegal immigration is very much "a problem": it puts enormous stresses on the social structure of this country. Further, it increases population levels, which is an unsustainable situation, long term. Just because Mexico borders the U.S. does not give Mexicans special status and/or permission to break our laws. Furthermore, it's completely unfair to the people who come here legally. Sorry, but the U.S. is not for the taking, just because you want it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or