U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 11:32 AM

2,376 posts, read 8,446,563 times

Advertisements

I agree with ya SAGreed. My sons and husband are hispanic and I get the sense that people are lumping everyone into that term here. I know a few former coyotes and not everyone that crosses is of Latin descent...some Middle Eastern..Asian.etc .it just happens to be easy to get through the Mexican border.

Last edited by neddy; 12-28-2006 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 11:34 AM

11,878 posts, read 32,936,242 times
I can understand how you might be offended SA when people start spouting statistics about Hispanics in general. I have no problem with hispanics, I have very close friends that are hispanic as well as from other cultures. Many hispanics, such as yourself, who are here legally have been put on the defensive when that shouldn't be the case.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my problem is with illegal aliens, and that goes for any race - Russian, Polish, Mexican, Canadian, Chinese, German, or whatever. It's not solely about Mexicans or Latinos, it's about illegal immigration.

I do believe the reason many are talking about Hispanics and the explosion in population so much is because the vast majority of those who are illegal are from Mexico and our other neighbors to the South. Therefore, you will probably notice a backlash toward all people of Hispanic descent because the Hispanic illegal immigrant population is by far the most predominant. It's unfortunate, but a fact of life. Many people such as myself were really put off by the millions of (mostly) Hispanics that were marching in the streets in May of this year, demanding this and demanding that. It angered me as well as many other citizens of all races and ethnic backgrounds. But, to reiterate my point, I have nothing against Hispanics in general.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 AM

SA: "The past 7 years I have averaged paying property taxes of over $2,700 a year and taxes on income of over $10k average per year (I get maybe 3k back) yet my wife and I don’t have kids. I guess I am paying for my neighbors kids to go to school? It seems as if I am going off topic but I have a point. The point is there is more than one issue being discussed in this thread. (and no I am not referring to grammar) Thanks for taking the time to read my post."

You're not off-topic at all SA. The point you bring up about paying such high taxes (with no kids) is exactly what we're discussing. You, I and the rest of the citizens of this country, are paying exorbitant taxes to support the influx of illegal aliens. The supposed "benefits" that illegal aliens bring to our society pale in comparison when measured against their true cost (and I'm speaking in solely economic terms here).

America is a country made up of people of all races and cultures. It's what makes this country special. What is now making it "unspecial" is the fact that we now have a whole underclass of people coming from all over the world who refuse to assimilate and become part of our culture; they wish to create a sub-culture all their own and live outside of the law. In the process they are undermining the infrastructure that has taken decades and decades to create. Jobs are being lost to these people by greedy people and corporation who take advantage of illegal immigrants just to line their own pockets. It's just a very, very, sad situation and I don't see it getting any better - only worse.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:01 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,831,085 times
Then I guess I am extra greedy then. I am referring to even have to pay for kids; no matter who they are. Oh and I checked, I way underestimated the property taxes I noted. (as most of you know who actually live in Texas)

Old 12-28-2006, 12:04 PM

101 posts, read 178,265 times
momof wrote:

"When you first asked about these "asian" areas as that was where you are interested."

What's wrong with liking certain authentic foods that can only be found in certain areas only?

"I would not say that he is "wealthy" by any means nor does he probably live in a wealthy gated community"

Assumption

"Yes, he has isolated himself, isolated himself in areas of like people from his own country."

Assumption

"He is clouded by his own circumstances and does not see how the flood of immigrants, illegal and legal, can someday cause this great country of opportunity to not be so great."

Assumption.

Synopsis wrote:

"I wonder if the same applies to the impact of illegal immigration. Could it be that you are as good at filtering out the negative impact of illegal immigration because it doesn't fit in with your preconceived notions of all who are against illegal immigration as racists, or in the very least, dimwitted an unable to accept change?"

Assumption and contradicting with momof. See how much you guys assume?

"I have a mental picture that you are somewhat isolated from society based upon your viewpoints."

Oh, please. His view point is different, so he MUST be isolated from society. HUGE ASSUMPTION.

"You don't live day to day in a world where the negative impacts of illegal immigration are so very apparent. Maybe a gated community or such? Do you have several of these workers doing your garden and tending to your estate?"

Assumption.

"You chastised madmann about his lack of proper English, but you will support and defend those who do not speak a lick of English (or refuse to do so) with great zeal."

How do you differenciate the ones who are in the process of learning and trying and the ones who are not? I guess you just lump them all together as Hispanics, whether they are trying to learn or not, whether they are legal or not, and whether they're from Mexico or not. Your view is: They don't speak English; they are bad bad bad!

"but fail to see the hard facts that those of us in the middle class see on a day-to-day-basis. Such as escalation in crime, the loss of jobs to illegal immigrants, language barriers everywhere you turn, hospitals being overrun and forced to close because of supporting anchor babies, lawsuits against cities that try and do what the federal government “should” be doing to protect its citizens; the list goes on and on and on."

Assumption

Did I over stated my point when I said these individuals assume too much?

Old 12-28-2006, 12:05 PM

Just to offer additional insight as to why the Hispanic community in general is feeling somewhat of a backlash might be because of organizations such as La Raza and Lulac, who have vigorously defended the plight of illegal aliens, and specifically those of Hispanic descent.

I truly wish that there were more Hispanic leaders that would step up to the public forum and denounce these tactics and support our immigration laws instead of trying to usurp them and undermine efforts to put an end to illegal immigration.

An example of such is this; at this very moment, the city of Farmers Branch is trying to implement laws that will curtail the scourge of illegal immigrants in their community. They are asking for laws that will prevent landlords from renting to illegal immigrants, and businesses from hiring illegal immigrants, among other things.

The city council of Farmers Branch has NOT pointed out any specific race, they only target ILLEGAL immigrants. But who comes arrives on the scene to fight these ordinances, that will be voted on by the city of Farmers Branch? None other than Lulac and the ACLU, which decrie these ordinances as racist.

I feel for those Hispanic citizens (and non-citizens who are here legally) that just want to live your lives as other American citizens. It is people such as yourself that have truly built this country into what it is.

However, the Hispanic community does need to step up and take action against these so-called "leaders" and prevent them from further tarnishing the reputation of the Hispanic community.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcity View Post
momof wrote:

"When you first asked about these "asian" areas as that was where you are interested."

What's wrong with liking certain authentic foods that can only be found in certain areas only?

"I would not say that he is "wealthy" by any means nor does he probably live in a wealthy gated community"

Assumption

"Yes, he has isolated himself, isolated himself in areas of like people from his own country."

Assumption

"He is clouded by his own circumstances and does not see how the flood of immigrants, illegal and legal, can someday cause this great country of opportunity to not be so great."

Assumption.

Synopsis wrote:

"I wonder if the same applies to the impact of illegal immigration. Could it be that you are as good at filtering out the negative impact of illegal immigration because it doesn't fit in with your preconceived notions of all who are against illegal immigration as racists, or in the very least, dimwitted an unable to accept change?"

Assumption and contradicting with momof. See how much you guys assume?

"I have a mental picture that you are somewhat isolated from society based upon your viewpoints."

Oh, please. His view point is different, so he MUST be isolated from society. HUGE ASSUMPTION.

"You don't live day to day in a world where the negative impacts of illegal immigration are so very apparent. Maybe a gated community or such? Do you have several of these workers doing your garden and tending to your estate?"

Assumption.

"You chastised madmann about his lack of proper English, but you will support and defend those who do not speak a lick of English (or refuse to do so) with great zeal."

How do you differenciate the ones who are trying and the ones who are not?

"but fail to see the hard facts that those of us in the middle class see on a day-to-day-basis. Such as escalation in crime, the loss of jobs to illegal immigrants, language barriers everywhere you turn, hospitals being overrun and forced to close because of supporting anchor babies, lawsuits against cities that try and do what the federal government “should” be doing to protect its citizens; the list goes on and on and on."

Assumption

Did over stated my point when I said these individuals assume too much?
Hotcity you've made plenty of assumptions in your posts. This forum is about exchanging ideas and arguments. In and during such, assumptions will be made - it is inevitable. I've only tried to make my assumptions clear so that I can try and understand why you come to your conclusions.

You, on the other hand, have willingly neglected information in prior posts and "assumed" away with such statements as "Let's assume you don't have kids" in reference to Steve's comments even after he clearly stated let's "assume" that I do (have kids).

Pot calling the kettle black?

Old 12-28-2006, 12:16 PM

Hotcity: "How do you differenciate the ones who are in the process of learning and trying and the ones who are not? I guess you just lump them all together as Hispanics, whether they are trying to learn or not, whether they are legal or not, and whether they're from Mexico or not. Your view is: They don't speak English; they are bad bad bad!"

This is the biggest "assumption" made thus far. I never said anything about Hispanics. I said that you vigorously defend those who cannot (or will not) speak English, but will attack people such as Madmann, who do not agree with your viewpoint. In reference to those who can not or will not speak English, that goes for anyone in our country who doesn't choose to learn the language of the land - be they Hispanic, Chinese, German, Czech, or otherwise. There you go and trying to pull the race card again; it's inevitable.

And by the way, isn't Madmann also in the process of learning? I understand that he is still in school.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:17 PM

101 posts, read 178,265 times
My interaction with Steve is different from the rest of you. So, don't try to put them all together.

Do you know how wrong your assumptions are?

Old 12-28-2006, 01:00 PM

My assumptions very well could be dead wrong. In fact, I truly hope they are. I do not like arguing for argument's sake and my discourse with you isn't about being bitter Hotcity; I wish you no ill will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or