U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 07:07 PM

625 posts, read 2,218,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I can't stop laughing.
And I can't stop showing you how stupid you sound because you don't have a CLUE as to what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 07:09 PM

625 posts, read 2,218,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Sparky everyone has been a respectful and friendly to debate with, but you need to chill out dude.

It's like the old phrase, "friend"...I'll be nicer when you'll be smarter.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:28 PM

32 posts, read 119,059 times
I live in Phoenix and the problem with illegals is doubled here! At least you have a half decent border fence in California. I'd trade places with any of you! I'm sure you've heard the crime rate here in Phoenix and how most of it is contributed to by hispanic illegals. Let's put this way, I never thought of myself as racist until I moved here 6 years ago, I try not to be still, but it is very hard when they are just as recist back at you, lived better than you, and pay no taxes!

Old 12-30-2006, 09:17 PM

28,885 posts, read 15,969,660 times
Default Latinos invade the Midwest and South

My friend in Omaha told me that about 10-15 years ago, that their area began seeing a large influx of Latinos. He said that they're starting to see the same problems that we in California and the Southwest have been dealing with for a long time. He said that one school district in the south side of the city has become almost entirely made up of Latinos, most of whom don't speak English, and that bilingual teachers are in high demand. I've read of this same phenomenon taking place in Indianapolis.

I even heard of this same thing taking place in North Carolina. Someone I know said when he visited over there, that he saw a bunch of Latinos doing gardening work in front of one office building, like we see here in California all the time!

Old 12-30-2006, 09:42 PM

144 posts, read 849,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiksa View Post
I live in Phoenix and the problem with illegals is doubled here! At least you have a half decent border fence in California. I'd trade places with any of you! I'm sure you've heard the crime rate here in Phoenix and how most of it is contributed to by hispanic illegals. Let's put this way, I never thought of myself as racist until I moved here 6 years ago, I try not to be still, but it is very hard when they are just as recist back at you, lived better than you, and pay no taxes!
I have to say that the fence isn't that much better. I live in San Diego and it's pathetic, it's falling apart and the way it's designed actually functions as a ladder.

About illegal immigration, I really wonder what people would do without a mexican taking care of their kids, their house, cooking meals and her male counterpart taking care of the landscaping, helping out with projects around the house and picking all the amazing california produce.

I really wonder.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:05 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,019,301 times
Then I guess you really wonder what we American citizens who do all these things ourselves do, those of us without the income to hire help. I just learned to install wire, mortar, and retile the bathtub area because it needed to be done. Next is a friend helping me to wallpaper. It's SO elitist to assume everyone hires illegals!

Old 12-30-2006, 10:58 PM

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
I am as against illegal immigration as anyone else, as I have seen what it has done to Los Angeles over the past twenty years.

What is of great concern, though, is the racial tone of the anti-immigration rants now. If the racial element was toned down or even nonexistent, there would be nothing to debate. Illegals are criminals, period. I don't care what nationality they are, what gender, or what profession. Neither should anyone else!

Also, if our corrupt politicians would wake the H--- up and see what's really happening in L.A. (and to the entire country as well, just at a slower rate), maybe the existing laws would finally be enforced! We really need to go after the employers who are hiring illegals - and that includes not just the farms in the Central Valley, but your next door neighbor who hires an illegal to watch the kids while he or she is at work, etc. You shouldn't complain out of one side of your mouth, and yet hire an illegal with the other side!

Right now people in this area can still escape - to Idaho, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, etc. I am sure, though, that in another twenty or thirty years, the rest of the country is going to be like Los Angeles is right now - and God only knows what L.A. will look like! Then what will we all do - flee to Canada?! No one in charge seems to want to really look into the future; when I do, it makes me simultaneously apprehensive and sad.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:07 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Most of Los Angeles housing looks very old. White flight is very evident through many parts of the County over the years. A certain people does not have the ability to make a neighborhood like "rough". An increase of gangs can follow, not a stereotype, but only culture, macho man, or another deciding factor. The reason for the run down areas of Los Angeles is years of neglect on very,very old homes and landscape. The San Fernando Valley isn't scary except for Pacoima and Panorama City, it just looks very old, and it needs attention. So remember next time you drive through a rough neighborhood, it's usually the lack of maintenance of property that gives a negative appeal rather than the fear of nearby gangs.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:39 PM

354 posts, read 761,894 times
Default If only...

I myself often wonder what kind of change could occur if even half of the population greatly impacted by the influx of illegal immigration spent half as much time concocting a feasible plan of their own as they do endlessly complaining about the developing injustices and negativity surrounding the overwhelming Latino population. Every taxed American is ready to denounce the big, bad, corporate man but is not likely ready to begin paying $8 for a McDonald's hamburger, twice as much for fresh produce, or full, market price for Wal*Mart products. And, consequently, the taxed American is not ready to accept the even higher cost of living, on the national level, for the middle class.

How do you think the Northeast responded to the first two major waves of immigration during the respective two revolutions? The "natives" (or, earlier WASP immigrants) shunned those that lived in ethnic enclaves and were willing to work in the coal mines and in stunning factory conditions to support their families. This really isn't much of a different situation-- except, perhaps, that technological advances have allowed for a larger amount of immigrants to arrive at a steadier rate for a longer amount of time. Above all else, the solution is not to resort to stereotyping and further degradation of this new, immigrant, working class. For example, most Americans can now appreciate Italian-Americans and how they have impacted the American culture. I can only assume that the greasy-haired, non-English educated, mafiosi were not initially widely accepted (yes, those are racial slurs.). Perhaps it was their fabulous old-country cuisine that swayed public opinion?

At the very least, I think the American plan of action should consist of the following points, A - G:
  • Initial and complete border closure (not including those with proper, passport identification)
  • A comprehensive, new identification system (NIS) for those without social security, passport, etc. (ie: illegal aliens)
  • New laws prohibiting the hiring of laborers without citizen identification or NIS
  • Considerable fines according to tax bracket for businesses that break such employment laws
  • As per NIS, a set of fees to cover the cost of processing backround checks, proper health examinations (ie: Ellis Island), a funding pool for non-citizen economic offsets, and eventual legalization paperwork
  • Code of compliance for those in NIS, according to three strike rule (legal trouble, incarceration, etc.), and consequential deportation
  • Uniform number of years and estimated cost for each NIS participant to become a naturalized, tax-paying citizen

Ultimately, it is not possible to deport the upwards of 12 million illegal immigrants residing in the States today. The only forseeable answer is to stop our current problem (see point A) and slowly begin to deal with our problems of the past (see points B - G)

Old 12-31-2006, 12:13 AM

144 posts, read 849,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Then I guess you really wonder what we American citizens who do all these things ourselves do, those of us without the income to hire help. I just learned to install wire, mortar, and retile the bathtub area because it needed to be done. Next is a friend helping me to wallpaper. It's SO elitist to assume everyone hires illegals!
You might not, but a SIZABLE ammount do. Okay so you don't hire a live in illegal mexican to act as a second mom or pick up labor help at the home depot (who built your house, white people?), but the food you've eaten at a resturant was cooked by an illegal. Don't go out to eat, fine. Then all of those veggies that you eat have been touched by illegal immigrants. A lot of goods and services in our beloved California require illegal immigrants. We can't survive without them if we continue to use them the way we do today.

It's not like they're bad people. Often times, I've found that they have a better work ethic than white people. Take our 'nanny' person who came as a semi-illegal 15 years ago (citizen now). She never misses work and HAS NEVER BEEN LATE, not twice, not once, never. For 15 years. How many white people can say that? Her son is on his way to become a doctor so the greedy liberals can tax him to death when he gets there, but I digress. At least the American Dream is alive somewhere.

My parent are doctors, so I'm aware of the strain they're causing on our hospitals. I volunteer at a local public elementary school, so I know what our schools are like and how a good ammount of the mexicans are behind their white peers. These mexicans are lucky to live in a wealthy area so the school they go to is actually pretty nice. I shiver to think about what city heights schools are like.

There are some obvious drawbacks and illegal immigration should be stopped, but it can't. We simply can't survive without illegals......look at the daily lives of people living in Southern California and think about evey thing they touch and everything that they do and then think about if an illegal immigrant is related to it. They are.

We say we want them out, but then we go home and who made that fresh OJ on the counter. Oh that's right, your illegal immigrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or