Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:30 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Without the illegals, there would be a massive job shortage. For example, Construction. I live in California, white dudes don't do Construction, it's physically very difficult.

<mock horror>...I don't do construction???

And neither does my father?

Who knew?

No, dear delusioned one--white guys DO in fact "do construction"...but not when they've been undercut by wages which have declined to barely half of what they were merely a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 03:32 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,895 times
Quote:
Wait, when did they pay Construction workers 15.00 to 20.00 dollars? Must have been at least 25 years ago. The higher paid employees? There's not much hierarchy in Contruction, you have the peons and maybe a midsize peon surveying them in one category and the architect, developer, and general contractor at best. It's B.S. they can't speak English. LOL. Why would that affect you? Yeah there's greed, and that's not morally right. But, these Illegal dudes, they'd work for a brick. The last 4 lines have nothing to do with the conversation.

Nope--laborers on a construction site when I was 16 (many years ago) got $11/hour. Nowadays those same jobs are filled for $6.75.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:32 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
<mock horror>...I don't do construction???

And neither does my father?

Who knew?

No, dear delusioned one--white guys DO in fact "do construction"...but not when they've been undercut by wages which have declined to barely half of what they were merely a decade ago.
It is a shame too. My husband is quite talented but they dont care about quality, just price.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:04 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,977 times
I have never heard of the excuse "white guys" don't do construction because it is too hard. I remember tons of my dad's friends doing construction and making excellent money. Far more money than my parents who were teachers. The problem is you can now get the cheap labor and like someone else said, most "white guys" don't live 10+ to a house and cannot afford to live on lower wages. I am not trying to say that in a racist way, but more of a difference in culture. I think one of the main problems is now we have poorly constructed houses because we have lost the experts and gained cheaped labor which only the builder really benefits from. We as home owners now get pipes that have been installed backwards! We get hot water in our toilet because an unskilled person couldn't figure out to reverse the pipes to our bathroom that backs into our laundryroom.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I have never heard of the excuse "white guys" don't do construction because it is too hard. I remember tons of my dad's friends doing construction and making excellent money. Far more money than my parents who were teachers. The problem is you can now get the cheap labor and like someone else said, most "white guys" don't live 10+ to a house and cannot afford to live on lower wages. I am not trying to say that in a racist way, but more of a difference in culture. I think one of the main problems is now we have poorly constructed houses because we have lost the experts and gained cheaped labor which only the builder really benefits from. We as home owners now get pipes that have been installed backwards! We get hot water in our toilet because an unskilled person couldn't figure out to reverse the pipes to our bathroom that backs into our laundryroom.
Saving a buck may sound good, but as we have seen to many imes, it can come at a price, mostly to the new homeowner. My husband bid a huge deck job once, bid three thousand dollars over the accepted bid. Well here comes a band of cheap labor, did the work very fast and not two months later the guy called my husband to fix the shoddy work. Whole thing had to be torn down. So infact he spent double, when he should have just taken my husbands bid. People want to save money in areas where they really need to think twice. He still has NO idea how it passed inspection.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Wait, when did they pay Construction workers 15.00 to 20.00 dollars? Must have been at least 25 years ago. The higher paid employees? There's not much hierarchy in Contruction, you have the peons and maybe a midsize peon surveying them in one category and the architect, developer, and general contractor at best. It's B.S. they can't speak English. LOL. Why would that affect you? Yeah there's greed, and that's not morally right. But, these Illegal dudes, they'd work for a brick. The last 4 lines have nothing to do with the conversation.
it was 25 years ago and thats when it started for my cousins, they started hiring illegals for a fraction of the pay, the company would send a supervisor out with a group of illegals to over see thier work, as the years passed they just took over a decent paying job.

How does not speaking english affect me? I hired a roofing contractor, he sent a crew and took off the old roof and then sent one guy to roof the whole house, he could not speak english and had a problem with his compressor, he had tripped a breaker but he could not tell me what was wrong, I figured out what had happened but he could not understand that I told him to remove his extension cord and move the compressor closer to the outlet, I had to call the contractor to explain it to him and it took two hours of my time to do it. I hired a cement company to pour a sidewalk and pad, they kept asking me questions but I didn't have a clue what they were asking and that caused them to tear out a section of curbing that wasn't supose to be tore out, then they stole tools from my garage, I guess they were asking if they could have them, yeah thats it.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
And people saying "white guys wont do construction work, really offends my husband" he's fed up with that lame excuse. Sorry about your pipes, seems as though inspectors are getting lazy as well.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
it was 25 years ago and thats when it started for my cousins, they started hiring illegals for a fraction of the pay, the company would send a supervisor out with a group of illegals to over see thier work, as the years passed they just took over a decent paying job.

How does not speaking english affect me? I hired a roofing contractor, he sent a crew and took off the old roof and then sent one guy to roof the whole house, he could not speak english and had a problem with his compressor, he had tripped a breaker but he could not tell me what was wrong, I figured out what had happened but he could not understand that I told him to remove his extension cord and move the compressor closer to the outlet, I had to call the contractor to explain it to him and it took two hours of my time to do it. I hired a cement company to pour a sidewalk and pad, they kept asking me questions but I didn't have a clue what they were asking and that caused them to tear out a section of curbing that wasn't supose to be tore out, then they stole tools from my garage, I guess they were asking if they could have them, yeah thats it.

they stole tools right out of my husbands truck, while he was there. he goes inside to check work, he comes out to find them in the back of his truck unloading tools. At that point he wished he had a gun. They were stealing his lively hood, No respect for us, just their needs.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Nope--laborers on a construction site when I was 16 (many years ago) got $11/hour. Nowadays those same jobs are filled for $6.75.
I have seen them get paid like 5 bucks an hour, sorry we cant compete with that, we need more to live.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:05 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 View Post
I have seen them get paid like 5 bucks an hour, sorry we cant compete with that, we need more to live.
This is a racial jab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration