U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,630,274 times
Reputation: 3668

Advertisements

Quote:
The rage and anger surrounding illegal immigration is visible everywhere.

In the outright racist comments posted on the Internet. In blistering arguments on television. And in tense stand-offs in the streets. It seems the signs of discontent are only growing.
Why so angry about illegal immigration? | Arizona local news - Mesa, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Tempe, Chandler | eastvalleytribune.com (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/115493 - broken link)

I hope things do not hit a 'flash point'.

If dysfunctional Wash DC were smart: they would pass and enforce laws similar to Oklahoma's to deal with the illegal immigration menace-----and, limit birthright citizenship to US born children of either citizens or legal residents of the USA only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Denver
8,127 posts, read 10,156,281 times
Reputation: 3987
I hope it doesn't get to that point also ArizonaBear, however, it seems that is destiny. People on both sides are becoming more angry and far more racist. In the last year, my wife and I have definitely seen a rise of discrimination towards hispanics here in SoCal.

We have talked about moving to another country if it gets that bad, maybe Brazil or Spain, possibly Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 09:50 PM
 
3,046 posts, read 1,781,964 times
Reputation: 1290
At a peaceful rally I attended with the Minutemen there was lots of anger coming in the form of the finger and f u gringo redneck whitey (racial type comments). If you stand at a Veterans Memorial and hold a sign calling for border security there is a good chance you will be harrassed and threatened and if police dont show up you may be assaulted. A guy I know was roughed up for holding a secure the border sign. It seems to me that the pro-illegal crowd is more dangerous and free to use the racial slurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Romeoville, IL
1,239 posts, read 1,609,039 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
At a peaceful rally I attended with the Minutemen there was lots of anger coming in the form of the finger and f u gringo redneck whitey (racial type comments). If you stand at a Veterans Memorial and hold a sign calling for border security there is a good chance you will be harrassed and threatened and if police dont show up you may be assaulted. A guy I know was roughed up for holding a secure the border sign. It seems to me that the pro-illegal crowd is more dangerous and free to use the racial slurs.
That's because if you call them out on their Mod Cut, you're a racist, but if they come out in force and protest for their right's to break our laws, they are just being victims. What is more disgusting are the people who support the illegals.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 05-05-2008 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 10:04 PM
 
Location: New England
7,923 posts, read 5,852,938 times
Reputation: 10471
If illegals are going to take over our country and our language maybe we should be planning to go elsewhere. How long has it been that we've had to pay for hispanic kids to be educated in Spanish instead of English???

That's not their fault, it's a stupid law. We'd all be better off if they just learned English--kids absorbs language easily.

I'll take LEGAL immigrants any day but not illegals. Illegals allow themselves to be exploited and work for peanuts and that hurts American workers who would like to get a job -- any job. Americans who pay taxes and live like normal people (not 30 people in one house and using stolen ids) should get those jobs and be paid a decent wage and not get taken advantage of. However, the illegals undermine the US workers because they will work under conditions that this country outlawed many years ago.

Wait until those illegals get made LEGAL -- I hope there is a HUGE outcry and protest from the immigrants who have waited in line, paid the money, filled out the forms, been patient -- the government should give them their money back and compensate them for the time and effort they had to put into getting into this country LEGALLY. Is there no justice anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,630,274 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I hope it doesn't get to that point also ArizonaBear, however, it seems that is destiny. People on both sides are becoming more angry and far more racist. In the last year, my wife and I have definitely seen a rise of discrimination towards hispanics here in SoCal.

We have talked about moving to another country if it gets that bad, maybe Brazil or Spain, possibly Australia.
Be careful about Australia------'Hispanic' is not recognized as a distinct entity. People of Italian, Arab, etc background are referred to as 'wogs'......which roughly translates to a Mexican calling an American a Gringo.

And Spain may not be good either; there is quite a bit of hostility towards New World Hispanics------even White Argentines of Spanish lineage.

You may actually be safest here in the USA, ironically enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Denver
8,127 posts, read 10,156,281 times
Reputation: 3987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Be careful about Australia------'Hispanic' is not recognized as a distinct entity. People of Italian, Arab, etc background are referred to as 'wogs'......which roughly translates to a Mexican calling an American a Gringo.

And Spain may not be good either; there is quite a bit of hostility towards New World Hispanics------even White Argentines of Spanish lineage.

You may actually be safest here in the USA, ironically enough.
I have lived in Sydney, and Gold Coast of Australia for a year...never once an issue, nada. If you are aborigine then different story unfortunately. Brazil is a definite possibility and would be easy, learning Portuguese..shouldn't be too hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,630,274 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I have lived in Sydney, and Gold Coast of Australia for a year...never once an issue, nada. If you are aborigine then different story unfortunately. Brazil is a definite possibility and would be easy, learning Portuguese..shouldn't be too hard.
All that I can say is to immigrate legally to Oz........Aussies lock up any illegal they catch-------sometimes for years. Even if said individual was a political refugee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 PM
 
220 posts, read 249,855 times
Reputation: 109
ArizonaBear,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear
...
And Spain may not be good either; there is quite a bit of hostility towards New World Hispanics------even White Argentines of Spanish lineage.
...
Really?! The Spaniards even frown upon the White Argentines. How do you know this?

Please don't take this as a personal challenge or anything, I am genuinely curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,630,274 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
ArizonaBear,



Really?! The Spaniards even frown upon the White Argentines. How do you know this?

Please don't take this as a personal challenge or anything, I am genuinely curious.
I read an article; the link escape me, that Argentines who live in Spain tend to act 'superior' (in the eyes of Spaniards, that is) or some such nonsense.

Supposedly; Spain does like immigrants from Italy and Romania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top