Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Joe Arpaio should be aware he needs to be careful how he treats the Latino community if he wants to be a long term sheriff. Maricopa County is 30% Latino with only 8% being voters. The population will catch up once U.S. born Latino children are 18 years old. It should be interesting to see if he continues to profile in the case of fighting illegal immigration. We've seen in history that profiling of African Americans wasn't to popular amongst them.
And; looking at our Benicar, Alanboy395, etc.-------they used to be 'liberal' towards many things.

Now: both of the above Americans; who BTW happen to be African American------are about as anti illegal immigration as any stereotypical 'cracker'.

Too; many Americans of 'Hispanic' heritage want our borders closed/locked in conjunction with mass deportations of illegals-----even if said illegals are mostly Latino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 PM

451 posts, read 310,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; looking at our Benicar, Alanboy395, etc.-------they used to be 'liberal' towards many things.

Now: both of the above Americans; who BTW happen to be African American------are about as anti illegal immigration as any stereotypical 'cracker'.

Too; many Americans of 'Hispanic' heritage want our borders closed/locked in conjunction with mass deportations of illegals-----even if said illegals are mostly Latino.
Not true, you know nothing about latin american sentiment, overwhelmingly
they are in favor of migant workers, you will see that there are significant
discrepancies between countries, but when it comes to defend our hispanic culture they become one powerful nation within U.S. Tey also know that they have the political power.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
discrepancies between countries, but when it comes to defend our hispanic culture they become one powerful nation within U.S. Tey also know that they have the political power.
I am not impressed.

Remember that if we are going to play a 'numbers game' using just Democrats: Blacks cancel out 'Hispanics' due to the fact that ca. 99% of AA's are US citizens and now have small families hence a larger cohort of adult voters. Each so-called ethnicity is about 13-15% of the US population------including children.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am not impressed.

Remember that if we are going to play a 'numbers game' using just Democrats: Blacks cancel out 'Hispanics' due to the fact that ca. 99% of AA's are US citizens and now have small families hence a larger cohort of adult voters. Each so-called ethnicity is about 13-15% of the US population------including children.
So, you got it A+B+C=50%,

Old 05-17-2008, 09:45 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
That hasn't been my experience at all. I know many Americans of Hispanic descent, and a large number of them are in my family. ALL of them are acutely aware of racism, and don't like anti-Hispanic sentiments..pretty understandable, I guess.

Yet almost ALL of them over the age of 13 or so, are outspokenly FED UP with illegal immigration. Many of them have talked about how they HATE IT when people assume they "MUST be in sympathy with illegals"...it's the height of racism....it's like telling a black American he "MUST be in sympathy with the Crips and Bloods"...or telling a white "You probably like the KKK--right?"

Most of the Hispanics I know have a strong tradition of serving in the US Military. THey have no desire to be regarded as "loyal Mexicans", and many get quite offended when being addressed in Spanish, regarding it as insulting..many of them don't even SPEAK Spanish. They get just about as irritated by the illegals, as they do with liberal whites who want to ask them about "the wonderful Mexican culture". It's demeaning and it's insulting, and it upsets them...believe me, I've heard it, time after time.

I guess you know some Hispanics, but you sure don't know all of them.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That hasn't been my experience at all. I know many Americans of Hispanic descent, and a large number of them are in my family. ALL of them are acutely aware of racism, and don't like anti-Hispanic sentiments..pretty understandable, I guess.

Yet almost ALL of them over the age of 13 or so, are outspokenly FED UP with illegal immigration. Many of them have talked about how they HATE IT when people assume they "MUST be in sympathy with illegals"...it's the height of racism....it's like telling a black American he "MUST be in sympathy with the Crips and Bloods"...or telling a white "You probably like the KKK--right?"

Most of the Hispanics I know have a strong tradition of serving in the US Military. THey have no desire to be regarded as "loyal Mexicans", and many get quite offended when being addressed in Spanish, regarding it as insulting..many of them don't even SPEAK Spanish. They get just about as irritated by the illegals, as they do with liberal whites who want to ask them about "the wonderful Mexican culture". It's demeaning and it's insulting, and it upsets them...believe me, I've heard it, time after time.

macmeal:

That was one cut-and-dried post there; knowing you, when you are that 'direct'-------you must be annoyed, to be polite-----and, understandably so.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:

People with italian or french ancestry, for example, cherish their ancestral
tradition and culture, nothing wrong with that, in a similar fashion most hispanic families treasure their culture, my observations are that the ones that try to allienate themselves from this predicament are usually not the
brightest, and most successful, the proven fact is that people that are fully bilingual have higher IQ's.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
People with italian or french ancestry, for example, cherish their ancestral
tradition and culture, nothing wrong with that, in a similar fashion most hispanic families treasure their culture, my observations are that the ones that try to allienate themselves from this predicament are usually not the
brightest, and most successful, the proven fact is that people that are fully bilingual have higher IQ's.
What does any of this have to do with illegal immigration? You're losing me here...(and I suspect, I'm one of the 'last to go'). Cherishing one's ancestral culture means condoning illegal immigration? That's news to me.

I shudder to think what will ever happn if we get a large number of immigrants from New Guinea. THEIR ancestral culture includes cannibalism. It will be pretty hard, I guess, for them to assimilate with our many California vegetarians.

Yes, those ancestral cultures can be a real problem. They can make us do all KINDS of things. Near me, we have a large number of both Serbian and Croatian-decended Americans, many living in close proximity. I expect "balkan-style" fighting to break out any day now...after all, it's part of their ancestral culture.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
What does any of this have to do with illegal immigration? You're losing me here...(and I suspect, I'm one of the 'last to go'). Cherishing one's ancestral culture means condoning illegal immigration? That's news to me.

I shudder to think what will ever happn if we get a large number of immigrants from New Guinea. THEIR ancestral culture includes cannibalism. It will be pretty hard, I guess, for them to assimilate with our many California vegetarians.

Yes, those ancestral cultures can be a real problem. They can make us do all KINDS of things. Near me, we have a large number of both Serbian and Croatian-decended Americans, many living in close proximity. I expect "balkan-style" fighting to break out any day now...after all, it's part of their ancestral culture.
So, you are saying that everyone should assimilate to "american"(?) culture,
and since we have the highest number of pedophiles, and serial killers in the world, that means that every one should be that way??

Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
So, you are saying that everyone should assimilate to "american"(?) culture,
and since we have the highest number of pedophiles, and serial killers in the world, that means that every one should be that way??
Of course...since every American is a pedophile, and ALSO every American is a serial killer, if you want to be American, you'd have to pick up the culture..it seems pretty simple to me. Remember, America was founded on the right to "life, liberty, and the pusuit of young children"...

If you wanted to move to Saudi Arabia, on the other hand, you'd have to learn how to blow up buildings...otherwise, how could you ever asimilate?

It's not EASY to assimilate into a society...but you at least have to make an honest effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration