U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times

Advertisements

The latest battle in the war on illegal immigration isn't over the smuggling of undocumented workers, it's over the trash they leave behind.

Government officials and border activists say the garbage dumped in the desert by illegal immigrants and their smugglers is staggering.

And the cleanup is costing taxpayers millions.

FOXNews.com - Groups Struggle to Clean Up Mess Illegal Immigrants Leave Behind - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The latest battle in the war on illegal immigration isn't over the smuggling of undocumented workers, it's over the trash they leave behind.

Government officials and border activists say the garbage dumped in the desert by illegal immigrants and their smugglers is staggering.

FOXNews.com - Groups Struggle to Clean Up Mess Illegal Immigrants Leave Behind - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Don't you know they are so worried about the environment that they do not want a fence to be built because it might stop a jaguar from going where it wanted to? Even though someone pointed out that in a zoo the problem is typically finding a fence high enough to keep the jaguar in.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 PM

220 posts, read 336,040 times
Those of you who posture as environmentalists please take note of this.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
Those of you who posture as environmentalists please take note of this.
Are you surprised to find out that the President of the Sierra Club is an open borders fanatic?

I was.

What is going on in our deserts surrounding the border goes way beyond simple litterbug behavior. My question is, where is the Sierra Club? Where is Global Green? Where is Al Gore?

They are all strangely silent on this issue because when it comes down to it, they all have their hands in corporate America's pockets too.

I know that carbon emissions are the political darling of the left these days, but I have to tell you--I find it rather duplicitous when people sanctimoniously preach to the rest of us about carbon emissions while refusing to acknowledge the fact that illegal immigration is destroying delicate desert habitats along with the plants and animals which rely on them.

But then again, it just isn't politically correct to speak out about how these "hard-working" people are destroying the environment as they disregard sovereign U.S. law to break into our country, is it?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:05 PM

220 posts, read 336,040 times
Kele,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele;
Are you surprised to find out that the President of the Sierra Club is an open borders fanatic?

I was.

What is going on in our deserts surrounding the border goes way beyond simple litterbug behavior. My question is, where is the Sierra Club? Where is Global Green? Where is Al Gore?

They are all strangely silent on this issue because when it comes down to it, they all have their hands in corporate America's pockets too.

I know that carbon emissions are the political darling of the left these days, but I have to tell you--I find it rather duplicitous when people sanctimoniously preach to the rest of us about carbon emissions while refusing to acknowledge the fact that illegal immigration is destroying delicate desert habitats along with the plants and animals which rely on them.

But then again, it just isn't politically correct to speak out about how these "hard-working" people are destroying the environment as they disregard sovereign U.S. law to break into our country, is it?
You have made some great observations with respect to the utter hypocrisy of the Left's so-called embrace of environmentalism.

Where is the Sierra Club, or the rest of the so-called "environmentalists", when our aquifer's are being depleted and our landscape is being spoiled by the necessities of overpopulation in the American Southwest? How can these people even pretend to care about the enviornment when they dutifully ignore such destruction to American ecology (not to mention our effected national parks)? What's the point of reducing carbon emissions when our cities are nothing more than an endless loop of strip malls, chain restaurants, apartment complexes, McMansions, and Wal-Marts?

Americans may be reduced to an existence of techno-serf knowledge workers living in carbon-copy suburbs, dutifully fulfilling their roles within the greater hierarchy of our globalized [plantation] economy, but at least we'll reduce our carbon footprints!

Unfortunately, I don't have the explanation for how people absorb these apparent contradictions. I am tempted, more than often not, to chalk these things up to a general age of insanity and leave it at that.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:44 PM

2,940 posts, read 6,975,142 times
Unfortunately there are few people in the environmental community who seem to care about what is happening to the borderlands. I brought this very subject up last year on an environmental/outdoor forum at njpinebarrens.com, and the site owner felt the need to delete my post and warn me if I posted any more stuff about the negative impacts of illegal immigration, I'd be banned.
It seems those in the environmental movement always seem to align with the liberals. They really don't care about the environment, they just care about making money. The Sierra Club would also not take a position on this when I wrote them.
And it's not just how they are destroying the Sonoran desert, there's also been reports of illegals growing drugs in our national parks, and squatting in parks and preserves, some of which are on Long Island.
Then there's the impact of all the pollution from the landscapers (esp blowers) which seem to be very popular with the illegals (they use them and blow everything into the street and into storm drains).
And I was banned from that forum when I decided I didn't want to be a sheep anymore. These people say they love the woods and the environment than shoot the messenger when they bring up impacts of illegals. They are so upset about NJ's budget cuts to state parks, yet it's mainly because illegals are sucking the state's coffers dry from the welfare and health care, that NJ is in financial trouble.
Being someone who wants to see land preserved and reductions in pollution, I find it darn near impossible to find other people in the cause to be upset about what illegals are doing.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

I've witnessed this dumping first hand, Greatday . . . IT IS DISGUSTING.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
Kele,

You have made some great observations with respect to the utter hypocrisy of the Left's so-called embrace of environmentalism.

Where is the Sierra Club, or the rest of the so-called "environmentalists", when our aquifer's are being depleted and our landscape is being spoiled by the necessities of overpopulation in the American Southwest? How can these people even pretend to care about the enviornment when they dutifully ignore such destruction to American ecology (not to mention our effected national parks)? What's the point of reducing carbon emissions when our cities are nothing more than an endless loop of strip malls, chain restaurants, apartment complexes, McMansions, and Wal-Marts?

Americans may be reduced to an existence of techno-serf knowledge workers living in carbon-copy suburbs, dutifully fulfilling their roles within the greater hierarchy of our globalized [plantation] economy, but at least we'll reduce our carbon footprints!

Unfortunately, I don't have the explanation for how people absorb these apparent contradictions. I am tempted, more than often not, to chalk these things up to a general age of insanity and leave it at that.
The Sierra Club is a joke. A few years back they had a gentleman on their board who spoke up saying that illegal aliens were damaging the environment and in order to fix the environment something needed to be done-well as you can imagine-they booted him off the board.

Also, the "founder" of Earth day-way back then said overpopulation was one of the greatest threats to our environment. Like you and others have posted, we never hear any of these groups or individuals talk about curbing population to help the environment, do we?

Nicolem

Old 05-09-2008, 06:34 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
I watched a show with Congressman Brian Bilbray from California. He was talking about how before a barrier went up in San Diego, a certain bird/duck was becoming extinct because the illegal aliens were eating this bird/duck that lives along this area-this animal was on the extinct list-you or I could not do anything to it but illegals were eating it-once again laws only apply to Americans and legal citizens. Ever since this barrier has been errected this bird/duck is making a come back. Where are all the wildlife groups on what these illegals are doing to the animals by the border?

Nicolem

Old 05-09-2008, 06:50 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I watched a show with Congressman Brian Bilbray from California. He was talking about how before a barrier went up in San Diego, a certain bird/duck was becoming extinct because the illegal aliens were eating this bird/duck that lives along this area-this animal was on the extinct list-you or I could not do anything to it but illegals were eating it-once again laws only apply to Americans and legal citizens. Ever since this barrier has been errected this bird/duck is making a come back. Where are all the wildlife groups on what these illegals are doing to the animals by the border?

Nicolem
The environmental groups are terribly politically correct - that's why they don't want to mess with "immigration" - ILLEGAL or not. They don't give two hoots about it. Let the bums do whatever they want to our country on the border, and eat our extinct animals, to boot.

Disgusting, all around. Years ago, I worked for an environmental agency, and believe me, they are one of the most politically correct people I've ever known. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go down to the border and HELP the illegals come across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or