U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 05:38 AM

23,023 posts, read 31,991,437 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com

That chart is very telling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Quote:
A major reason for these disparities in assimilation levels may be the high percentage of Mexican immigrants who are in the country illegally, Vigdor said. When only cultural factors are considered, Mexicans score almost as high as Vietnamese and higher than immigrants from countries such as India and China, which tend to have a high rate of immigration to the United States.
The above makes sense.

Another factor is that legal immigrants (of any race/ethnicity) have higher regard for the laws of this nation whereas the illegal ones tend to be much more insolent.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,823,428 times
Interesting study. I'm always amazed at the ease in which data on illegal aliens is gathered for these studies; yet, our government simply can't determine who and where they are due to their "living in the shadows" status. I agree with AzBear; legal immigrants tend to want to become Americans, unlike their illegal counterparts.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:55 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,339,152 times
Once again, trying to give you and AZ Bear a positive rep, but have to "spread it around first."

QUOTE=Benicar;3750950]Interesting study. I'm always amazed at the ease in which data on illegal aliens is gathered for these studies; yet, our government simply can't determine who and where they are due to their "living in the shadows" status. I agree with AzBear; legal immigrants tend to want to become Americans, unlike their illegal counterparts.[/quote]

Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 PM

539 posts, read 1,613,594 times
carolac-same thing happened to me

Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 PM

539 posts, read 1,613,594 times
The problem with these results are that they could be read and interpreted differently. The headline in the USA Today read; "Immigrants Assimilating Faster" while the headline in my local paper stated; "Immigrants Less Assimilated". Both statements are true. While overall - imigrants are assimilating faster- the amount of complete assimilation(conforming with ones surroundings) is less.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Interesting study. I'm always amazed at the ease in which data on illegal aliens is gathered for these studies; yet, our government simply can't determine who and where they are due to their "living in the shadows" status. I agree with AzBear; legal immigrants tend to want to become Americans, unlike their illegal counterparts.
Why the heck would they count illegals? If you know they're illegal, bring the buses for goodness sakes. It's ridiculous - farcical. It's a blatant disregard for our own laws to just sit there and count them, and do nothing about it.

Stupidity at it's best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration