U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I think long before that, actually. Though that doesn't justify treating people unfairly. Some of these newly-arrived immigrants end up working and not getting paid at all. I have read about this in the local papers.
If said immigrants are legal; they have rights, if illegal, they gambled and lost.

That stated; all states of the Union should have a law similar to my state's Employer Sanctions Law punishing employers who knowingly hire illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 09:45 AM

84,977 posts, read 98,832,039 times
I would also punish employers who hire people and don't pay them, whether they are legal or illegal. That is simply dishonest.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 AM

1,536 posts, read 5,418,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Tancredo is a hero, he is the one who first addressed this issue.
Immigration was an issue before Tancredo was born. Heros become presidents, when properly elected and not appointed. Didn't Tancredo just drop out of the current race due to lack of support? Amazing this idiot is still around. As a Denver native, Tancredo is an embarassment to our state!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:39 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
I would also punish employers who hire people and don't pay them, whether they are legal or illegal. That is simply dishonest.
I have no problem with that either.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,847 times
Quote:
From your name I'm taking it that you are a Nurse, if so what do you think of them using our ER's as their Doctors office ? And when they don't pay their bill would you also call that "simply dishonest" ?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Yes, I'm a nurse. We are taught to treat everyone without regard for their politics. "They" don't usually use dr's offices, they are more likely to go to a clinic, if they procure health care anywhere. I don't work in an ER. I don't know the extent of the problem. I don't know if many are not paying their bills. Yes, that's dishonest.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm a nurse. We are taught to treat everyone without regard for their politics. "They" don't usually use dr's offices, they are more likely to go to a clinic, if they procure health care anywhere. I don't work in an ER. I don't know the extent of the problem. I don't know if many are not paying their bills. Yes, that's dishonest.
I wasn't asking about anyones politics..This thread is about illegals..and the question was what do you think of them using the ER's AS their Doctors office..And it is a huge problem here in the ER's , and no they don't turn them away....

Old 01-12-2008, 01:08 PM

I meant we don't turn people away for being illegal. It isn't even asked. I said I don't know much about the ER situation, especially in Texas. Of course I think people should pay their bills. I also think health care is a right, and people should receive it regardless of ability to pay. Perahps we should ask the Mexican government for some reimbursement in border areas where this is a problem.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I meant we don't turn people away for being illegal. It isn't even asked. I said I don't know much about the ER situation, especially in Texas. Of course I think people should pay their bills. I also think health care is a right, and people should receive it regardless of ability to pay. Perahps we should ask the Mexican government for some reimbursement in border areas where this is a problem.
The Mexican government has said it's not their job to pay for medical care to their illegal citizens in our country..

My daughter is an RN also and the hospital she works for also turns no one away in an emergency or non emergencys after office hours.

If no one paid thier bill you and my daughter would be out of work and I'm sure you love what you do as much as she does. But when it runs into the millions as it does here sooner or later the free bubble will pop.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:25 PM

Our county tax supported hospitals do ask if they are illegal...and in 2006 their ER as their Doctors office cost the homeowners 85 million dollars and that was above anything they paid in cash or any kind of taxes...(we pay for our county hospitals thru a home owners hospital tax) It's not my job to paid the medical bills of someone that is illegally in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or