U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:49 AM

530 posts, read 1,893,876 times

Advertisements

I went to college in denver & do not remember illegal immigration being a problem. Is it really a problem now or is tancredo a nut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 03:31 AM

7,074 posts, read 16,027,545 times
We use to hear about "illegal immigration" a lot when we lived in So. Calif., but don't hear about it nearly as much here in the Denver metro area. HOWEVER, we do know that there are certain sections of the Denver metro area where Mexican people do live and the only language they will speak is Spanish. Have also noticed that any McDonald's restaurant we have gone into in the Denver metro area, you can hear Spanish being spoken by some employees......same thing goes for Taco Bell. Come to think about it, there has only been one McDonalds's that I have gone to where I have not heard Spanish being spoken......the McDonald's in Irvine, California (close to the John Wayne Airport). All of the employees that I could see were Americans! It was very odd to see that.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:33 AM

615 posts, read 2,724,922 times
It exists here and is a problem. Some industries (meat packing, agricultural, etc.) have bigger issues with it than others. It is not as big of a problem here as it is in many border states.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:26 PM

530 posts, read 1,893,876 times
I live in L.A. and its a third world country we have rich areas and poor Hispanic areas. I guess Tancredo is a nut then.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:39 PM

39 posts, read 183,938 times
I love Tancredo...he's one of the reasons I'm excited about our upcoming move to Denver.

I'm interested in more replies to this thread...bumping it up.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:06 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,530,345 times
Default The answer to your question is YES!

Actually, both are true. Tancredo is a nut but illegal immigration is a real problem. Tancredo is part of that problem because his prejudicial tirades turn off open-minded people to his message. Believe me, if we ever get action from Congress on illegal immigration, it will be despite Tancredo's best efforts to block progress and certainly not because of them.

To answer your question, yes, it is a real and significant problem and in fact much of the metro economy in both the city and the suburbs depends on illegal immigration.

That being said, the overwhelming majority of Hispanics in the Denver metro area are here legally, are law-abiding citizens, speak good to excellent English when necessary and are a credit to their respective communities. Many Hispanics are also very supportive of tightening our immigration policies, despite Tom Tancredo's best efforts to alienate them.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 PM

955 posts, read 3,262,810 times
I can speak from my client base which was child protection in a metro county - MANY MANY of our families were not able to get needed services due to immigration status (illegal) - we did not reprot them as that was not our job (keeping children and families safe was) but I can say there are HUGE HUGE numbers of folks in the metro area that fall into this status.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,096 times
Default Illegals in Denver

I have worked in the human services field in Denver for many years and can state for a fact that the numbers of illegal aliens has been and continues to be a problem here. Working at a local homeless shelter, I continually see many illegal aliens coming to the shelter doors nightly. The majority of these do not appear to be headed for the migrant fields, but rather, they come often under the influence of drugs or alcohol, are belligerant, and think that you "owe them something". The economic impact on the taxpayer is immense. Just take a trip down to the Denver Health Medical Center, and see the large munbers of aliens there for medical care. The waiting areas loook like "Little Mexico". Undocumented Men and Women entering the shelters are essentially competing for the jobs against homeless citizens who are being served by taxopayer dollars (federal grants etc,) There are even day labor businesses, one in particular, that cater only to undocumented Hispanic workers, while citizen workers are competing for the same jobs. In years past (20 years ago)the influx of border crossers has been steady, but less noticeable. Today...illegal immigrants are coming to Denver in droves. Denver is indeed a sanctuary city for these folks..providing them with basic needs,employment etc, via the homeless shelter industry. Thanks, brinius

Old 01-11-2008, 12:05 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,898,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinius View Post
The majority of these do not appear to be headed for the migrant fields, but rather, they come often under the influence of drugs or alcohol, are belligerant, and think that you "owe them something".
Are you certain these people are illegal aliens? Or, are you guessing? My experience has been illegal aliens don't want to draw too much attention to themselves. They bust their butts and don't want to take a chance of getting caught and sent back to wherever.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,423,991 times
I am a Denver native and American of Mexican decent, 4th generation native. “Colorado” is a Spanish word as half of the state was at one time Mexico. We have many illegals from all over the world here, not just Mexicans, but Russian and Ethiopian are significant in numbers as well in Denver alone. Mexicans are predominately focused on because they are right next door and all over the media but if you look Nordic or Asian, no questions are asked. Find yourself a fake ID and if you don’t look Hispanic, they you are set. There is a constant complaint about agricultural jobs being taken, what about High Tech from a less suspecting illegal? We had to let go of several individuals over the years in our IT department where I work due to falsification of applications, these were very high paying jobs that went to illegal’s without making it to FOX (Faux) News or Lou Dobb’s ranting and raving. Tom Tancredo is an idiot and of an older generation that has wrecked much of this country over they last several years. Unless you are Native American Indian, then at one time your ancestors were immigrants as well. It is a bigger issue today as our boarders are not secure and illegal means illegal. There is a process for coming to this country legally and it should be followed but we natives need to make sure that the Dobbs and Tancredos of the media and politics do not focus our complete attention on Mexicans or South Americans because they all look a certain way. Illegal immigration is happening on a much larger scale and it includes all races and nationalities. p.s. I have never heard Spanish at McDonald's, Taco Bell - yes, but not MicyD's and wow, those are some high paying jobs.

Denver does not have the crime waves from El Salvadorian gangs like MS-13 like Los Angeles does and we need to hope that this never does happen here. This is the worst type of gang possible, based on FBI and CIA reports, as these illegals have experience torture tactics first hand in their native countries. They had incorporated those tactics into their gang life style and do not care who is affected. No, they do not take high paying jobs, but rather lives. Plus, Al Qaeda has training camps in Uruguay and Paraguay, and can you tell the difference between an Arab and someone from Uruguay?

My point is that Denver has a minimal immigration problem compared to other cities and what is evident as a ‘problem’ is minor if all we talk about is low paying jobs and offering social services. Additionally, illegal immigration is not exclusive to Hispanics it is inclusive of all nationalities.

Last edited by DenverAztec; 01-11-2008 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or