Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the scenario, would you go?
Yes 22 41.51%
No 31 58.49%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:00 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
According to myriad posts on my home town Los Angeles thread, I am one of the least prosperous of all posters there, and, one would suppose, here. My online erudition quite belies my starving artist/freelancer income!

I look down on no one except deliberate lawbreakers who have not an iota of a concern in their brain except for their own selfish needs. Again amc670, where do you draw the line in the sand about breaking societal norms in the name of yourself or your family? Theft? Robbery? Fraud? Murder?

In Los Angeles, the mindset of illegals "getting away with a biggie" by their illegal entry quickly translates into the mindset of "getting away with whatever I can" on a daily basis. This is so wrongful to everyone already here, and so opposite the ethos of our country's legal immigrants and their legacies to our nation. Character does count.

And crystalblue, your statement would be dead wrong where I live. The taxpayers here shell out far more for illegals' services, services that we will never receive, because of our city's status as the new ground zero for illegals, all of whom know how to work the system. The illegals don't necessarily move here for employment or familial reunion, it's far more insidiously greedy.
i draw the line somewhere around home invasion and murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 07:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
a sociopath would be someone who does those crimes for the hell of it. with no remorse.

i dont compare someone crossing the border to apply for menial labor to someone threatening to kill someone for the money in the register.

Its easy to look down on people when your higher on the chain.
I wouldn't call illegal immigrants "sociopaths", either...the word, in layman's terms, means pretty much a 'person without a conscience', and that doesn't fit.

What illegals ARE, IMHO, are people from various places and societies in which the law means very little, is not fair, and the obedience of it has no "moral" aspect. The law in these places is just a 'game', and one is free to ignore it with no remorse, if the chance arises.

When these folks get HERE, they quickly figure out that we are working hard to demonstrate that OUR laws mean nothing, too...at least in the area of immigration. They see that WE are perfectly willing to 'look the other way' and 'bend the rules' in this area of our own law...and they are more than happy to HELP us 'bend them'. They see that WE don't enforce our immigration law, and to them, this is a pretty good indication that they have nothing to worry about. They want to WORK, not lose sleep over OUR laws not being enforced. That's OUR problem.

In many ways, it's like working for a large company, whose 'rules for employees' make clear the requirement for a "full 8-hour day", yet which continually lets employees 'slip out' after 6 hours. Does this mean that those who leave early are 'immoral' or 'dishonest'? Perhaps so....but it would hardly be surprising, if the employer allowed it, and everyone always got 'full pay". I'm sure MOST of us would see very clearly that MUCH of the blame fell on company management. Ditto for 'the blame' in illegal immigration....as long as it's 'tolerated', it will continue.....moral issues notwithstanding.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
To be blunt:

If I were a citizen of (insert poor country of your choice); I would give hard consideration to 'jumping the border' into Arizona, etc.

That said: if I get caught; woe to me----------the USA owes me nothing.

Translation: I am sick and tired of hearing a bunch of illegals acting as if we 'owe' them something.

You should be blunt more often, I would probaly agree with you more.

My main beef is with people painting this picture of immigrants as evil invaders trying to get their hands in your pocket.

I believe immigration laws should be upheld, yet made easier to become a legal citizen.
And I believe those who are here working should be entitled to very basic worker rights one receives for working in this country. At least very very basic health care...ie emergency room visits, child births. Its just the right thing to do..on a humanitarian level.

And that should only go to those who are working. I dont believe illegal immigrants should partake in welfare checks, section 8, or anything else like that. If theyre not here working, they have no business here. But if they are here to work and provide their family, they should have an easier way to becoming legal.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I wouldn't call illegal immigrants "sociopaths", either...the word, in layman's terms, means pretty much a 'person without a conscience', and that doesn't fit.

What illegals ARE, IMHO, are people from various places and societies in which the law means very little, is not fair, and the obedience of it has no "moral" aspect. The law in these places is just a 'game', and one is free to ignore it with no remorse, if the chance arises.

When these folks get HERE, they quickly figure out that we are working hard to demonstrate that OUR laws mean nothing, too...at least in the area of immigration. They see that WE are perfectly willing to 'look the other way' and 'bend the rules' in this area of our own law...and they are more than happy to HELP us 'bend them'. They see that WE don't enforce our immigration law, and to them, this is a pretty good indication that they have nothing to worry about. They want to WORK, not lose sleep over OUR laws not being enforced. That's OUR problem.
agreed. dont be angry at the hungry people for getting in the fridge if your leaving the door open.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
agreed. dont be angry at the hungry people for getting in the fridge if your leaving the door open.
The problem is that most Mexicans (the source of most of our illegals) are not starving these days-----in fact; according to our Mach50, they tend to be plump.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:30 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
Well put.

I hate it, but we did it to ourselves.

The question is...now what? Just continue like this?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
You should be blunt more often, I would probaly agree with you more.

My main beef is with people painting this picture of immigrants as evil invaders trying to get their hands in your pocket.

I believe immigration laws should be upheld, yet made easier to become a legal citizen.
And I believe those who are here working should be entitled to very basic worker rights one receives for working in this country. At least very very basic health care...ie emergency room visits, child births. Its just the right thing to do..on a humanitarian level.

And that should only go to those who are working. I dont believe illegal immigrants should partake in welfare checks, section 8, or anything else like that. If theyre not here working, they have no business here. But if they are here to work and provide their family, they should have an easier way to becoming legal.

Illegal aliens receive medical care under the EMTALA. Any 'emergency' must be evaluated. Any illegal alien in active labor must be admitted or transferred to another facility. Illegal aliens have been receiving 'free' medical care under this law for a very long time. I am surprised you did not know this.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,150 times
Would I swim..? Probably. Would I whine and demand my rights(?) as an illegal?No. I rolled the dice and lost. I'd have to pick my (butt) up and go home.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Would I swim..? Probably. Would I whine and demand my rights(?) as an illegal?No. I rolled the dice and lost. I'd have to pick my (butt) up and go home.
I agree 100%, John. Great post.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 PM

132 posts, read 244,778 times
To this Aussie outsider-looking-in, it appears that the political will is not there to police your borders.
Clearly, American employers just love that cheap labour for the menial jobs.
The Chinese could build The Great Wall a thousand years ago.
With all available modern equipment and technology, Yanks can't 'build a wall" today ?
They simply cannot be that inept
A whiff of corruption invades my Aussie nostrils from afar.

Pass a law.
Any employer must sight evidence of citizenship - or be jailed.
If they're paying cash-in-hand to illegals, you can bet they're ripping off the IRS as well.
Not too hard to enforce - particularly after you've locked up a few public figure high-flyers.

I know the situation is somewhat different but
Hell, we have about one fifteenth your population, about the same length of border and a couple of billion largely-disadvantaged Asians on our Northern doorstep.......
and we manage to control things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration