U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:12 AM

15,080 posts, read 19,718,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I didn't know that African-American was a race.
It isn't.

"White" isn't a race either. The peoples of Africa have more genetic variance than any of the peoples of Europe. The descendants of Africans here in the US have all sorts of different ethnicities in their ancestry. And an Icelander is genetically different than a Spaniard. I don't know why people get so hung up over skin color.

The only reliable way to differentiate peoples is by culture and language. Just as an example:

The Celts. The Celts spread throughout most of Western Europe at one time. There were tall Celts, short Celts, pale Celts, dark-skinned Celts, blonde Celts, red-headed Celts, and Celts with black hair. "Racially" there was no such thing as a Celt. But what they did share was a common culture and language.

Pick any ethnicity you want. Say Irish. Genetically the Irish are a mixture of Celts, Spaniards, Vikings, English, French, and various pre-historic peoples.

My own ancestry: Irish, Scottish, English, German, Polish, Jewish, African, Seminole, and Kwikutl. So what "race" am I? I'm a mutt. But culturally I am very much an American and that is the only classification with any accuracy.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
We cant "get away" from immigrants.. nor should we... but we NEED to "get away" from illegal immigrants for all the reasons stated 10,000 times over and over.
Absolutely. You are 100% correct.

There are good economic and social reasons for a strict immigration policy. It protects both natural-born citizens and the immigrants themselves. But to say that immigration is a threat to "white culture"...well, I'm afraid I sense a white robe and pointy hat hanging in someone's closet.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,573,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It isn't.

"White" isn't a race either. The peoples of Africa have more genetic variance than any of the peoples of Europe. The descendants of Africans here in the US have all sorts of different ethnicities in their ancestry. And an Icelander is genetically different than a Spaniard. I don't know why people get so hung up over skin color.

The only reliable way to differentiate peoples is by culture and language. Just as an example:

The Celts. The Celts spread throughout most of Western Europe at one time. There were tall Celts, short Celts, pale Celts, dark-skinned Celts, blonde Celts, red-headed Celts, and Celts with black hair. "Racially" there was no such thing as a Celt. But what they did share was a common culture and language.

Pick any ethnicity you want. Say Irish. Genetically the Irish are a mixture of Celts, Spaniards, Vikings, English, French, and various pre-historic peoples.

My own ancestry: Irish, Scottish, English, German, Polish, Jewish, African, Seminole, and Kwikutl. So what "race" am I? I'm a mutt. But culturally I am very much an American and that is the only classification with any accuracy.

I know it isn't and that is what I was saying to the poster who didn't want to be called "caucasian", as "white" is not a race either. Culture and language are ethnic traits, not racial classes.

I knew you were a mutt!!! You're very smart.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Cutest mutt

This is one of my babies.

Last edited by vpcats; 09-13-2007 at 01:20 PM..

Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 PM

26 posts, read 99,855 times
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907
So why do children and grandchildren and great grandchildren of (whatever nationality) ....keep saying African American, Irish American, Italian American, Cuban American? They are born here but still identify with the ancestors' heritage, which in many families lives on and on and on.
I think people like the differentiation. It's almost a "status" thing to say you're "X"-American. Kind of sets the tone.

I'm Cuban because I was born in Cuba. I am a naturalized American citizen. Mentally, however, I am a American who happens to be somewhat Cubanized because of where I live AND because of my ancestry. I also defend Cubans when I have to.

Am I "unamerican" because of that?

Old 01-05-2007, 01:35 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
I am half from irish immigrants and 1/2 from german immigrants, so what would that make me? An American with cool ancestry and history.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I am half from irish immigrants and 1/2 from german immigrants, so what would that make me? An American with cool ancestry and history.
And probably very good taste in beer.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Very funny!

Old 01-05-2007, 02:12 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Quote:
you betcha!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or