U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:49 PM

11 posts, read 35,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
So, let's let all the MILLIONS of $.10 per hour laborers from China just go anywhere they feel like working in the world to compete, including this country. Man, that sounds like a fantastic idea! The average Joe might be lucky enough to land a $.25/hr job in this country then. That is precisely the problem with what a lot of people consider globalization--which a more accurate term would be exploitation. All those high paying tech jobs would be gone, since tons of people from India would flood over and drive down wages. I could go on and on. This would create the ultimate divide between rich and poor. It sounds like a great plan...if you're a CEO...

Well, countries still have laws like minimum wage, etc. And my point is precisely - for better or worse we have already unleashed globalization, therefore migration of labor will follow whether we like it or not. Just like snow in January. Trying to impose tough goverment controls will drive it underground or worse. On the other hand if you legalize it - you can contol the wages, so according to your calculations average Joe would still be able to make $12-15/hr.
As for competition from Chinese and Indians in general - Westerners should be the last people to complain about competitive markets - we are the ones who imposed them on the rest of the world - essentially against the will of Chinese, Indians and the likes.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 PM

597 posts, read 1,786,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
Well, countries still have laws like minimum wage, etc. And my point is precisely - for better or worse we have already unleashed globalization, therefore migration of labor will follow whether we like it or not. Just like snow in January. Trying to impose tough goverment controls will drive it underground or worse. On the other hand if you legalize it - you can contol the wages, so according to your calculations average Joe would still be able to make $12-15/hr.
As for competition from Chinese and Indians in general - Westerners should be the last people to complain about competitive markets - we are the ones who imposed them on the rest of the world - essentially against the will of Chinese, Indians and the likes.
So, I'm assuming you're suggesting to legalize all workers that enter this country. I say this because we know how much many illegals get paid, which tends to be low and less than minimum wage. That is why people want to hire them. And I'm afraid if we allow it to continue this way, it will do just that, continue. Yes, you are accurate, we have unleashed globalization, but it doesn't mean that we can't have a tighter grip on people coming into this country. We can stop the flood and turn it to a managable trickle IMO and in a legal way. No need to fight immigration--if it's legal and good for us, cause that's all we want.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,536 times
I believe in uniting the US but as long as we have media and high profile people turning everything into a racial issue it will always be there. There are good people and bad people in this world and we all have to take resposibilty for the things we do or the things we allow our kids to do. I live in a city were the african americans have nice housing and are treated very well. I have seen racism from all races and this as i said before is fed through the media and high profile people. As for the children, you are right.I have worked at a center for children under a baker act order and most of this kids do not have parents around and if they do the parents just don't care.I myself work a night shift and my husband works day shift so that one of us can constantly be there to know what our children are doing. I know that as they get older you lose some control but you should have already installed the foundation of right and wrong. Now i know that being a single parent can be hard i've been there, along with several friends and you really have to make sacrifices but it can be done and still have control of your children. You can no longer use the excuse that opportunities are not there or because of the way your were raised.There are also alot of people that have come from very bad situations to make something of theirselves. I am so sick of that excuse. I am also tired of hearing it is the white person's fault. We have struggled and we came from horrible backgrounds too but we don't have excuses to hide behind. And as for speaking spanish, I was born and raised in the united states and proud of it. I should not have to speak another language to follow my dreams or get passed on for a job because i don't speak spanish.Immigrants came here for a reason because they did not like where they were at and then expect us to change. There are so many things wrong with today's society and if we cotinue to divide ourselves we will be in major trouble. the other thing wrong is "looking out for number one no matter who you step on in the process" What ever happen to compassion, manners, and the american way.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:26 AM

266 posts, read 1,082,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Absolutely. You are 100% correct.

There are good economic and social reasons for a strict immigration policy. It protects both natural-born citizens and the immigrants themselves. But to say that immigration is a threat to "white culture"...well, I'm afraid I sense a white robe and pointy hat hanging in someone's closet.
Wow, I love the way you put this... very succinct. It made me laugh my head off, yet at the same time, I got a little shiver of fear as I suspect there would be way too many "volunteers" here wanting to wear the costume you mention.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,148,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya_ View Post
I'm sick and tired of this country being given over to the illegals.... tired of everybody, including, and especially the government, catering to them and their their annoying language... tired of listening to piped in radio stations at the stores IN SPANISH!!! Makes me wonder what country I'm living in! Anyone know a place in the US where people speak English?
Ya go to VT It is safe for now anyway.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:15 PM

504 posts, read 1,619,457 times
Stay home, I grew up all over the United States, I heard Italian in Providence Rhode Island, Spanish in Key West Fl and Tampa in the 50's, Yiddish and Dutch in New York, French and German in Maine and some some sort of Southern in South Carolina and my mother spoke her native tongue of English, she just got off the boat.
Whats the big deal, still plenty of English speaking people around and more are learning all the time.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:52 PM

354 posts, read 762,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Ya go to VT It is safe for now anyway.
Don't go to Vermont if you have children and are in support of harsh penalties for sex offenders and child molesters.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:37 AM

989 posts, read 5,326,759 times
Vermont is a sick sick place. I hear Burlington, VT(largest city) allows public nudity.
We should ship all of the illegals to Vermont!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:11 PM

6,739 posts, read 8,543,097 times
They are everywhere, and it's only going to get worse. My whole town is being taken over by them. They drive around with their mexican flags waving on their trucks.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:22 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,965,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Vermont is a sick sick place. I hear Burlington, VT(largest city) allows public nudity.
We should ship all of the illegals to Vermont!!!
I guess those attitudes in Vermont go against illegals' ultra conservative morality. (One won't find too many Mexican illegals who are fans of abortion and gay marriage....)

So - what you'll have to look for if you want to get away from illegals are a declining economy, loss of population, and social liberalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or