U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:10 PM

4,270 posts, read 7,885,000 times

Advertisements

Also, apparently a lot of teachers feel like "Hey, if I wanted to snitch on my students to the immigration authorities, I would have become a border patrolman, not a teacher!"

E.G. The position is stated here http://web.archive.org/web/200601171...response8.html by a former teacher at Berendo Middle School in Los Angeles.

As stated: "And they wanted me as a school teacher to help deport my students out of the country? There was a reason why I became a teacher and not a border patrolman. It was going to be a cold day in hell before I turned one of my students over to immigration authorities. I had no problem with the Immigration and Naturalization Service doing their job and expelling people from the country who were here illegally, but the schools are not the place to do that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Well its like if you are homeless, they have to allow your kids in school.. just because you dont have an address is not a reason to not give your kids an education. Texas also follows the example of N.Y..

But yes I think they should report all factors of the schools population..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 02:11 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
You want to retroactive the Constitution of the United States so you can send babies born to illegals back? I would prefer to retroactive Freedom of Speech with some people.
There is nothing in the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution that says any illegal born here is an American citizen..The fourteenth Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution was written and passed to ensure that freed slaves and their childern were given full citizenship...It was proposed June13, 1866 and ratified July 9. 1868...Funny those dates are right after the civil war...sort of speaks for it's self....

Old 01-06-2007, 02:14 PM

431 posts, read 292,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
No. We already require teachers to be social workers. Now they would have to be ICE agents as well.

Plus, how would they tell? What happens when they're wrong (and they will be)?

Yes, teachers should have the authority to report any illegal student in a public school classroom in the United States.

How would they tell?? Hmmm, I remember that I had to have my certified birth certificate, all of my shot records, previous school records from other schools I had attended, including report cards, my parents had to take me to school and enroll me, which meant READING the school forms and SIGNING them. I think it would quite easily to tell is someone might be illegal.

Of course, there are people that are just plain stupid and like to pretend that illegals are okay and make excuse after excuse for them and their actions. And the stupid will always be among us......

Old 01-06-2007, 02:28 PM

Default The cost of education....

Judicial Watch just reported that educating children of illegal aliens is costing the U.S. taxpayers $28.6 BILLION per year. In my state of CA, it's $9 BILLION.

Imagine what that money would do for LEGAL students!

Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 PM

79 posts, read 256,548 times
Default sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
Judicial Watch just reported that educating children of illegal aliens is costing the U.S. taxpayers $28.6 BILLION per year. In my state of CA, it's $9 BILLION.

well, that is why our taxes are so high. we are paying out of our own pockets for this. wow, glad i am not in california, but new york is bad enough for me. ugh. and maybe if the welfare system for legal american citizens did not pay ghetto mothers to have more babies and not work, then they would have to get jobs and not breed so much either. then there would no longer be the argument that illegals are doing jobs americans don't want to do. which is a faulty argument anyway.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:27 PM

33 posts, read 65,303 times
Default Now you want us to report illegals?!

Quote:

Yes imagine!
I am an elementary school teacher, and believe me, those students who want to learn and can speak English would have a far better success rate just for the fact that they would no longer be held back for those who struggle with the language. Most of the money that goes out for the schools is for the under privilaged, language deficient. We cater to those students at the expense of those who are not underprivilaged. I would not mind so much if they were the minority, but they are the majority in many schools in CA.

A teachers job should not be taxed on further than it already is, by requiring him/her to report illegal immigrants! You who expect this have never stepped foot into a classroom now adays, to see for your self. Parents, if you are concerned, take a few hours of your day and volunteer!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:37 PM

4,270 posts, read 7,885,000 times
Lannie...

Many school districts forbid the denial of education due to immigration status - I.E. New York City

So, how is the teacher going to get authority when the school district says no?

Quote:
Yes, teachers should have the authority to report any illegal student in a public school classroom in the United States.

How would they tell?? Hmmm, I remember that I had to have my certified birth certificate, all of my shot records, previous school records from other schools I had attended, including report cards, my parents had to take me to school and enroll me, which meant READING the school forms and SIGNING them. I think it would quite easily to tell is someone might be illegal.

Of course, there are people that are just plain stupid and like to pretend that illegals are okay and make excuse after excuse for them and their actions. And the stupid will always be among us......

Old 01-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Lannie...

Many school districts forbid the denial of education due to immigration status - I.E. New York City

So, how is the teacher going to get authority when the school district says no?
Vicman,

I realize that rules/regulations vary from state to state. The original question was asking if it should be something teachers are allowed to do ~ report illegal students. Actually, it should be the school administration - not teachers. And I answered yes, I think schools should be able to report illegal students. Are there misguided states making misguided rules regarding public schools? Yes.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:30 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,040,936 times
Quote:

Our oldest grand daughter just came to live with us, it took us 3 days to get her enrolled in school. She had all necessary papers it takes to get a kid enrolled with her, the school said she could not start classes until they got additional information from her previous school. And my wife is a teacher at the high school where our grand daughter tried to enroll. They know who is legal and who is not, I went off the deep end on these people.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:29 PM

33 posts, read 65,303 times
Default Who will pay???

Quote:
Vicman,

I realize that rules/regulations vary from state to state. The original question was asking if it should be something teachers are allowed to do ~ report illegal students. Actually, it should be the school administration - not teachers. And I answered yes, I think schools should be able to report illegal students. Are there misguided states making misguided rules regarding public schools? Yes.
I think the original question was if schools are to be expected to report illegals. I think that if the schools were not so concerned with $$$ they get for each student, and especially for those who are underprivilaged and language deficient, because they get more $$$ for those students, they might be more willing to make reports of this kind. Since these students are actually bringing in more $$$ from our government's special funding, they are hard pressed to cater to this population.

"No child left behind" actually means no illegal immigrant, handicapped, learning disabled...child left behind. Just as "reverse racism" (racism towards "whites") is not acknowledged in our society, the students who are at or above grade level (even those of "color") are often dragged down by the majority of very low learners from illiterate families who demand a huge percentage of the teachers time and energy. This is in part because of the inclusion act. We can not segregate these children from the rest. Low learning students are pushed along with the best. They are allowed to be held back only one time, if they are not much bigger or older than the rest of the kids. The government will not pay for that child to stay behind, even if he or she is not performing at the level necessary for the next grade level. That is our school system for you. Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or