U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:13 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Our oldest grand daughter just came to live with us, it took us 3 days to get her enrolled in school. She had all necessary papers it takes to get a kid enrolled with her, the school said she could not start classes until they got additional information from her previous school. And my wife is a teacher at the high school where our grand daughter tried to enroll. They know who is legal and who is not, I went off the deep end on these people.
We had the same thing!!! They couldnt go to the new school when we moved out of state until they had mre info from the old school. WTF!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 11:34 AM

332 posts, read 338,496 times
Last year at my school on Cinco De Mayo, a group of hispanics (some illegal and some legal) walked around with signs and flags saying things like BROWN POWER and other stuff, and the security guards, teachers, princiapls, etc. never said a thing to these kids!

Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 AM

33 posts, read 65,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Last year at my school on Cinco De Mayo, a group of hispanics (some illegal and some legal) walked around with signs and flags saying things like BROWN POWER and other stuff, and the security guards, teachers, princiapls, etc. never said a thing to these kids!
I know there are some legal hispanics who are opposed to things like this. Why don't they come out in the open and respond to our concerns?

Old 01-07-2007, 02:10 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
We had the same thing!!! They couldnt go to the new school when we moved out of state until they had mre info from the old school. WTF!!!
It's the stupid school board that sets these rules here where we live. My wife spends a big part of her day trying to teach high school kids that can't or won't speak english, these kids have no problem getting enrolled in school...,go figure.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:11 PM

146 posts, read 530,111 times
Thumbs down HISD is the Leader of Rationalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
It's the stupid school board that sets these rules here where we live. My wife spends a big part of her day trying to teach high school kids that can't or won't speak english, these kids have no problem getting enrolled in school...,go figure.
The Houston ISD school I teach at got a new principal, (born in Mexico), this year, who has decided that all Special Education students will be removed from regular education classes.

She has also decided that all students "who will have trouble passing" the state mandated TAKS test be removed from those classes as well.

Teachers have been told to teach 'test prep' for the next four months (before the TAKS test is administered) rather than the district curriculum. How this passes mustard is beyond me. Our school has seen brain-drain, the resignation of highly-qualified teachers who will not jeopardize their state teaching licenses, because of the unethical machinations happening on this campus. Does HISD care...no, they do not.

In the end, the kids suffer. There is no meaningful education, just a rationalization of failure. SpeakingEnglish is an option and academic excellence is simply not possible in a culture of all-that-is-American-sucks. What can be done to stop this horror show?

Old 01-07-2007, 06:38 PM

483 posts, read 1,746,820 times
Where I live, school districts couldn't care less where the kids (or their parents) were born, as long as they can prove they live in the district.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:03 PM

332 posts, read 338,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
The Houston ISD school I teach at got a new principal, (born in Mexico), this year, who has decided that all Special Education students will be removed from regular education classes.

She has also decided that all students "who will have trouble passing" the state mandated TAKS test be removed from those classes as well.

Teachers have been told to teach 'test prep' for the next four months (before the TAKS test is administered) rather than the district curriculum. How this passes mustard is beyond me. Our school has seen brain-drain, the resignation of highly-qualified teachers who will not jeopardize their state teaching licenses, because of the unethical machinations happening on this campus. Does HISD care...no, they do not.

In the end, the kids suffer. There is no meaningful education, just a rationalization of failure. SpeakingEnglish is an option and academic excellence is simply not possible in a culture of all-that-is-American-sucks. What can be done to stop this horror show?

You know that same thing happened to us last year, it was like 3 weeks before the Language Arts parts of the test, and the cramed us like crazy!

We were writing essays and short answers every single day! I mean it's ok to get us prepared for the TAKS but to cram it into us like that, it really dosen't help because more people failed last year than the year before on that portion of the TAKS.

What makes me even more pissed off is that if we failed any part of the TAKS test last year we aren't allowed to go off campus this year (I'm a Junior this year) and there pretty much "FORCING" us to pass even though were suppose to, I mean my school has gotten so strict, many teachers are leaving after this year.

Also they took away our other Foreign Language classes so now we only have Spanish and she is so stupid, alot of the spanish-speaking kids in my class have to correct her because she dosen't know what she is saying and also if one of her kids already know spanish she lets them grade papers and run arrands while the rest of the class has to do work, I just feel it is unfair and I think that the spanish-speaking students should "HAVE" to take another foreign language class.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:42 PM

4,272 posts, read 7,887,141 times
In my opinion, the only people who need long term "test prep" for state minimum skills standardized tests are the academically weak.

Do you teach at Revere? I looked at what happened to it when West Briar opened... there went the middle class!

English teacher, let me find you a good resource about low-performing inner city schools. This guy named Richard Geib wrote about his teaching experience at Los Angeles' Berendo Middle School - http://web.archive.org/web/200605150.../innerblu.html

I heard from a bunch of people that Revere is not a good school...

Those in Walnut Bend/Briargrove Park may send their kids to West Briar, though...

Quote:

Last edited by Vicman; 01-07-2007 at 09:02 PM..

Old 01-07-2007, 09:10 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
Quote:

We have the same problem here with teachers, they don't hang around long. The Middle School and High School has a hard time keeping good teachers, new teachers in these schools every year. My wife just started teaching at the high school this year, and she is about ready to hang it up there after this year.

She was a Special Ed. teacher for 6 yrs. and a Principal in Florida, she's worked in the school system for 16 yrs. now and said this is the worse system she has ever saw. We live in a small county with population of only 38,000 and only have 1 High School and the population is 91% white, LOL.

Teachers have to spend so much time with the hispanic students, they just can't give the attention needed to the other students.... it's a mess. So they are not really doing any of the students very much good. As you said...in the end the kids suffer.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:24 AM

7,022 posts, read 5,773,713 times
Absolutely. Illegal aliens are not paying taxes to support the school, therefore their illegal alien kids should not be getting a free ride in our schools or hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or