U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:08 AM

354 posts, read 761,894 times

Advertisements

No where is the phrase "citizen" mentioned in describing equal educational opportunities because the law states that any resident, legal or not, should have the opportunity to receive an education.

§ 1703. Denial of equal educational opportunity prohibited

No State shall deny equal educational opportunity to an individual on account of his or her race, color, sex, or national origin, by -

* (a) the deliberate segregation by an educational agency of students on the basis of race, color, or national origin among or within schools;

* (b) the failure of an educational agency which has formerly practiced such deliberate segregation to take affirmative steps, consistent with part 4 of this subchapter, to remove the vestiges of a dual school system;

* (c) the assignment by an educational agency of a student to a school, other than the one closest to his or her place of residence within the school district in which he or she resides, if the assignment results in a greater degree of segregation of students on the basis of race, color, sex, or national origin among the schools of such agency than would result if such student were assigned to the school closest to his or her place of residence within the school district of such agency providing the appropriate grade level and type of education for such student;

* (d) discrimination by an educational agency on the basis of race, color, or national origin in the employment, employment conditions, or assignment to schools of its faculty or staff, except to fulfill the purposes of subsection (f) below;

* (e) the transfer by an educational agency, whether voluntary or otherwise, of a student from one school to another if the purpose and effect of such transfer is to increase segregation of students on the basis of race, color, or national origin among the schools of such agency; or

* (f) the failure by an educational agency to take appropriate action to overcome language barriers that impede equal participation by its students in its instructional programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 06:30 PM

340 posts, read 669,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
No where is the phrase "citizen" mentioned in describing equal educational opportunities because the law states that any resident, legal or not, should have the opportunity to receive an education.

§ 1703. Denial of equal educational opportunity prohibited

No State shall deny equal educational opportunity to an individual on account of his or her race, color, sex, or national origin, by -

* (a) the deliberate segregation by an educational agency of students on the basis of race, color, or national origin among or within schools;

* (b) the failure of an educational agency which has formerly practiced such deliberate segregation to take affirmative steps, consistent with part 4 of this subchapter, to remove the vestiges of a dual school system;

* (c) the assignment by an educational agency of a student to a school, other than the one closest to his or her place of residence within the school district in which he or she resides, if the assignment results in a greater degree of segregation of students on the basis of race, color, sex, or national origin among the schools of such agency than would result if such student were assigned to the school closest to his or her place of residence within the school district of such agency providing the appropriate grade level and type of education for such student;

* (d) discrimination by an educational agency on the basis of race, color, or national origin in the employment, employment conditions, or assignment to schools of its faculty or staff, except to fulfill the purposes of subsection (f) below;

* (e) the transfer by an educational agency, whether voluntary or otherwise, of a student from one school to another if the purpose and effect of such transfer is to increase segregation of students on the basis of race, color, or national origin among the schools of such agency; or

* (f) the failure by an educational agency to take appropriate action to overcome language barriers that impede equal participation by its students in its instructional programs.

However,

No where is the phrase "Illegal Alien", Illegal Migrant", or "Undocumented Worker" mentioned in there either. I would believe National Origin is just that, National Origin, like Russia, Japan, China, Mexico, etc, but not here Illegaly.. It does sound like a future court case though...

Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 PM

It doesn't need to specify according to legal status because school districts are required by law to educate any student that resides within their jurisdiction. No student in the United States has to prove their citizenship in order to attend any public school, only that they are a resident of said school district. And all of the paperwork required to register students is only to prove residency, like electric and water bills, mortgage or rent checks.

It's almost pointless to fight this educational aspect because it's been defended and upheld time after time in the various state and national courts.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:25 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
JEFFERSON CITY, MO — The House voted to effectively ban illegal immigrants from the state’s colleges and universities and require institutions to guarantee to lawmakers that they have “not knowingly admitted” anyone in the country illegally.

The measure, endorsed by 122-35 vote Wednesday, would codify existing federal requirements. Universities that cannot certify that illegal immigrants are not enrolled could face financial penalties.

Rep. Bryan Stevenson said educating those who have illegally entered the country is essentially giving funding to break the law

Works for me, every state should do this.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 AM

Here are two reasons why that bill is largely insignificant at the national level:

1) It's only banning illegal immigrant students from attending public universities and colleges in the state of Missouri (pop. 5.6 million), and not k-12 students.

2) There are only 25 public universities and colleges in Missouri-- 12 of which only grant associates degrees. Of the 13 four-year and professional schools, only one is ranked in US News & World Report's top 100 (UM-Columbia at 88). Missouri's second highest ranked university is UM-Rolla at 112.

I could understand if, for instance, the University of California system passed such a bill that anyone worthwhile might care. Because, after all, the UC system has 7 of its 10 campuses ranked in the top 100 and California arguably has the highest population of illegal immigrants. Unfortunately, it was Missouri's university system and it is a bill that will either be overturned or altogether overlooked.

I rest my case.

Last edited by Amavel; 03-02-2007 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: add-on

Old 03-02-2007, 07:06 AM

424 posts, read 1,107,375 times
As a former High School Registrar from TX, I can assure you that no one within any given District, in the United States, can refuse a child an education. This is due to the, "No Child Left behind Act". All children who come, with or without previous school records MUST be enrolled. It’s true they must show prove of residence; have current shot records and have a birth certificate. When it's known that school records are obtainable, then a student must wait until those documents are received. In the case of the illegal, having to get records from Mexico, in particular is very difficult. If the student didn't have them when he came in to enroll, we rarely tried to get them, as it would take too long and the student must be enrolled within a reasonable time frame. It is extremely hard to work with students who don't have any previous grades, testing/placement information, etc., especially at the High School level. Schools are NOT allowed to ask if a student or parent is illegal. Teachers are not aware after enrollment if the student is or is not. They could ask the student, but why would they, since they can’t do anything about it? Frankly, until the situation of illegal immigration is resolved, these students will continue to come. Some folks at the school I worked for thought having them in school was better than them roving the street looking for something to do. It's a broken system that will need addressing sooner than not ... Just don't know when that will be.

Quick side note: Lived in AZ, (8 years ago), 45 minutes from the Mexico boarder. We had Boarder Patrol walking our dry arroyo every day looking for illegals. When I asked one of them if he got sick of seeing the same folks over and over again, he said, "Heck no. We send them back after a shower and hot meal, and expect to see them again within 10 days or so. It's our job security". I found that disturbing.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:50 AM

340 posts, read 669,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
As a former High School Registrar from TX, I can assure you that no one within any given District, in the United States, can refuse a child an education. This is due to the, "No Child Left behind Act". All children who come, with or without previous school records MUST be enrolled. It’s true they must show prove of residence; have current shot records and have a birth certificate. When it's known that school records are obtainable, then a student must wait until those documents are received. In the case of the illegal, having to get records from Mexico, in particular is very difficult. If the student didn't have them when he came in to enroll, we rarely tried to get them, as it would take too long and the student must be enrolled within a reasonable time frame. It is extremely hard to work with students who don't have any previous grades, testing/placement information, etc., especially at the High School level. Schools are NOT allowed to ask if a student or parent is illegal. Teachers are not aware after enrollment if the student is or is not. They could ask the student, but why would they, since they can’t do anything about it? Frankly, until the situation of illegal immigration is resolved, these students will continue to come. Some folks at the school I worked for thought having them in school was better than them roving the street looking for something to do. It's a broken system that will need addressing sooner than not ... Just don't know when that will be.

Quick side note: Lived in AZ, (8 years ago), 45 minutes from the Mexico boarder. We had Boarder Patrol walking our dry arroyo every day looking for illegals. When I asked one of them if he got sick of seeing the same folks over and over again, he said, "Heck no. We send them back after a shower and hot meal, and expect to see them again within 10 days or so. It's our job security". I found that disturbing.
Good post lolligrump, thanks for helping to clarify the situation, and you are right, it is very disturbing...

Old 03-02-2007, 07:50 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yes, why not? But I bet a lot of them are "anchor babies" and therefore "legal".
That really gets to me! I see it everyday when I take my son to school! One woman has five kids, they just keep having more! I say enough is enough. Send the illegals back to their countries with their anchor babies, stop taking away from legal US citizens.
Or how about this idea? Make them have only one child! China requires citizens to stop having children if they have a girl! We are quickly becoming The United Illegal States of Amexico! Canada is smart, they do not allow just anyone to become a citizen!

Old 03-02-2007, 10:26 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
That really gets to me! I see it everyday when I take my son to school! One woman has five kids, they just keep having more! I say enough is enough. Send the illegals back to their countries with their anchor babies, stop taking away from legal US citizens.
Or how about this idea? Make them have only one child! China requires citizens to stop having children if they have a girl! We are quickly becoming The United Illegal States of Amexico! Canada is smart, they do not allow just anyone to become a citizen!

I think we are the only country that doesn't enforce our immigration laws. I read somewhere awhile back that mexicans don't believe in birth control, it's not discussed in the family.

“I Love America”

I come for visit, get treated regal,
So I stay, who care I illegal?

I cross border, poor and broke,
Take bus, see employment folk.

Nice man treat me good in there,
Say I need to see welfare.

Welfare say, “You come no more,
We send cash right to your door.”

Welfare checks, they make you wealthy.
Medicaid it keep you healthy!

By and by, I got plenty money,
Thanks to you, American dummy.

Write to friends in motherland,
Tell them come as fast as you can.

They come in rags and Chebby trucks,
I buy big house with welfare bucks.

They come here, we live together,
More welfare checks, it gets better!

Fourteen families they moving in,
But neighbor’s patience wearing thin.

Finally, white guy moves away,
Now I buy his house, and then I say,

“Find more aliens for house to rent.”
And in the yard I put a tent.

Send for family (they just trash),
But they, too, draw the welfare cash!

Everything is mucho good,
And soon we own the neighborhood.

We have hobby-it’s called breeding,
Welfare pay for baby feeding.

Kids need dentist? Wife need pills?
We get free! We got no bills!

American crazy! He pay all year
To keep welfare running here.

We think America darn good place!
Too darn good for the white man race.

If they no like us, they can go,
Got lots of room in Mexico.

“I Love America”

Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
I think we are the only country that doesn't enforce our immigration laws. I read somewhere awhile back that mexicans don't believe in birth control, it's not discussed in the family.
And where did you read this bit of nonsense? It's not that Mexicans don't believe in birth control, it's that the whole of Catholics in this world do not employ nor support birth control as the Pope has repeatedly denounced its development (thanks again, Vatican). And, because Catholicism is the largest Christian sub-sect in Latin America, a good number of Mexicans and other nationals subscribe to said belief system's outrageous practices.

Don't believe everything you hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or