U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2008, 01:14 AM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
How about that a disproportionate number of the lower class Latinos are illegal?

I would have the same disgust and contempt towards the lower class illegal immigrants if they were of Irish, Nigerian, Russian------hell, of any race/ethnicity.

And; the so-called 'upper class' illegals (of which there are few) would also earn my enmity.
Let them eat cake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2008, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Let them eat cake!
Bottom line:

Us Americans; like any other sovereign nation, have the right to control our borders and decide who we allow in or not-------if other nations do not like it; tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Let them eat cake!
No, let them organize and demand change within their countries of origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2008, 10:05 AM
 
1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No, let them organize and demand change within their countries of origin.
It's not like Mexico is not a rich country - it is. Their government justs wants US to take care of their lower-income people so they don't have to - we give them jobs, healthcare, schooling, welfare, WIC, food stamps, etc.

So, their own government is responsible for them - not OUR government, which is us, the taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 AM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It's not like Mexico is not a rich country - it is. Their government justs wants US to take care of their lower-income people so they don't have to - we give them jobs, healthcare, schooling, welfare, WIC, food stamps, etc.

So, their own government is responsible for them - not OUR government, which is us, the taxpayers.
I wouldn't say Mexico is a rich country..the wealth is distributed very evenly at all. Its only recently that the middle class has grown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Reputation: 22514
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I wouldn't say Mexico is a rich country..the wealth is distributed very evenly at all. Its only recently that the middle class has grown.
Whether or not you would say Mexico is a rich country is besides the point - the fact remains that it is. How the wealth is distributed doesn't indicate the wealth of the nation as a whole. The nation as a whole is overfed - not exactly starving considering the rate of obesity SOB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2008, 04:15 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Whether or not you would say Mexico is a rich country is besides the point - the fact remains that it is. How the wealth is distributed doesn't indicate the wealth of the nation as a whole. The nation as a whole is overfed - not exactly starving considering the rate of obesity SOB.
I dont consider a country where 20 percent of its people hold 55 percent of the wealth to be rich.
A man can be making 1,000,000 bucks a day, but if his house is still shabby and his kids can't afford shoes, would you call it a rich household?


Mexico has areas where malnutrition affects a high number of the people.

Tell me where in America or Canada that is true?


Mexico has come a long way, but its not paradise. Theres lots of people who can't even afford staples like tortillas right now due to rsing food prices.

Im wondering how you know what youre talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2008, 04:26 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I dont consider a country where 20 percent of its people hold 55 percent of the wealth to be rich.
A man can be making 1,000,000 bucks a day, but if his house is still shabby and his kids can't afford shoes, would you call it a rich household?


Mexico has areas where malnutrition affects a high number of the people.

Tell me where in America or Canada that is true?


Mexico has come a long way, but its not paradise. Theres lots of people who can't even afford staples like tortillas right now due to rsing food prices.

Im wondering how you know what youre talking about.
Excuse me if I misread (or am thinking of another poster) but don't you have ties to Mexico? I am surprised that Mexican Americans don't try to reform Mexico by supporting politicians that are for change or legal reform, similiar to what Americans of Irish descent have done for decades in relation to Northern Ireland (well, without the terrorist ties)
In other words, instead of defending a wave of people that are overtaxing the already overburden US, why not do what you can to help change what is wrong with Mexico? I'm afraid that something illegal immigration proponets cannot grasp is that the well is dry, the US is broke, we are in debt to China. We no longer have the resources to welcome everyone and their brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2008, 04:36 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Reputation: 22514
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I dont consider a country where 20 percent of its people hold 55 percent of the wealth to be rich.
A man can be making 1,000,000 bucks a day, but if his house is still shabby and his kids can't afford shoes, would you call it a rich household?


Mexico has areas where malnutrition affects a high number of the people.

Tell me where in America or Canada that is true?


Mexico has come a long way, but its not paradise. Theres lots of people who can't even afford staples like tortillas right now due to rsing food prices.

Im wondering how you know what youre talking about.
I do, because I do not confuse my subjective perspective and "what if" scenarios with actual facts at hand. You should try it sometime.
Like the imaginary scenario you posed, and asking me if I would call it a rich household. What I would call it is neither here nor there, as is your argument.

The wealth of a nation is not determined by how many people can buy shoes and tortillas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I do, because I do not confuse my subjective perspective and "what if" scenarios with actual facts at hand. You should try it sometime.
Like the imaginary scenario you posed, and asking me if I would call it a rich household. What I would call it is neither here nor there, as is your argument.

The wealth of a nation is not determined by how many people can buy shoes and tortillas.
Its called a metaphor.


I determine the wealth of a nation by the well being of its people, not by how much business its done. If a country's second largest income comes from illegal workers in the US, I don't consider it to be very rich.

And yes it matters how many people can buy shoes and tortillas. It matters a lot.

Venezuela sells a lot of oil, would you consider it rich? Chinas economy is blowing past America's, but growing middle-class notwithstanding, would you consider the people of China to be well off?

Lots of people in Mexico ARE starving, mainly in the southern states FROM WHICH most of said illegal immigrants are coming.

People ARE starving there, and thats a fact, not "subjective perspective".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top