Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:36 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Special Order 40 is a joke and a failure. It hasn't aided officers in L.A. in the least. If you think it's a good thing, then you obviously don't know anybody working for L.A.P.D.--I do. I've been told it's a huge hinderance and prevents involving ICE in instances where violent criminals would otherwise be deported.
I dont understand.

LAPD has quite a bit on its table, so now it should be worrying about naturalization?

I think even illegals should be able to report crimes or testify as witnesses without worrying about getting deported after the cops get the info they want.
If you get robbed in front of a bunch of witnesses who happen to be illegal, theyre not going to stick around and be a witness because they know that means they have to get deported for helping you.

I think there needs to be seperation, because different agencies have very different purposes. Border Patrol, INS(i dont know what they call it now, have the purpose of keeping out illegals, and sending them back home when they find them. Police are here for safety and well being of citizens and vistors alike.

They just need to do a better job of getting the criminals deported. Ive heard a lot about criminals who happen to be illegal being released from jail back to the streets. Those people should be deported immediately following their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I dont understand.

LAPD has quite a bit on its table, so now it should be worrying about naturalization?

I think even illegals should be able to report crimes or testify as witnesses without worrying about getting deported after the cops get the info they want.
If you get robbed in front of a bunch of witnesses who happen to be illegal, theyre not going to stick around and be a witness because they know that means they have to get deported for helping you.

I think there needs to be seperation, because different agencies have very different purposes. Border Patrol, INS(i dont know what they call it now, have the purpose of keeping out illegals, and sending them back home when they find them. Police are here for safety and well being of citizens and vistors alike.

They just need to do a better job of getting the criminals deported. Ive heard a lot about criminals who happen to be illegal being released from jail back to the streets. Those people should be deported immediately following their time.
LAPD should not be burdened with 'naturalization'. But it DOES have an extensive computer data base of known violent gang-bangers. It has their 'stats', it knows who they are, where they live, and even has photos of their tattoos. And it knows that EVERY ONE of these guys is living in the US illegally. Yet it WILL not cooperate in ANY effort to 'get rid' of these people...with or without the complicity of ICE.

Defend Special Order 40, if you want, when it comes to 'not intimidating' hard-working illegals, and not making them 'afraid' to call the police. But I don't see how anyone can defend using Special Order 40 to shelter these violent thugs. That's a whole different subject.

Apparently LAPD Chief Bratton agrees with me, because he has NEVER addressed the issue in any interview. If you listen, he invariably either changes the subject, or simply raises his voice and becomes angry. But he'll NEVER speak of why Special Order 40 should be interpreted as "hands off the violent gang-bangers". I don't blame him. I couldn't explain it, either.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
LAPD should not be burdened with 'naturalization'. But it DOES have an extensive computer data base of known violent gang-bangers. It has their 'stats', it knows who they are, where they live, and even has photos of their tattoos. And it knows that EVERY ONE of these guys is living in the US illegally. Yet it WILL not cooperate in ANY effort to 'get rid' of these people...with or without the complicity of ICE.

Defend Special Order 40, if you want, when it comes to 'not intimidating' hard-working illegals, and not making them 'afraid' to call the police. But I don't see how anyone can defend using Special Order 40 to shelter these violent thugs. That's a whole different subject.

Apparently LAPD Chief Bratton agrees with me, because he has NEVER addressed the issue in any interview. If you listen, he invariably either changes the subject, or simply raises his voice and becomes angry. But he'll NEVER speak of why Special Order 40 should be interpreted as "hands off the violent gang-bangers". I don't blame him. I couldn't explain it, either.
If LAPD has a database on gangmembers who are illegal, then yeah, that should be turned over to ICE. It doesnt make sense not to do that.

But I remember watching this documentary or something, and this woman was talking about how the police would call immigration asking if they should turn in a witness to a crime who had stepped forward. Police need to stay concerned with the city, and encourage anyone to come forward to report crimes.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I dont understand.

Most of the violent illegals released back into society are never asked about their status, due to Special Order 40 constraints--just ask Jamiel Shaw's killer.

In the Utopian world you seem to believe L.A. to be--illegals have all of the rights and American citizens have none. As a victim of a racially motivated beating at the hands of a mob of illegal aliens in L.A., I've seen it first hand. The few who are even prosecuted (and many never are--such as those brave souls that felt my blondness required a beatdown) are rarely questioned about their legal status and when they are released back into an unsuspecting society at large, they simply resume right where they left off.

I'm sure that none of these folks ever expected that the U.S. government's failure to control our borders and the greed for cheap labor would mean the end of their lives.

Immigrations Human Cost

Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times
As a longtime resident of Los Angeles, I have little sypmpathy for L.A. Police Chief Bratton because he has absolutely none for me. He has been quoted as saying "If the people of Los Angeles don't like Special Order 40, they can leave." citation:lawatchdog

Because of Special Order 40, the unlicensed driver illegal that totalled my car head on and smashed it into a third party by running a red light through the wrong lane of an intersection in a left turn while speeding (!) is still at large to do this as many times as he wishes. The police at the scene were not allowed to inquire of his ICE status, despite his giving all false information (and unilaterally suspicious info too, I might add, such as all Beverly Hills addresses for a non-English speaker in a junker car.) Of course he couldn't be located by police officials later for further investigation. (He wasn't apprehended at the scene: all Los Angeles laws favor illegals.) Perhaps some day he'll smash into one of you in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration