U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:43 PM

259 posts, read 719,573 times

Advertisements

You know whats really irritating. Americans in Europe trying to talk English with the natives. Hello..learn the language. It is soooooo irritating. When my husband and I was stationed in Germany many Americans thought the Germans should speak English. After all, the Americans had occupied the country for more then 50 some years. Now reading some of this threads thats kind of funny. It always goes to ways, remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 PM

335 posts, read 931,404 times
Yes it does. Well stated. It was like this in Japan as well when I was stationed there. When my ex useto make fun of the accent when they did attempt to speak too us in English, (Disgusting).
This is something I have always plugged when "talk" starts on "Speaking English" I feel whether or not you are a resident of this country or temp stationed there due to the military or work it is not expected that everybody bow down to you and speak English. And nothing is ever mentioned. Why? I think it is hypocritical.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
I was stationed in Germany twice. No American with any sense would think all Germans should be able to understand and speak English. But the fact of the matters is, you are more likely to encounter a English speaking German, than a English speaking Latino in many parts of Los Angeles, and El Paso.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD70 View Post
Yes it does. Well stated. It was like this in Japan as well when I was stationed there. When my ex useto make fun of the accent when they did attempt to speak too us in English, (Disgusting).
This is something I have always plugged when "talk" starts on "Speaking English" I feel whether or not you are a resident of this country or temp stationed there due to the military or work it is not expected that everybody bow down to you and speak English. And nothing is ever mentioned. Why? I think it is hypocritical.
I have mentioned it, and so have many others.

But let me recap it for you

If I moved to another country for any length of time with the purpose of setting up residency and working **I would learn the language** or at least to the best of my ability. I wouldn't demand that my new country print signs in English, print government forms in English, or in anyway accomadate my inability/point blank refusal to assimiliate to their country.
Furthermore, if I went to a another country to vacation **I would learn enough of that language to get by, as well as have an aid i.e. English to whatever dictionary with me**

Sorry to burst your and the OPs bubble ----- people who are anti illegal immigration and are pissed that Spanish is becoming the de facto language in some states are not ignorant, xenophobic, illiterate, racist hillbillies fresh out of the trailer park. Some of us are actually (gasp!) not hypocritical at all

Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Did millions of “illegal” Americans invade Germany and “demand” the Germans speak English? Did these Americans also depress the wages of the Germans, or march in the streets waving the U.S. flag while demanding to receive rights and benefits reserved for Germans? Were the Americans flooding German ER’s expecting to receive free medical treatment? Were they enrolling their children in German schools expecting the Germans to foot the bill for their education? Were they stealing ID’s of German citizens? Were they giving birth to children expecting their offspring to be granted German citizenship accompanied by numerous tax-funded benefits?

I’m sure on any given day, a “few” foreign tourists expect the host country to speak their language, both here and abroad. There’s a HUGE difference between tourists or soldiers expecting to be accommodated; and millions of foreigners arrogantly refusing to speak the language of the country in which they “illegally” reside.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:20 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I have mentioned it, and so have many others.

But let me recap it for you

If I moved to another country for any length of time with the purpose of setting up residency and working **I would learn the language** or at least to the best of my ability. I wouldn't demand that my new country print signs in English, print government forms in English, or in anyway accomadate my inability/point blank refusal to assimiliate to their country.
Furthermore, if I went to a another country to vacation **I would learn enough of that language to get by, as well as have an aid i.e. English to whatever dictionary with me**

Sorry to burst your and the OPs bubble ----- people who are anti illegal immigration and are pissed that Spanish is becoming the de facto language in some states are not ignorant, xenophobic, illiterate, racist hillbillies fresh out of the trailer park. Some of us are actually (gasp!) not hypocritical at all
Spanish may be the de facto language in a few enclaves------but, the vast majority of Spanish only speakers here in the USA are in the lower classes so they have little real power either politically or economically.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Quote:
I’m sure on any given day, a “few” foreign tourists expect the host country to speak their language, both here and abroad.
In Germany many businesses that cater to Americans speak English. Also a very high number of Germans speak English. Almost all the young do. Germans are very well educated.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Spanish may be the de facto language in a few enclaves------but, the vast majority of Spanish only speakers here in the USA are in the lower classes so they have little real power either politically or economically.
So why is everyone so worried about those lower class people then?

Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
In Germany many businesses that cater to Americans speak English. Also a very high number of Germans speak English. Almost all the young do. Germans are very well educated.
Agreed. It has been customary for a large percentage of Europeans to speak English.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
So why is everyone so worried about those lower class people then?
How about that a disproportionate number of the lower class Latinos are illegal?

I would have the same disgust and contempt towards the lower class illegal immigrants if they were of Irish, Nigerian, Russian------hell, of any race/ethnicity.

And; the so-called 'upper class' illegals (of which there are few) would also earn my enmity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration