U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 09:28 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Oh please.

Mexico's so-called ownership ended at the present day boundary of California and Oregon. The recognized border by the international community was the 42 parallel. Above this was Oregon Country. Russia never even had claims into present day California.
For the small group of California natives, that cool, overcast day in March 1812 was a forerunner of massive change. They stood there in astonishment as a large sailing ship came to anchor in the little cove beneath their quiet bluff top settlement. For the next few days, they continued to watch as some twenty-five Russians and eighty Alaskans came ashore, set up a temporary camp, and began building houses and a sturdy wooden stockade - the colony and fortification of Ross.

Russian Settlement at Fort Ross, California, in the 19th Century

Quote:
Do you think that Mexico wanted to deport American immigrants when they invited them to come to Texas?

"Let's invite Americans to take care of the Native Americans and then let's kick them out after the Native Americans are gone?" That was the plan?

Maybe they thought American immigration was a solution to the Native American problem, but realized afterwards the fact that most Americans refused to assimilate into Mexican culture and follow Mexican laws.
Whether it was the plan or not, the entire episode happened in less than one generation, which is about the length of time we as Americans expect legal immigrants and their families to assimilate. Remember, Mexico only owned land in the United States for little more than 24 years.

Quote:
You seriously think Mexico wished to sell their lands for 10 million dollars? The Mexican-US War had nothing to do with it? If someone robbed you of your car at gun point, then decided to give you $10,000 for it, your anger would be "salved"?
They lost the war. Not too many countries are paid for lands that are considered acquisitions of war. Mexico didn't pay Spain for the lands it acquired as a result of the Mexican war for Independence. In the eyes of many, they still got a pretty good deal when you consider the fact that the vast majority of land they gave up was uninhabited and unimproved ranch land at the time.

Quote:
Cry a river for either Russia or Mexico? Please don't get ahead of yourself. I actually wish to deport all illegal immigrants if possible, but I also understand the social complexities of the situation.
The Mexican-American war ended in 1848, one hundred and sixty years ago. Mexico owned land in the U.S. for 24 years. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude that the whinning the reconquista crowd is doing over "stolen lands" is basically without foundation.

Last edited by Kele; 02-16-2008 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:28 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
I agree that current Mexicans have no legitimate "claims" to the American Southwest, I was merely answering the question on how Mexicans would feel if part of their country was overrun by immigrants who didn't wish to assimilate into Mexican culture.
It WAS--and they didn't like it at ALL, and they reacted like MOST countries would, by going to WAR.....surely you're not suggesting we follow suit?...

Old 02-16-2008, 09:37 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
You know what? I never knew about Fort Ross. It looks VERY interesting. I'll look it up after I get back home. Thank you for sharing that.
Happy to....and thanks also to Kele for that "Fort Ross" link,,,,

Old 02-17-2008, 05:46 AM

9,599 posts, read 9,467,492 times
All this talk of "who really owns this land or that land" is just a smokescreen. It is the economy that Americans built that the illegals REALLY want. Mexico still has plenty of land, yet failed to build an economy that can sustain it's own people so now they pawn the people off on us. And then some of them have the audacity to say, "it's our land so we have a right to be here"???

If the former Mexican territories were left as the barron deserts, would they still be claiming ownership? What would be their NEW excuse for illegal immigration?

Old 02-17-2008, 06:29 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
You know what? I never knew about Fort Ross. It looks VERY interesting. I'll look it up after I get back home. Thank you for sharing that.

I agree that current Mexicans have no legitimate "claims" to the American Southwest, I was merely answering the question on how Mexicans would feel if part of their country was overrun by immigrants who didn't wish to assimilate into Mexican culture.
Actually; Mexico is having an 'illegal immigrant' problem with folks from Guatemala and the former country is crying the blues

Hypocrites.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:40 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
All this talk of "who really owns this land or that land" is just a smokescreen. It is the economy that Americans built that the illegals REALLY want. Mexico still has plenty of land, yet failed to build an economy that can sustain it's own people so now they pawn the people off on us. And then some of them have the audacity to say, "it's our land so we have a right to be here"???

If the former Mexican territories were left as the barron deserts, would they still be claiming ownership? What would be their NEW excuse for illegal immigration?
And if Guatemala; even with its large Mayan population were First Wold affluent-------hell yes, Mexico would want that present day country.

Using Ireland as an analogy:

30 years that country was borderline Third World socio-economically------fast forward to today and its per capita income is the same as the USA, over $40K a year.

Back then Northern Ireland wanted no part with the Irish Republic, and religious differences were not the only reason......I suspect the main problem was that N Ireland was more affluent.

Today; the roles between the two enclaves have reversed and it would not surprise me to see N Ireland petition to join the Emerald Isle.

Note too that the Catholic Church is losing influence in Ireland at a dramatic rate.........and, even the infamous IRA basically said 'We Quit'. Pretty tough to get recruits when even the borderline disillusioned young men are given the options of making $$$ legitimately

And a replacement level birthrate of 2.1 children per woman also takes away the desire to start trouble.

BTW: the Irish can thank the 'hated English' for part of their success---------the fact that virtually all Irish people are fluent in English is a huge advantage in today's world. It also helps that most Irish people are quite literate.

In closing; whenever I think of Ireland today, I think of educated, softspoken people listening to Clannad, sitting in (smoke free) coffeehouses and generally living very well-------not a bunch of drunken losers who would fight at the drop of a hat.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:08 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osomd1 View Post
EUREKA!!!!!!!
I seriously doubt you ever had it in the first place.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 PM

126 posts, read 245,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
All mitochondrial DNA is inherited as a single unit, or haplotype, the relationships between mitochondrial DNA from different individuals can be represented as a gene tree. Patterns in these gene trees can be used to infer the evolutionary history of populations. The classic example of this is in human evolutionary genetics, where the molecular clock can be used to provide a recent date for mitochondrial Eve. This is often interpreted as strong support for a recent modern human expansion out of Africa.

Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is not transmitted through nuclear DNA (nDNA), and in most multicellular organisms, virtually all mitochondria are inherited from the mother's ovum, as sperm cells do not contribute any mitochondria.

What else would you like know?
You're doing you homework, good cut and paste job, I'm very proud of you

Last edited by osomd1; 02-17-2008 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 12:35 PM

126 posts, read 245,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Hate crimes against what? Hispanics have more hate crimes against Americans than we do against them.
cnn.com 2/17/08(TODAY)
serial rapist on the loose in Nevada- white male 5'6" tall

Last edited by osomd1; 02-17-2008 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 12:51 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osomd1 View Post
cnn.com 2/17/089TODAY)
serial rapist on the loose in Nevada- white male 5'6" tall
19 years ago?

again, that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or