Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:10 PM

211 posts, read 290,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Things. Change.

Governments. Tumble.

People. Move.

Borders. Shift.

Regimes. Rise.

Etc etc

Humans, somehow, persevere.

So far.

Except that America, a nation that Europeans built up into a world superpower through their creativity, inventiveness and intelligence, is now drowning under a sea of uneducated, uncivilized people and there is no point -- no benefit -- and why is it being pushed on us?

Why are our children being forced to become a minority in the land our forefathers built? Why are we importing people who leech off the system? Why are we importing people who never built a successful society? Who never even had a wheel before we came? Who are bringing us crime, drugs, violence and poverty? Why? Why? Why?

Who is pushing this on us and how do we benefit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Why? Why? Why?
I typed "fallen civilizations" into google and found this quote(you'll have to google yourself if the mods delete):

Quote:
Historcally, traditions and lack of change last as long as the people can get away with retaining that luxury. But if it becomes apparent that change is necessary to avoid destruction, most choose change.
From Michael Troy at about.com

p.s. to the mods: What if a copyright is attributed???

Last edited by plaidmom; 01-03-2007 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Things. Change.

Governments. Tumble.

People. Move.

Borders. Shift.

Regimes. Rise.

Etc etc

Humans, somehow, persevere.

So far.

(probably a bit too esoteric for this board, but what the heck).
Exactly what I posted before. As long as cheap labor and the outsourcing of American jobs keeps the powerful's pockets fatter, we will continue to have problems. Add the escalating debt to China.

Greed will eventually do anyone in, even a superpower!

Old 01-03-2007, 05:38 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Also:

Quote:
Except that America, a nation that Europeans built up into a world superpower through their creativity, inventiveness and intelligence
Google "define hubris".

Quote:
drowning under a sea of uneducated, uncivilized people and there is no point -- no benefit -- and why is it being pushed on us?
Uneducated, uncivilized people...such as? Pop stars? Pro sports icons?
And how about the educated uncivilized? Politicians? CEOs? Corporate criminals.

Pushed upon us????
Baby, we done bought the farm.
Wallow in it.
Every time we spend a dime on some useless crap made in China. Every time we turn on the telly. Every time we pop a Prozac, drive a car, pull through Micky D's.

We are soft.
We are lazy.
We are over medicated.

And we have only ourselves to blame.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:07 PM

131 posts, read 188,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
The illegals in construction I know make about 5-7 an hour. How they live on that is 2-4 families per home and no taxes taken out.. They pool thier money together.
A person needing employees and the will work for these wages,why not? then Fri night they send $20 to their
wife & 8 kids and drink the rest up by midnight.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,297 times
Here in Tampa construction workers that are illegal are making about 9.00, I couldn't get anyone to come out and help around the house legal or illegal for less than 10.00, and I know in 1999, 5.00 was the norm for help but because of low unemployment 5.00 is a joke.
The scary part or not so scary depends on how you look at it the governor Jeb Bush wanted to let them have drivers liscences so they could drive heavy equipment which are very good paying jobs. He said his reason was so they could insure thier vehicles. I think he was lobbied by the contruction companies.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:50 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
Maybe history is repeating itself, as it eventually will, and the coming decline and fall of the US Empire is starting to unfold giving way to a new one: China.

Powerful................

Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

- Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

I'm with Teddy: be proud of your parents' heritage, but consider yourself to be an American.
This is fair. Become an American, and you will warrant every freedom we embrace. That trade-off is supposed to be part of the process: retain ancestral pride, but also be proud to have become an American, as opposed to a hyphenate; and learn the language, the lingua franca, of the rest of the country so you can participate in it as opposed to remaining an isolated enclave limited to total immersion in the culture of your parents' prior "home country."

Illegals depress wages for all entry-level jobs that Americans are desparate for. Illegals retain the mindset of breaking the law here because they broke a rather large Federal law at entry. Illegals are smug that everyone will have to speak the language of the country they left, and consider it "bi-lingualism," forgetting that legal immigrants to the U.S., for the last three centuries, have been from everywhere else on the globe. Learning English is essential for people to communicate with such a farflung array. Africa has Swahili as its lingua franca for all its various tribal languages to communicate with one another. Polyglotism is unacceptable in the modern world. Americans should learn other languages as education, as business assets and for personal preference, not because lawbreakers smugly insist.

On a personal level, I live in Los Angeles where 300 illegal immigrants move here daily. In the past 6 years, I've had 3 cars totalled by them, and all of the police reports required translators (the police were given false information by the one driving without a license.) My immediate neighbors trash and litter everywhere, because there was no cultural prohibition against it in their "home country." The pro-criminality/pro-illegal demonstrators threw eggs at Caucasian people I knew at bus stops. As a pedestrian, I am spit at by people people conversing in foreign languages. 2-bedroom houses near me are inhabited regularly by families of 14. And lastly, it's even difficult to be pleasant, much less even helpful in emergencies, when there is no common language. This I found out in our 1994 earthquake, when it was so difficult to communicate with others here.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Here in Tampa construction workers that are illegal are making about 9.00, I couldn't get anyone to come out and help around the house legal or illegal for less than 10.00, and I know in 1999, 5.00 was the norm for help but because of low unemployment 5.00 is a joke.
The scary part or not so scary depends on how you look at it the governor Jeb Bush wanted to let them have drivers liscences so they could drive heavy equipment which are very good paying jobs. He said his reason was so they could insure thier vehicles. I think he was lobbied by the contruction companies.
Jeb Bush owns construction companies, has one in Miami.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 PM

431 posts, read 393,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Jeb Bush owns construction companies, has one in Miami.
What are the names of the construction companies Jeb Bush owns? I'd like to read about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration