Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,899,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I object.

My grandmother's people, the Apache were here before the English or the Spanish. I demand that the United States of America also make Apache the official language of the United States. Of course, my brothers, the Comanche, Navajo, Algonquin, Chinook, Chumash, the Cree, the Creek, the Mohawk, the Osage, the Sioux, the Shoshone, the Ute, the Cheyenne, the Nez Perce, the Choctaw, and the hundreds upon hundreds of other federally recognized tribes will also demand that their languages be included in this list of official U.S. languages. Simply because our native languages are spoken mainly by the elders of our tribes doesn't really matter. If the United States of America is to become a bilingual country, we as its first residents, demand representation.

Of course, the Russians were in California at about the same time as the Spanish, so Russian will need included in the list of official languages. Also, my father's family and others from the Scandanavian countries were among the first to settle the Great Lakes areas, so on their behalf, I demand that we include Swedish and Norwegian among the official languages of the United States. Additionally, everybody knows that Louisiana was purchased from the French and that many of their progeny still inhabit that area, so French must also be included in the list of official U.S. languages. Oh, and let's not forget the Irish and the Chinese. They were instrumental in the settling of the Americas, so it is only fair that Gaelic and Mandrin Chinese are included in the list of "official" U.S. languages.

But what about the African slaves brought to America against their will? Their contributions to the greatness of this country cannot be denied, so I suggest that we do voluntary DNA testing on African Americans in this country, find their ancestor's countries of origin, and incorporate each and every dialect into the official list of official languages of the United States of America.

After all, each and every one of the above peoples were at least as vital, if not more so, than the Spanish were to the formation of the United States. To exclude any of them would show an extremely racist preference for those of Spanish speaking extraction versus Americans of other nationalities.

BTW, I understood that you called Thomas Jefferson "El Presidente." It still doesn't make any sense, although perhaps if he had even a drop of Spanish ancestry, your clever repartee wouldn't have fallen flat on its face. Unfortunately for you though, Thomas Jefferson was about as Spanish as Bijorn Borg.
lol great post. But aren't you forgetting Norwegian? Vikings may have visited America long before Columbus so we must not leave them out of our rainbow! Oh, lets not forget pig latin!

I can't believe an American (I may use that term loosely as I have no idea where our friend is from) would suggest adopting Spanish officially. Can you imagine any self-respecting Mexican, Colombian, or Uruguay citizen suggesting English be instated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 PM

126 posts, read 279,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I object.

My grandmother's people, the Apache were here before the English or the Spanish. I demand that the United States of America also make Apache the official language of the United States. Of course, my brothers, the Comanche, Navajo, Algonquin, Chinook, Chumash, the Cree, the Creek, the Mohawk, the Osage, the Sioux, the Shoshone, the Ute, the Cheyenne, the Nez Perce, the Choctaw, and the hundreds upon hundreds of other federally recognized tribes will also demand that their languages be included in this list of official U.S. languages. Simply because our native languages are spoken mainly by the elders of our tribes doesn't really matter. If the United States of America is to become a bilingual country, we as its first residents, demand representation.

Of course, the Russians were in California at about the same time as the Spanish, so Russian will need included in the list of official languages. Also, my father's family and others from the Scandanavian countries were among the first to settle the Great Lakes areas, so on their behalf, I demand that we include Swedish and Norwegian among the official languages of the United States. Additionally, everybody knows that Louisiana was purchased from the French and that many of their progeny still inhabit that area, so French must also be included in the list of official U.S. languages. Oh, and let's not forget the Irish and the Chinese. They were instrumental in the settling of the Americas, so it is only fair that Gaelic and Mandrin Chinese are included in the list of "official" U.S. languages.

But what about the African slaves brought to America against their will? Their contributions to the greatness of this country cannot be denied, so I suggest that we do voluntary DNA testing on African Americans in this country, find their ancestor's countries of origin, and incorporate each and every dialect into the official list of official languages of the United States of America.

After all, each and every one of the above peoples were at least as vital, if not more so, than the Spanish were to the formation of the United States. To exclude any of them would show an extremely racist preference for those of Spanish speaking extraction versus Americans of other nationalities.

BTW, I understood that you called Thomas Jefferson "El Presidente." It still doesn't make any sense, although perhaps if he had even a drop of Spanish ancestry, your clever repartee wouldn't have fallen flat on its face. Unfortunately for you though, Thomas Jefferson was about as Spanish as Bijorn Borg.

Well if for nothing else Hispanics are the largest ethnic group in the US with almost 50 million people, by the way did you mention the Pow-Wow's?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,522,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
lol great post. But aren't you forgetting Norwegian? Vikings may have visited America long before Columbus so we must not leave them out of our rainbow! Oh, lets not forget pig latin!

I can't believe an American (I may use that term loosely as I have no idea where our friend is from) would suggest adopting Spanish officially. Can you imagine any self-respecting Mexican, Colombian, or Uruguay citizen suggesting English be instated?
Don't forget Basques. It's pretty well known they had at least one seasonal fishing base near present Red Bay, Labrador in the 1300's....not exactly the US, but North America. Their language has no known ties with ANY other, as far as I know. But does that mean they aren't just as important as anyone else? They have a large presence in Northern Nevada (well, a large presence for THAT area). Also SE Oregon and S. Idaho....

Also lots of old-time Filipinos around Stockton and Sacramento---so don't forget the Tagalog road signs, either....or requiring all government correspondence to be mailed in Manila envelopes...

Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,034,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osomd1 View Post
Well if for nothing else Hispanics are the largest ethnic group in the US with almost 50 million people, by the way did you mention the Pow-Wow's?
Hispanic is a political label only-------they range from Nordic White to Black. There is no 'Hispanic' DNA.

As for the 50 million number; that would include the illegals and their Anchor Babies.

Subtract them; one is looking about about 38-40 million so-called Hispanics.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,034,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Don't forget Basques. It's pretty well known they had at least one seasonal fishing base near present Red Bay, Labrador in the 1300's....not exactly the US, but North America. Their language has no known ties with ANY other, as far as I know. But does that mean they aren't just as important as anyone else? They have a large presence in Northern Nevada (well, a large presence for THAT area). Also SE Oregon and S. Idaho....

Also lots of old-time Filipinos around Stockton and Sacramento---so don't forget the Tagalog road signs, either....or requiring all government correspondence to be mailed in Manila envelopes...
Hispanics try to claim the Basques as well------at least those who hail from Spain.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,295,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osomd1 View Post
no question about ,the British won the race of spreading english in all corners of the world, more important, is the language of business, it would only make sense that english for all the above and Spanish for its elegance and perfect structure, coexist as the two official languages of the US also reflecting our common spanish and anglo backgroud.
Uhm?????? let me consider your suggestion>>>>>>>>>
Ojk Time up. Nope on the spanish course.
I like my ole english just fine thank you.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,522,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Hispanics try to claim the Basques as well------at least those who hail from Spain.
One linguist who's tried for years to trace the origins of the Basque language says that it's literally as close to Japanese as it is to Spanish....or French. He thinks it might be a remnant from some distant Cro-Magnon, or Neaderthal-types---has no known ties with any modern-day language. (Which really doesn't make the "hispanic" label any more imaginative than it already WAS, I suppose...)

Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It would be far wiser if you concentrated on English.

(Thank God for Mexico! After all, if it wasn't for Mexico, we'd all be speaking German and Japanese! )
To be factual with history it wasn't the mexicans nor the allied forces who
defeated the Germans, as we all know it was the Russians who invaded and
conquered Germany. While Montgomery, Eisenhower, and DeGaulle played
chess and drank scotch in Great Brittain the Russians marched into Berlin,
not until German forces were extremely debilitated, the allied disembarked in
Normandy, we are taught in school however that it was us who defeated the germans, in great part the reason for which there is so much resentment
against us americans in Europe most notably England and France, So please
correct the statement about mexicans, it should say, after all, if it wasn't for the Russians we would all be speaking German, thanks for allowing me educate ya'll.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,374,823 times
Total population

Hispanic Americans

"14,78%" of the U.S. population

Old 02-15-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Total population

Hispanic Americans

"14,78%" of the U.S. population
now add the undocumented and you"ll get over 60,000,000!!!!

Last edited by osomd1; 02-15-2008 at 11:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration