U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,469,856 times

Advertisements

Nea1 gave a very good description of what it was like to be an Irish immigrant (and my SO is Irish, so, no I harbor no ill feelings toward the Irish if you are wondering....). In fact I think that experience was true for many ethnic groups as they came to the U.S.

The only two groups that suffered more horribly, from my point of view, were the Native Americans (mistreated in and eventually banished from their own land) and the African slaves as they were brought here unwillingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
My history on the Irish and Italian immigrants is not very good. With this conversation when they came were they given welfare
Welfare, as we know it today, did not exist. NO ONE had welfare. Twas truly an "every man for himself" kind of existance. Whether or not the government should provide welfare to anyone, is of course a topic for another thread.

Quote:
and not have to pay taxes?
I'm perplexed that people think that immigrants (illegal and otherwise) are somehow exempt from taxes. Yes, there may be daylaborers and nannies paid under the table--and the employers need to be punished for that offense. Most immigrants working in hotels, cafes, and for legitimate companies are working with fake docucments. They pay payroll taxes just as you do. The difference? They will most likely never draw Social Security.
The also pay sales taxes and property tax (even if it is through rent) as do legitimate US citizens.

Quote:
Also, were they a problem to the community as far as too many living in a house or apartment.
LOL, yep! Google "tenement apartments " if you want to learn more. It is still common, in large cities, for Asian and Eastern European, as well as Hispanic immigrants to share space to save money. They aren't soft as we suburban Americans are!

Quote:
Did we have to supply special teachers and supplies in our public schools for them to be educated?
Nope. But then we also didn't have to have special ed classes, classes for ADD kids, speech pathology, school psychologists, gay and lesbian proms and million dollar football stadiums either. Face it, education in the US has changed in many ways. And not always for the better.

Quote:
It seems to be racist to be proud to be American.
Nope not at all. As long as your pride doesn't trample on the rights of another proud to be a (fill in the blank).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 PM

33 posts, read 65,323 times
Default Take Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
The best solution would be for the US to TAKE OVER MEXICO! Why hasn't anyone else though of this? Knock down the borders, Integrate the governments, open up all that land down there, etc. Then the "illegals" would simply be Americans, and Mexico would be split up into new American states! Horray for us! Everyone wins!
I totally agree with this solution. I have stated it in many other threads concerning illegal immigration. It seems the only solution. Building a wall is absolutely absurd. The people charging in favor of this need to get real. That is never going to happen and even if it did, Mexicans would figure a way to get across anyway. If they all really want to be here so bad, why don't we just take the whole lot. One continant, one nation, one government.

They would fight it only because... God forbid!.... They might have to pay their own taxes, medical... They would have to learn English in our schools. We would not want to stress their poor children.

But there are many Latinos who are all for integration and assimilation.

At any rate they need to become responsible for themselves in this world. As long as we continue to enable them to use and abuse the system, we will pay dearly, the price.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:24 PM

131 posts, read 129,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The Molly Maguires were about fair labor practices, not cultural assimilation. They were absolutely right in their ideals and their cause, though I don't condone the violence they utilized.
I know at least one group of people who are glad the immagrate came,legal or not.This is these 300lb+ full size women who stink,lazy,don't have teeth.These have all got a boyfriend,and all these $200.00 junk cars are getting sold to haul their lard tails around in. really it's sad huh

Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 PM

431 posts, read 292,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Nope not at all. As long as your pride doesn't trample on the rights of another proud to be a (fill in the blank).

Irish-American
German-American
African-American
Asian-American
Italian-American

I'm looking forward to the day when people are proud to be AMERICAN!! Period. All this ______-American crap! If you are born here, you are an AMERICAN. If you migrate here legally and become a citizen, you become an AMERICAN citizen.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 PM

311 posts, read 549,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
Irish-American
German-American
African-American
Asian-American
Italian-American

I'm looking forward to the day when people are proud to be AMERICAN!! Period. All this ______-American crap! If you are born here, you are an AMERICAN. If you migrate here legally and become a citizen, you become an AMERICAN citizen.
I totally agree! I am an American...if anyone questioned origin of ancestors, I would then supply information.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 PM

23 posts, read 71,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
No they were given nothing. They were beat, spit on, not allowed to work where they could make decent money. They were often homeless, penniless, living in shacks with no sanitary disposal or just in back alleys. Disease took over, many kids didnt live to see there 10th birthday. They were prayed upon by ruthless people that swindeled them and sold their last belongings. They grouped together and formed gangs to get what they needed to live, they became violent and alot turned to drinking to get through the day.
Bingo, Nea1

The Irish coming through NY were met at the docks; cursed, spit-on and during the Civil War were given a rifle and sent to the front to die...

While the Irish coming through New Orleans were given shovels to die while digging the "New Basin Canal'...

All the "Mexican Sypathizers" or doing nothing but spreading their:
Lies
Myths and
Propaganda...

Old 01-03-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Native americans are not illegals of today. What they went through was a disgrace, but we were not talking about them, we were talking about people coming here and the conditions they faced.

Yea!!
And what about when Julius Ceasar rolled into England in 70 ad?
"William the Conqueror" in 1066?
The "Germanic Barbarians" in Rome?
The Jews into Palestine? etc., etc., Ad Nauseum...

Old 01-03-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I think the point here is that it is difficult for Native Americans to have much sympathy for the U.S citizens who complain about immigrants invading their homeland.
Win Some; Lose Some...

Old 01-04-2007, 03:07 AM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Majic View Post
I know at least one group of people who are glad the immagrate came,legal or not.This is these 300lb+ full size women who stink,lazy,don't have teeth.These have all got a boyfriend,and all these $200.00 junk cars are getting sold to haul their lard tails around in. really it's sad huh
HUH??? Seriously, what are you talking about?

Old 01-04-2007, 08:27 AM

405 posts, read 1,130,506 times
My grandparents on BOTH sides of my family came over on the boat from Italy. The had to have sponsors before they could come to the US, usually a relative. Once here they couldn't have the 'good jobs': those were reserved for 'regular Americans'. They lived in an Italian section of Providence (any other sections in Providence ?) because they felt more comfortable around people with the same background and upbringing, as everyone does. They spoke Italian in their homes, LEARNED TO SPEAK ENGLISH and spoke it everywhere else. They were hard-working, law-abiding people who just wanted a better life for their families.

The difference between the immigrants of this era and now -

LEGAL vs ILLEGAL

What is so hard to understand about the difference between these two words that everyone knows the definition of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or