U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,915,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
How many others would try to come the same way? Key West is only 90 miles away and yet do you know how many have died trying?

I think you can tell a Cuban a mile away, if not physically, definitely as soon as we open our mouths.
Interesting they are called migrants not illegal's,,WOW

What is your view?

MIAMI--The number of migrants stopped off the southeastern U.S. coast dropped by more than 40 percent last year, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Officials said Wednesday that the drop was due to a variety of reasons, including stormy weather, fear of increased patrols and political changes in the migrants' home countries.

Coast Guard agents patrolling the waters of South Carolina, Florida and the Caribbean, where migrants from Cuba, Haiti and the Dominican Republic frequently arrive, stopped 6,061 migrants in 2006, down from 10,279 in 2005.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 PM

211 posts, read 219,327 times
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call Castro a "tyrant."

And at one time Cuba was predominately White, or at least half.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,576,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Interesting they are called migrants not illegal's,,WOW

What is your view?

MIAMI--The number of migrants stopped off the southeastern U.S. coast dropped by more than 40 percent last year, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Officials said Wednesday that the drop was due to a variety of reasons, including stormy weather, fear of increased patrols and political changes in the migrants' home countries.

Coast Guard agents patrolling the waters of South Carolina, Florida and the Caribbean, where migrants from Cuba, Haiti and the Dominican Republic frequently arrive, stopped 6,061 migrants in 2006, down from 10,279 in 2005.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines
I don't get your point Sunrico.
Cubans do have special privileges and if you do step on dry US land, you obtain a special "parole" which you convert to a full green card when you have been here one year.
It's different from when my family and I left Cuba in 1961, not at all the same time either, and we came into this country as "refugees". We then had to leave the country to apply for US residency. We went to Canada which was the way to do it at that time

Old 01-04-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call Castro a "tyrant."

And at one time Cuba was predominately White, or at least half.
I need some education here. Please enlighten me. What would you call him?
He's a dictator aside from being a murderous tyrant.

I don't think 50% of pre-Castro Cuba was "white". Whites are the ones you saw. They were the educated, the ones with cars, the ones with TVs even before they came into the US, but it was not the majority. We were settled by the Spaniards but we had native Indians and black slaves. Then everybody got mixed up in there and you have "mulattos". Same thing happened in Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and most of Central America. And to tell you the truth, I was never brought up to notice the difference.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:06 AM

405 posts, read 1,130,586 times
If the people in, say, Cuba or China (just to name two) had weapons their countries would not be communist!

Take away the citizens right to own a weapon, and you take away their freedom.

The US will NEVER be taken over by force because of the millions of law-abiding, hard working citizens who own guns.

----------------------------

I was born and raised in South Florida. All the people I knew who left Cuba during the Mariel boat lift always said that when Castro died they would 'go back to Cuba to rebuild our homeland'.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
If the people in, say, Cuba or China (just to name two) had weapons their countries would not be communist!

Take away the citizens right to own a weapon, and you take away their freedom.

The US will NEVER be taken over by force because of the millions of law-abiding, hard working citizens who own guns.

----------------------------

I was born and raised in South Florida. All the people I knew who left Cuba during the Mariel boat lift always said that when Castro died they would 'go back to Cuba to rebuild our homeland'.
When we left in 1961, everyone who left Cuba was just here temporarily. We were all going back "any day now". We're still here.

The Mariel boatlift was around 1980. That's almost a generation ago. I highly doubt that these families and their offspring will really just pack up and go back to Cuba. To what? There will be groups who will go back to rebuild the island, YES. That will happen and it will not involve just Cubans, but it won't happen overnight. This is actually an official, planned and funded project that will take place.

I, myself, who have not been to Cuba in 46 years and don't remember anything about it, hope it will be a livable, free and prosperous island again so I can retire there and be able to afford my old age. I don't think I could manage as well in the US. But I plan to be a "bird" going back and forth.

What you can't take away is freedom of speech, freedom to think, freedom to feel, and individuality. Weapons don't solve anything.

I hope the US will never allow itself to be taken over. I don't think it will because this land is made up of so so many who had to leave their homeland due to persecution, tyranny, starvation, etc. and have fought very hard to have a better future, that even if it didn't happen to you personally, the pain has been handed down through generations and it will not be allowed to happen here.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:49 AM

405 posts, read 1,130,586 times
Quote:
I, myself, who have not been to Cuba in 46 years and don't remember anything about it, hope it will be a livable, free and prosperous island again so I can retire there and be able to afford my old age. I don't think I could manage as well in the US. But I plan to be a "bird" going back and forth.
I hope for everyone involved that Cuba becomes "livable, free and prosperous" soon.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:36 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,658,763 times
Quote:
He's a dictator aside from being a murderous tyrant.
"Che" Guevera is also to blame! He's the one who fed Castro the twisted ideas for a new Cuba!

Old 01-04-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
I hope for everyone involved that Cuba becomes "livable, free and prosperous" soon.
You're not trying to throw me out are you??

Well, let's just hope that Venezuela doesn't let itself get destroyed also. Chavez and Castro (who hopefully is already dead) should be hanged by their testes.
Funny how this word starts with "test".

Old 01-04-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
"Che" Guevera is also to blame! He's the one who fed Castro the twisted ideas for a new Cuba!
And he was Argentinian.
And what did his friend Castro do to him? Made him disappear off the face of this earth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration