U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:20 PM

87 posts, read 97,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Alexander - I'm Cuban. Born there. Raised here. I empathize so much with the plight of the Cubans. The really terrible conditions on the island. The lack of all of life's basic necessities, including the freedom to even THINK - for almost 50 years. Yet, I agree with you and I believe that Castro would have been assasinated long ago if we (USA) didn't have some of these policies. I believe we either should open our doors to all or to none (that don't follow "procedure").
The USA supported the tyrant Batista (and his American gangster friends) before Castro overthrew him in 1958-1959. Castro then went on the confiscate the large land holdings that had been amassed by Batista's cronies. The land was distributed to poor farmers. That was the root cause of the "anti Castro" sentiment in the USA (which prevails even today).

The economic sanctions that the USA imposes on Cuba directly cause the misery that the Cuban people must live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 01:38 PM

46 posts, read 141,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
You're attempting to compare Mexico and Cuba. Two different scenarios. That's like trying to compare emigration from Mexico and Jewish emigration from Germany during the Holocaust.
Cubans fleeing from Castro= Jews fleeing the Holocaust... Ummmm NO...Me thinks it isn't quite the same thing...

Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,854,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doily View Post
Cubans fleeing from Castro= Jews fleeing the Holocaust... Ummmm NO...Me thinks it isn't quite the same thing...
I hardly think that the over six million Jews who lost their lives during the reign of Hitler would agree with that statement.

That Castro is a dictator cannot be disputed, but his regime can scarcely be compared to Nazi Germany.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:20 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,660,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post

The economic sanctions that the USA imposes on Cuba directly cause the misery that the Cuban people must live with.
That's a weak excuse. The United States is the only country with an embargo on Cuba. Leaving over 200 other nations to trade with.

Try again.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:01 PM

46 posts, read 141,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
You're attempting to compare Mexico and Cuba. Two different scenarios. That's like trying to compare emigration from Mexico and Jewish emigration from Germany during the Holocaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doily View Post

I thought he was comparing the Cubans fleeing Castro to Jews fleeing the Holocaust. I was just saying that if he was then I disagreed. A lot. There is probably very little to nothing in the world you can compare with Jews fleeing the Holocaust.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:44 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,229,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yep. Cubans are considered refugees, and the US offers them help. As we should. Yay, USA!
Using the same logic, why shouldn't the US give 'help' to refugees from countries like Mexico, where the poor have been opressed, their lands stolen, their rights taken? Shouldn't we welcome them the same way we do Cubans??

Of course, I'm being the devil's advocate. There should only be ONE way to come to the US...legally and with quotas. If the Cuban system of life is so terrible that they want to come into a boat and float away, why don't they fight for change?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:00 PM

1,745 posts, read 3,211,041 times
I welcome the Cubans because Castro is such an ass but the Mexicans don't have it that way sorry. The sheer amount of people that are coming here coupled with the fact that they still do live generally free makes it hard to sympathize.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 8,203 times
I am very new to this topic... but so far I find myself shocked with alot that I have read... as human beings I think that we are forgeting an important fact about life. We can not control what we are, in terms of race or background... but we can control who we are as people ... I think that alot would be different if we could trade shoes for a day with someone who we see as an outsider or a migrant... the wet foot dry foot policy in alot of ways gives people hope and who are we as Americans to take it away from them... don't judge a man till you have walked a mile or swam 90 in his shoes...

Old 11-25-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you have been on this board a while then you know it's not about what color someone is. What we are discussing are the financial and cultural impacts 20 million people living here have on tax payers, social services, and neighborhoods. The World is filled with poor, it is sad and it is what it is. 3 Billion people oppressed in Africa and Asia don't impact us. 20 million Illegal Aliens living off social services here do.
I contribute money and clothing every year to poor in their own Countries. I do NOT want my Country turning into a 3rd World Country. We can stop blaming the US for all of these people's problems and start pointing the finger at their oppressive governments.
We get that.
I agree with everything you are saying... I mean no offensive my comment was geared towards what I read on page two... but as yourself I will share my thoughts on this matter as I please...I am trying to see this topic for different stand points and your right I am new but that wont be for long... and I am not blaming the US for these peoples problems I just dont believe we should be turning away one group of people and not the other

Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you have been on this board a while then you know it's not about what color someone is. What we are discussing are the financial and cultural impacts 20 million people living here have on tax payers, social services, and neighborhoods. The World is filled with poor, it is sad and it is what it is. 3 Billion people oppressed in Africa and Asia don't impact us. 20 million Illegal Aliens living off social services here do.
I contribute money and clothing every year to poor in their own Countries. I do NOT want my Country turning into a 3rd World Country. We can stop blaming the US for all of these people's problems and start pointing the finger at their oppressive governments.
We get that.
I agree with everything you are saying... I mean no offensive my comment was geared towards what I read on page two... but as yourself I will share my thoughts on this matter as I please...I am trying to see this topic for different stand points and your right I am new and still learning... I am not blaming the US for these peoples problems I just dont believe we should be turning away one group of people and not the other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration